Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DJI CrystalSky Monitor Owner Discussion by Advexure

I ordered in April and received the high brightness from Advexure's first batch. All I can say is it was worth the wait. The build quality is outstanding and the display is awesome. It is more than just display brightness as the screen has significantly less glare and the images are very crisp. I cannot imagine what the ultra brightness would look like. I am very happy with this purchase.

Can you think of any applications where you would need the ultra bright instead of high bright? I live in So Cal sun but would like to save a little if it's not absolutely necessary

Reactions: Advexure
But in all seriousness. If money is no issue AND you don't mind waiting another 3 months, get the ultra bright, its what I would do. But word is they haven't even started on that production, and they are still trying to get Cendence out so as to not hold up the new Matrice. And then you have backorders to fill.

I'm not waiting that long so I'll have a hi brite next week and will likely be perfectly happy with it and have saved 30%. If I'm not, I'll put the hi-brite on my Mavic and buy the ultra.

Can you think of any applications where you would need the ultra bright instead of high bright? I live in So Cal sun but would like to save a little if it's not absolutely necessary
I live in Colorado so we have to deal with a lot of sun shine being in a semiarid climate along the front range. Probably very similar to Southern California. I really cannot think of situation where the high brightness would not meet my needs. If I had a choice between paying more for 3rd party app support or going with an ultra bright, I would pay more for 3rd party app support. This is really my only disappointment with my purchase.

The following review I think is a good one on the pros and cons of the crystal sky. This fireman is using it in Texas for search and rescue. The video is little long but he does talk about the screen brightness and sharpness.

I ordered in April and received the high brightness from Advexure's first batch. All I can say is it was worth the wait. The build quality is outstanding and the display is awesome. It is more than just display brightness as the screen has significantly less glare and the images are very crisp. I cannot imagine what the ultra brightness would look like. I am very happy with this purchase.

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your experience with the CrystalSky thus far. We can 100% attest from our end as well to the build quality and performance of the CrystalSky, both the 7.85" High and 5.5" High. We appreciate your business, safe flying, and enjoy the CrystalSky.

Gotta say that we've been pretty content with the 1000-nit brightness. Yes, there is still some glare but it's a night and day improvement over standard tablets (even the iPad Pro). Our best recommendation would be to try and get hands on with a 5.5" or 7.85" High Brightness and see it for yourself. Seeing that you're local I could recommend swinging by, or we could take a look and see who we've got down south in your "hood" who are CS owners and see who we could connect you with to have a gander at a CS unit.

I live in Colorado so we have to deal with a lot of sun shine being in a semiarid climate along the front range. Probably very similar to Southern California. I really cannot think of situation where the high brightness would not meet my needs. If I had a choice between paying more for 3rd party app support or going with an ultra bright, I would pay more for 3rd party app support. This is really my only disappointment with my purchase.

The following review I think is a good one on the pros and cons of the crystal sky. This fireman is using it in Texas for search and rescue. The video is little long but he does talk about the screen brightness and sharpness.

As mentioned in an above reply in this post, we've been very content with the 1000-nits of brightness and can't say we've run into any less than ideal situation that impacted flight operation.

That review from Mr. Bryl is fantastic. Thanks for sharing. Great guy, always love seeing what he's up to in the Public Safety and S&R sector of the industry.

Last edited:
Also greatly enjoying the 7.85 HB monitor, pre-ordered at advexure the first day. Worth the wait. I am also waiting on the ultra brite. @2nd2non I am between Palisades and PV throughout the week, we could fly together as our schedules allow and you could see the brightness. Shoot me a message and we'll find a time.

Reactions: 2nd2non
5923a5d89edb3365d7423a579a41d11f.heic

Reactions: Bigdz and Advexure
Crystal sky firmware update available[emoji3]

That would be the FW release from Thursday. You had us thinking they released another within 5 days! Been performing very well.
New CrystalSky Firmware Update Available Today!

CrystalSky firmware version V02.02.09.00 has been released.

What's New?
  • Added availability of battery usage status on the battery page of Quick Settings.
  • Optimized Quick Settings menu and some logos on the page.
  • Optimized compass calibration program.
  • Optimized Wi-Fi connection performance through Quick Settings.
  • Updated battery profile.
  • Fixed an issue where the system crashes when you press and hold down an image in the gallery.
  • Fixed an issue where the monitor displays a green screen for the first few seconds of a local cache video.
  • Optimized stability of both DJI GO and DJI GO 4 apps.
  • Updated DJI GO app to 3.1.10.
  • Updated DJI GO 4 app to 4.1.5.
  • Updated DJI Pilot Beta to 0.3.4.

Question: Does anyone else's battery just absolutely tank when running updates on the CS? On the last update it drained 91% of the its battery from start to finish of the update. Was quite worried about it powering off during the update and bricking the unit.

Reactions: cvanhoose
Well that shows how busy I have been. I checked several days ago and it did not notify me of the update until this morning.

You bet, @Tom Dillon. Enjoy.

Did someone say third-party apps? :cool:
Up to 20 third-party applications are supported and can be removed from System Settings -> Apps. DJI is not responsible for any rights or information involving third-party security applications and does not provide any technical support for third-party application compatibility issues. Please note that CrystalSky does not support third-party apps well.If you experience any problems with a third-party app, remove it or reset to default settings.

Did someone say third-party apps? :cool:

Any idea how this is being implemented though?

Google Play will install but does not run, so how are these going to be installed without 'unofficial' methods ... ?

Full copy of the release notes below:

CrystalSky Release Notes

Date: 2017.11.09

CrystalSky Firmware: V02.04.02.00

DJI GO 3 App:V3.1.18
DJI GO 4 App:V4.1.14
DJI Pilot Beta :V0.3.6

What's New?

• Added Data Transmission on the Quick Settings page to support downloading photos and videos from CrystalSky to your mobile device (DJI GO 4 version should be 4.1.14 or above).

• Added Display Optimization on the Quick Settings page making the camera view display smoother.

• Added three HDMI output modes on the Quick Settings page, including camera view, picture in picture, and copy screen.

• Added daily Data Usage statistics on the Quick Settings page.

• Added high-resolution transcoding in the Editor to support video transcoding rates higher than 1080p into 1080p.

• Added Color Waveform in the camera tool box for users to analyse color distribution (Inspire 2 only).

• Added support for DJI ZENMUSE X7.

• Added support for DJI Cendence.

• Fixed issue where system configuration resets to default values when the screen is rotated 180 degrees.

• Optimized compass calibration program.

• Updated DJI GO 4 app to 4.1.14.

• Updated DJI GO app to 3.1.18.

• Up to 20 third-party applications are supported and can be removed from System Settings -> Apps. DJI is not responsible for any rights or information involving third-party security applications and does not provide any technical
support for third-party application compatibility issues. Please note that CrystalSky does not support third-party apps well. If you experience any problems with a third-party app, remove it or reset to default settings.

I managed to install a few apps. You need to download the APK of the app on crystalsky, then select it in Downloads. First time it will ask you if you want to change setting to trust unknown sources...

Well, we have the basic framework in place now, but I suspect there is more to come before it will be easy to install paid apps.

I'm thinking Paid apps will need:
  • Google Play Store (the newest version you can find)
  • Google Services Framework
  • Google Login Service/Account Manager
Most paid apps require a "link" back to google to verify purchase etc...

To install these without root might be impossible... Would like to see someone try though :)

I'm thinking Paid apps will need:
  • Google Play Store (the newest version you can find)
  • Google Services Framework
  • Google Login Service/Account Manager
Most paid apps require a "link" back to google to verify purchase etc...

To install these without root might be impossible... Would like to see someone try though :)

Tried, failed :)

Google Services shuts down as soon as it is started.

I'm expecting a more DJI-centric solution, hopefully in the near future...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela