Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DJI Pilot App won't connect to RC

Reaction score
Can't get the Pilot app to connect with the RC. Tried just about everything: used iPhone6, iPhone6 plus, Android. Tried running battery on RC out completely. Updated to V01.02.01.06 (26May2015).
Has anyone else had this problem?

Are you on ios or Android? Also what app version?
Regardless of what version you're using, please uninstall and reinstall the app and pay close attention to the prompts whilst trying to connect. I'm tipping you accidentally declined the permissions prompt. I did that after installing my new antennas and I totally almost died thinking I had stuffed up the install lol.
Anyway! Let us know if that helps.

Thanks for the reply. I've the most current of both Android and IOS.
When you advised to uninstall- how does one go about uninstalling the RC and aircraft units?

Thanks for the reply. I've the most current of both Android and IOS.
When you advised to uninstall- how does one go about uninstalling the RC and aircraft units?
Forgot to mention that I installed and uninstalled the app numerous times

Is your RC talking to your AC?
I believe that there is a connection, but not sure if its full on or just a few things e.g. I can move the camera up and down, and start/stop the motors; the light on the AC is flashing slow red.

Does anyone know of a way to reset the RC and/or AC?

I believe that there is a connection, but not sure if its full on or just a few things e.g. I can move the camera up and down, and start/stop the motors; the light on the AC is flashing slow red.
Does anyone know of a way to reset the RC and/or AC?
There is no RC/AC reset other than powering up. There is also little benefit in uninstalling and reinstalling the App - it is not going to fix anything.

You can tell whether the RC is talking to the I1 by its status LED (far left). If it is red it is not connected, green it is connected. Purple and Blue are the same but for the slave. The slow red flashing LED in the I1 tail indicates a low battery warning. If you are seeing the Green LED you need to try and reconnect the RC to the I1 (see page 32 of the User Manual v1.2).

I am not sure what you are expecting to see when you say the Pilot App won't connect to the RC. The Pilot App 1.1.2 really talks to the I1 (through the RC) to display video and settings.

There is no RC/AC reset other than powering up. There is also little benefit in uninstalling and reinstalling the App - it is not going to fix anything.

You can tell whether the RC is talking to the I1 by its status LED (far left). If it is red it is not connected, green it is connected. Purple and Blue are the same but for the slave. The slow red flashing LED in the I1 tail indicates a low battery warning. If you are seeing the Green LED you need to try and reconnect the RC to the I1 (see page 32 of the User Manual v1.2).

I am not sure what you are expecting to see when you say the Pilot App won't connect to the RC. The Pilot App 1.1.2 really talks to the I1 (through the RC) to display video and settings.
-----
Thanks for the reply.
RC shows green (far left).
Battery on I1 is fully charged but light on tail of I1 is flashing red.
Someone has sent me a reset to factory specs file - will try that after work today.
Have tried to reconnect RC to I1 numerous times - no go.
Appreciate your help... Thank you.

-----
Thanks for the reply.
Someone has sent me a reset to factory specs file - will try that after work today.
It looks like you have covered everything I can think of. Sorry I was no help. I would be interested in the factory reset file.

-----
Thanks for the reply.
------
Follow up to above..
The pilot app says disconnect - can see the camera on pilot app but (as indicated above) can move the camera up down etc.. using the RC. Hope that makes sense ...

------
Follow up to above..
The pilot app says disconnect - can see the camera on pilot app but (as indicated above) can move the camera up down etc.. using the RC. Hope that makes sense ...
That should ready "can not" see the camera on the pilot app

The Disconnected indicates the RC is not talking to/receiving data from the I1. The lack of video supports this but the control of the camera indicates the control commands are getting through. It suggests that you have one-way comms RC to I1 and a faulty connection/receiver in your RC. Check your aerial connections. Do you have a second RC? If so I would configure it as a master.

Unfortunately, only have the 1 RC.
Strange part is that the Pilot App worked until the March update; Then it stopped. Not sure if it was the update or the RC simply went bad.

One technique that I was told by the folks are Quadrocopter but have not been able to try myself, is:

1. Start with the I1 and RC powered off and the cable from the iOS device unplugged from the RC.

2. Ensure that you have killed the Pilot app from the iOS device (quick double press the "Select" button to show all the apps loaded, then do an upward flick to remove the Pilot app, then press Select once to get back to the normal screen showing the DJI Pilot app icon).

3. Then power up the I1 and the RC. Wait for both to come up (RC LED green and capable of controlling camera tilt).

3. Then connect up the iOS device cable to the RC.

4. Then start up the DJI Pilot app.

I'll be very interested to hear if this makes any difference. Sounds a bit like some secret ritual, but I could see (from the software point of view ) why it might make a difference --- all the hardware would be up and ready when the Pilot app is first loaded.

Andy.

One technique that I was told by the folks are Quadrocopter but have not been able to try myself, is:

1. Start with the I1 and RC powered off and the cable from the iOS device unplugged from the RC.

2. Ensure that you have killed the Pilot app from the iOS device (quick double press the "Select" button to show all the apps loaded, then do an upward flick to remove the Pilot app, then press Select once to get back to the normal screen showing the DJI Pilot app icon).

3. Then power up the I1 and the RC. Wait for both to come up (RC LED green and capable of controlling camera tilt).

3. Then connect up the iOS device cable to the RC.

4. Then start up the DJI Pilot app.

I'll be very interested to hear if this makes any difference. Sounds a bit like some secret ritual, but I could see (from the software point of view ) why it might make a difference --- all the hardware would be up and ready when the Pilot app is first loaded.

Andy.
Many thanks for the recommendation. Have tried that a few times; also tried to reset the RC by running the gs_ofdm.bin file on the RC and then installing WM610_FW_V01.02.01.06.bin
Unfortunately No luck. Also spent a lot of time trying to contact DJI; unfortunately the service desk people I spoke to at DJI don't seem to have the product knowledge to help. Regrettably, it seems that many other people are in similar circumstances.

There is definitely something non-deterministic (in the sense of "non-repeatable") with what is going on.

This afternoon I tried:
1. I1 powered on.
2. RC powered on (RC LED remained red).
3. Powered up iPad mini.
4. Loaded DJI app.
Instead of "Disconnected" I got "No signal.

So I powered both the I1 and the RC off, waited a couple of minutes, tried again:
1. I1 powered on.
2. RC powered on. Green LED came on this time.
3. Connected up iPad Mini cable.
4. Powered up iPad Mini.
5. Loaded DJI Pilot app.

Worked flawlessly. I think DJI's perhaps got a bug in the way the firmware is handling the communications protocols....and, as I gather they say in Texas, "some days you're the dog, some days you're the bush..."

It makes no sense that the carefully repeated power up/load sequence is not repeatable -- that's usually the sign that something is on the thin edge of working and that timing differences are the only thing that separates working from non-working.

Andy.

Reactions: TransArctic
There is definitely something non-deterministic (in the sense of "non-repeatable") with what is going on.

This afternoon I tried:
1. I1 powered on.
2. RC powered on (RC LED remained red).
3. Powered up iPad mini.
4. Loaded DJI app.
Instead of "Disconnected" I got "No signal.

So I powered both the I1 and the RC off, waited a couple of minutes, tried again:
1. I1 powered on.
2. RC powered on. Green LED came on this time.
3. Connected up iPad Mini cable.
4. Powered up iPad Mini.
5. Loaded DJI Pilot app.

Worked flawlessly. I think DJI's perhaps got a bug in the way the firmware is handling the communications protocols....and, as I gather they say in Texas, "some days you're the dog, some days you're the bush..."

It makes no sense that the carefully repeated power up/load sequence is not repeatable -- that's usually the sign that something is on the thin edge of working and that timing differences are the only thing that separates working from non-working.

Andy.
The RC should always be powered on first NOT the Inspire. There are several reasons for this.
If the Inspire is powered on first it has no digital handshake with the transmitter and is not linked/locked to anything. You are booting the aircraft up with potentially a high 2.4ghz noise floor locally.
By turning on the TX first, it will search for the best available channel with minimum noise. The frequency hopping spread spectrum technology will actively seek out the best available frequency. By then booting the Inspire second, the I1 receiver will look for the unique prefix identifier coming from each packet of data from the transmitter.
In virtually every RC manual you will ever read the manufacturer will never advocate powering on the aircraft first.
There are safety implications in doing it the wrong way round.

That's always been what I've been told, but a couple of times over the past two days, I've landing the I1, powered off to change batteries, leaving the RC powered up -- and when I re-power up the I1 with the new battery, the RC fails to link up (red LED on RC).

I'm in a very sparsely populated area on the West Coast of Vancouver Island, so I don't think stray RFI is to blame....it's as though, sometimes, the I1 fails to find the RC (or the other way around) when the I1 powers up after the RC).

I'm running the latest firmware and 1.1.2 of the app on an iPad mini.

Fortunately, the workaround is easy: power off the I1, pause for five seconds, power up the I1.

Andy.

That's always been what I've been told, but a couple of times over the past two days, I've landing the I1, powered off to change batteries, leaving the RC powered up -- and when I re-power up the I1 with the new battery, the RC fails to link up (red LED on RC).

I'm in a very sparsely populated area on the West Coast of Vancouver Island, so I don't think stray RFI is to blame....it's as though, sometimes, the I1 fails to find the RC (or the other way around) when the I1 powers up after the RC).

I'm running the latest firmware and 1.1.2 of the app on an iPad mini.

Fortunately, the workaround is easy: power off the I1, pause for five seconds, power up the I1.

Andy.
Have you checked how much noise is present by going into the spectrum analyser on the app? You may be surprised and see a spike or two even though you are in the wilds.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaricruzRa