Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DJI out of sync with FAA

Reaction score
Website
www.altilux.com
I am clueless as to why DJI continues to force FAA certified pilots to live under their Geo-Fencing code. We know where to fly legally. Last week I had a commercial project that was fully authorized by the ATC, and was in a 400' AGL LAANC area near a Class D airport. DJI's Fly Safe showed my area as a 'altitude' zone on an approach path (not ILS, since it was a SECONDARY landing strip). I was unable to leave the ground with my my Inspire 2. The crazy online authorization simply was not working as I had hoped. So I pulled out my Air 2S and it took off without hassle, BUT would not go above 195' AGL because of the 'altitude' zone. WHAT?!?!? I had FAA ATC formal authorization to fly up to 400' AGL. Who is DJI to overrule the USA airspace authorization when the FAA is solely responsible for its management? This has happened too many times to pro pilots using DJI equipment. We know where to fly. We understand the airspace, and fully appreciate the rules and the importance of safety for all in the airspace. What does DJI continue to employ Geo-Fencing for FAA certified pilots and their aircraft? It is truly frustrating!

I am clueless as to why DJI continues to force FAA certified pilots to live under their Geo-Fencing code. We know where to fly legally. Last week I had a commercial project that was fully authorized by the ATC, and was in a 400' AGL LAANC area near a Class D airport. DJI's Fly Safe showed my area as a 'altitude' zone on an approach path (not ILS, since it was a SECONDARY landing strip). I was unable to leave the ground with my my Inspire 2. The crazy online authorization simply was not working as I had hoped. So I pulled out my Air 2S and it took off without hassle, BUT would not go above 195' AGL because of the 'altitude' zone. WHAT?!?!? I had FAA ATC formal authorization to fly up to 400' AGL. Who is DJI to overrule the USA airspace authorization when the FAA is solely responsible for its management? This has happened too many times to pro pilots using DJI equipment. We know where to fly. We understand the airspace, and fully appreciate the rules and the importance of safety for all in the airspace. What does DJI continue to employ Geo-Fencing for FAA certified pilots and their aircraft? It is truly frustrating!
Fully agree with everything. Do yourself a favor and use drone hacks so you don’t have to mess with that anymore. Even if DJI had some system for unlocking I wouldn’t trust it.

As a commercial UAV pilot who doesn't have the option to "not fly" when crews are standing by @ $1,000/hour or production is costing 10x that, I've been complaining about erroneous DJI GeoFencing for YEARS. Fortunately, after being grounded ONE TIME, I hacked all my drones. Now I can turn GeoFencing on and off like a switch. For example, just last week I demonstrated to a buddy that a non-military, residential zone in my home town is flagged as "military" space more than a dozen miles from the closest military installation.

1659709229412.jpeg

This error popped up after months of servicing a Construction Progress client with no problems. Then, all of the sudden one day, out of the blue, the above error message popped up. Of course I double and triple checked all NOTAM's. As I predicted, there were no notifications for this area. As you can see in the background photo this is a residential area. In this mode my Inspire 1 motors won't even spin up. It took me only a few seconds to clear this restriction and fly as usual. As far as I know, I'm the only UAV pilot I've heard of that can turn GeoFencing on and off like a switch. Brett8883 nailed it. Hack your drone and be done with it. I think "No Limit Drones" is an option many use who don't want to dive into the rabbit hole of software and firmware manipulation.

D

Last edited:
The one you recommended. What else?

Yep...their website is broken. Last snapshot was on July 7. I don't know if they're out of business. I would try emailing them. Use the Wayback Machine to acquire their email address.

D

Linux is not your mother.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhhh....I see you learned how to use the reply feature. Good for you.

Yep...their website is broken. Last snapshot was on July 7. I don't know if they're out of business. I would try emailing them. Use the Wayback Machine to acquire their email address.

D

Thanks Mr. Peabody. I will.

Ahhhh....I see you learned how to use the reply feature. Good for you.

D

Interesting it came up just fine for me maybe it’s time you finally learn how to use a browser

Interesting it came up just fine for me maybe it’s time you finally learn how to use a browser
1659794315528.png

Firefox.
Chrome.
Brave.

You should screenshot your browser downloading a file from nolimitdronez.com. Otherwise, I might suggest you learn how caching works and how to clear it out of your browser.

D

Last edited:
I can't tell you the hours I've wasted because of this, just ridiculous! I'm finding that my new Mavic 3 is more tolerant, why would that be?

I'll just reiterate to hack your drone. I totally agree how maddening DJI's ARBITRARY GeoFencing is. They haven't a clue and they don't care. They're in China. It makes more sense for them to oversize the restricted areas than to undersize them. So that's what they do. The unfortunate reality is that the customer is #2. Good luck.

D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry