Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Dji/Tarot x6 build

Reaction score
I am currently working on an alternative build to a dji s1000. I have a tarrot x6 with cobra motors, e600 ecs, and now just got a a2 flight controller off a crashed s1000. I have an inspire 1 pro that I am hoping I can take the x5 off and mount to the x6 using the matrice mounting system to eventually be able to dual mount a zenmuse xt with the x5 for weight vs a dslr setup. So my question is how can I make the x5 and a2 work with inspire 1 remotes? Do I need lb1 or what? I am somewhat lost as to what else I need now as this is my first serious build. Also can a zenmuse z30 work with an a2 and lb1 as well? Thanks!

Interesting project. While I can't answer your questions directly, I have some experience with some of the equipment you mention. I should first caution you that if you plan on doing any kind of waypoint flying, the A2 is not the way to go. Programming waypoints is very persnickety, confusing and unintuitive. Compared to today's offerings, the S1000 waypoint program (can't remember what it was called) was a nightmare.

In addition, the S1000 "Spreading Wings" was known for its lack of reliability. YouTube was loaded with completely random crashes, including some on-set crashes that left aerial company pilots with a lot of egg on their face. Since the A2 is the flight controller for the S1000, I would be highly suspect of using that FC in any bird carrying a payload of any value.

My personal flight experience with the S1000 is just slightly short of terrifying. I flew one with an $80,000 LIDAR payload. Once. After landing I told my business partner, "I would ground this bird and never fly it again." This wasn't due to anything physically wrong with the bird. It's just not a good design. My advice was followed by the purchase of an M600 Pro, which is light years beyond the S1000. I now fly that $80K payload with complete confidence. But I digress.

My experience with Tarrot is one of frustration, simply due to lack of support. Their products aren't bad - and I had some success using them in custom setups - but this was due to an insane amount of research, diligence and experimentation on my own using my own time. Like most Chinese companies, Tarrot (at the time) was completely dependent on their customers to "self-support" one another.

Anyway...not here to discourage your build. I'm just here to suggest that you fully test the bird sans payload to see if it's really the platform you want to use to carry around an expensive FLIR and/or X5 camera.

D

I really appreciate the response! Looking for an insight I can get! I myself am very new to custom builds but I have my buddy that has been building since drones were a thing helping me to make sure we do it right, and test it till we find a problem to see if it is a consistent solution. Everything I have bought I have paid less than half of msrp for the build and most of it was significantly less than half. I have almost nothing in this setup. You wouldn't believe me if I told you. If I thought I could sell things off and come out somewhat even to a matrice I would do it but the cost involved is more than I have to throw at it and I don't have enough huge business gigs to justify taking that leap of faith yet. Open to any ideas or suggestions but I will be sure to keep anyone interested up to date on everything we test. May start a YouTube channel soon so people can follow the project and others too.

Reactions: ClaudioNC
the S1000 "Spreading Wings" was known for its lack of reliability. YouTube was loaded with completely random crashes, including some on-set crashes that left aerial company pilots with a lot of egg on their face. Since the A2 is the flight controller for the S1000, I would be highly suspect of using that FC in any bird carrying a payload of any value.

My personal flight experience with the S1000 is just slightly short of terrifying
Can the facts and misdeeds of the S1000 extend to the S900 as well?

Congrats on the Custom build, keep in mind most custom builds are passion & challenge. Most of time even with intentions to "save" funds, will end up consuming more than the off-the-shelf platforms.

I'd be interested where you take this custom build... I've had an interest in similar using alternate platforms and transplanting DJI gear.

A similar discussion in 2019 may help... not an exact route but similar.

The XT & Z30 gimbal mounts will mount to any rail of proper dimensions. But the electronic interface to my knowledge is A3 or A3 Pro with LB2 only. It's more a FW issue and if the hardware will be acknowledged.
The A3 / LB2 Kit that duplicates the M600Pro has slightly different FW... accepting all payloads except for the XT2 that the M600Pro accepts. Not limited by physical connectivity, just FW allowance.

For a contrast of viewpoint... I'll deviate a bit from your original question.
I have a "in project" S1000, sitting on shelf collecting dust 50-60% completed.
I've obtained different gimbal mounts and changed battery mount location to mid-mount.
It's a project of challenge & entertainment... and a Winter busy time project.
Little custom work grinding and making a few parts from carbon plates and tubes.

@Donnie Frank is spot on with his comments, the S900 & S1000 were early technologies that had their Pros & Cons. The S900 was more popular and stable; the larger Octal S1000 was targeted at the big payload platform. It did perform, but it also had multiple issues.

A S1000 stock, in comparison to current technology I don't think I'd take that direction when a M600Pro is ready made and so much ahead of the S1000 A2 or N electronics. A Used M600Pro can be found for about the same as I've seen used S1000 Kits.

That said, I'd also add... You're into custom builds that's a different consideration and may exceed a M600Pro; the S1000 does have a path that makes it a heavy lifter, much more than a M600Pro and greatly improved in stability & reliability to the stock S1000.

Main change I'd suggest is moving to A3 Pro; the S1000 PDU and Main boards were very robust & reliable. The Main Airframe was also substantial and sturdy... although additional base plates were available too. Using the A3 Pro and Lightbridge 2 electronics essentially duplicates the M600Pro Electronics and acceptable payloads: X5, X5R, XT, or a multitude of 3rd party on RoninMX or Gremsy Gimbals. The only payload lacking from M600Pro is the XT2 due to FW restrictions between M600Pro & A3 /LB2 kit.

You're taking an alternate Motor route, I'm interested in your direction. I took a different route; removed the stock Motors, ESC modules and 15" plastic "highly flexible" props with DJI's own Improved hardware: E1200 Tuned Propulsion System (E1200 TSP) that includes new motors (lower RPM, higher torque), greatly improved ESC's and 17" Carbon Props similar to M600Pro 21" Carbon Props. This will also involve mods to replace & extend Motor Arms and Landing Gear with new carbon tubes.

The S1000 can be configured to run Tandem Packs using smart LiPo packs at a much lower cost than TB48S units with equal or greater run time. That "may" be a justified "Pro" if used in various arenas... charging of LiPo's & Cost.

Got a Little side tracked... but if the S1000 appeals, and you're into playing with a Custom route consider the A3Pro / LB2. The cost of the LB2 Receiver if not purchased with LB2 Kit isn't great for a custom build.

Added just for info if interested:
This is the URL to the DJI E1200 TPS, they are very hard to find now.
I located 3 sets (Globally), 2 new & 1 Used in case I decided to build a 2nd S1000.

Helped adapt this wire mount for M600Pro & S1000 Rails... looks like Vendor name has changed since I was involved. This can take RoninMX / Gremsy mounts and the M600Pro XT & Z30 gimbal mounts.

Last edited:
Reactions: rbycapri
Can the facts and misdeeds of the S1000 extend to the S900 as well?
aside from N or A2 electronics...
I'd say the cheap flexible plastic props on both S900 & S1000 were big part of the instability. Swap out quality props on stock package would probably improve it a lot. The Xoar props are a great example.

Fly both the M600 Pro w/D-RTK as well as a few s1000s. Started building with the smaller 350/450/500 class drones--the A2 was an ok unit, but when I built my first s1000 moved to the A3 pro. A2 was not as stable and lacked payload flexibility--from my experience, the A3 pro with LB2 on the s1000 flys as stable as the M600 Pro and I feel it is more agile craft. The M600 is a better integrated package and the battery redundancy gives you more confidence in the air. My primary s1000 with the A3 pro is configured with (2) 10k mah batts in parallel for increased flight time and a bit of redundancy. To part of your question, the A2 does not allow for the payloads you mention. I have experience flying the X5, X5r and Z30 on the s1000 using the A3 and Lightbridge 2. I would also support improving the quality of video by installing a wire damper mount. I installed wire damper system on my s1000 and when center mounting either the X5r or z30 and I noticed a significant improvement in the quality of captured video.

Fly both the M600 Pro w/D-RTK as well as a few s1000s. Started building with the smaller 350/450/500 class drones--the A2 was an ok unit, but when I built my first s1000 moved to the A3 pro. A2 was not as stable and lacked payload flexibility--from my experience, the A3 pro with LB2 on the s1000 flys as stable as the M600 Pro and I feel it is more agile craft. The M600 is a better integrated package and the battery redundancy gives you more confidence in the air. My primary s1000 with the A3 pro is configured with (2) 10k mah batts in parallel for increased flight time and a bit of redundancy. To part of your question, the A2 does not allow for the payloads you mention. I have experience flying the X5, X5r and Z30 on the s1000 using the A3 and Lightbridge 2. I would also support improving the quality of video by installing a wire damper mount. I installed wire damper system on my s1000 and when center mounting either the X5r or z30 and I noticed a significant improvement in the quality of captured video.
Great to hear... and I'd agree, the S1000 with A3Pro LB2 is very stable. Both M600Pro & S1000 being large crafts have a agility not found on smaller platforms.

Interesting. I just got done building a Tarot X8 with a Pixhawk 2.1 controller, then tore that apart to prototype on a Tarot X4 frame. I have an S1000 with a pixhawk controller that I was given. I am in the process of fixing it up. I was able to come into a bunch of parts, and currently have it almost air worthy. I am going to upgrade the flight controller and install an RTK GPS, and run a Herelink and Gremsy Gimbal. I have a Ronin M that was given to me also, I still have to test it and see if it works.

Interesting. I just got done building a Tarot X8 with a Pixhawk 2.1 controller, then tore that apart to prototype on a Tarot X4 frame. I have an S1000 with a pixhawk controller that I was given. I am in the process of fixing it up. I was able to come into a bunch of parts, and currently have it almost air worthy. I am going to upgrade the flight controller and install an RTK GPS, and run a Herelink and Gremsy Gimbal. I have a Ronin M that was given to me also, I still have to test it and see if it works.
Sounds like you're enjoying the experimentations too! The M600Pro is a fast setup, but experimenting adds to the challenge & outcome.

A Tarot X4... are you going with 4 motor or 8 motor: 4 pusher / 4 puller. I saw a X4 Octal a year or so back, almost purchased it... pondered a few days to long. It looked very intriguing with the push/pull setup. Smaller platform with equal power & payload.

Regarding the Gremsy vs the Ronin MX... the MX was for the aerial version. It's heavier than either Gremsy model and takes (in my opinion) longer to setup and ready for flight. I've had 2 RoninMX units (sold 1 recently) and looking to get a Gremsy S1v3 or T3 as a lighter payload. Plus Gremsy has done a good job integrating DJI and other Electronics into their center head unit. I'm interested in Sony A7Riii or Workswell WIRIS Pro Thermal series. Too many projects in the mix at moment so on hold for now.

The Herelink looks like a good solution with Pixhawk. I'm looking at the Airpixel Air Commander V2 to fully control the Sony A7 features using the Flight tablet or 2nd screen for viewing.

The S1000 is an aged craft with aged characteristics in native form, that can be made into a great craft modified in electronics & power supplies. The Octal is intriguing & appealing to build, another project in partial completion waiting for a Winter period of time to continue. As mentioned above, I'm going with the LB2 A3Pro setup.

I did purchase a NOS full DJI aerial & ground RTK kit for the M600Pro. But that's more for high interference than Image accuracy. My intentions at the time were more for tower inspections... I think similar to all DJI RTK options for DJI Platforms.

On an abstract direction, for the large platform: M600Pro or S1000. The aerial unit sold by ThrowFlame has gotten FAA approval to be placed back on market. I'm planning to purchase 1 unit for Agriculture work, several interested parties interested in the usage for staging ditch burns or field burns vs several men working the ground getting a large controlled burn started. Flying a aerial flame thrower has practical Ag use and sounds like a blast!

Good Luck on the build-ups!

Sounds like you're enjoying the experimentations too! The M600Pro is a fast setup, but experimenting adds to the challenge & outcome.

A Tarot X4... are you going with 4 motor or 8 motor: 4 pusher / 4 puller. I saw a X4 Octal a year or so back, almost purchased it... pondered a few days to long. It looked very intriguing with the push/pull setup. Smaller platform with equal power & payload.

Regarding the Gremsy vs the Ronin MX... the MX was for the aerial version. It's heavier than either Gremsy model and takes (in my opinion) longer to setup and ready for flight. I've had 2 RoninMX units (sold 1 recently) and looking to get a Gremsy S1v3 or T3 as a lighter payload. Plus Gremsy has done a good job integrating DJI and other Electronics into their center head unit. I'm interested in Sony A7Riii or Workswell WIRIS Pro Thermal series. Too many projects in the mix at moment so on hold for now.

The Herelink looks like a good solution with Pixhawk. I'm looking at the Airpixel Air Commander V2 to fully control the Sony A7 features using the Flight tablet or 2nd screen for viewing.

The S1000 is an aged craft with aged characteristics in native form, that can be made into a great craft modified in electronics & power supplies. The Octal is intriguing & appealing to build, another project in partial completion waiting for a Winter period of time to continue. As mentioned above, I'm going with the LB2 A3Pro setup.

I did purchase a NOS full DJI aerial & ground RTK kit for the M600Pro. But that's more for high interference than Image accuracy. My intentions at the time were more for tower inspections... I think similar to all DJI RTK options for DJI Platforms.

On an abstract direction, for the large platform: M600Pro or S1000. The aerial unit sold by ThrowFlame has gotten FAA approval to be placed back on market. I'm planning to purchase 1 unit for Agriculture work, several interested parties interested in the usage for staging ditch burns or field burns vs several men working the ground getting a large controlled burn started. Flying a aerial flame thrower has practical Ag use and sounds like a blast!

So on the X4 I built just a quad. The specific application this one is for I do not need the weight capacity of Octal 4 provides. We have some at work since we use the BFD's and now currently replacing the M600Pro with the Prism heavy lift for Lidar and Methane detection.

Effectively what I am building is similar to the M300 in size. Currently using smaller motors with the plans to change them.

IMG_1943.jpg

Here is a video of some of the early test flights.

I am currently working on an alternative build to a dji s1000. I have a tarrot x6 with cobra motors, e600 ecs, and now just got a a2 flight controller off a crashed s1000. I have an inspire 1 pro that I am hoping I can take the x5 off and mount to the x6 using the matrice mounting system to eventually be able to dual mount a zenmuse xt with the x5 for weight vs a dslr setup. So my question is how can I make the x5 and a2 work with inspire 1 remotes? Do I need lb1 or what? I am somewhat lost as to what else I need now as this is my first serious build. Also can a zenmuse z30 work with an a2 and lb1 as well? Thanks!
Hello! May I check what the weight of the Tarot X6 frame is alone? That is without electronics, motors, batteries or payload. Thank you!

Hi how's everyone doing!!! Well I need help with information on gimbal mounts for my DJI spreading wings S1000 to convert to the matrices 600 gimbal so I can use the matrices payload dropper, could anyone tell me the best route I should take,I have the gremsy set up right now on my S1000

Hi how's everyone doing!!! Well I need help with information on gimbal mounts for my DJI spreading wings S1000 to convert to the matrices 600 gimbal so I can use the matrices payload dropper, could anyone tell me the best route I should take,I have the gremsy set up right now on my S1000
What are you running... A3 Pro and LB2. If so you're duplicating the M600Pro. IF on older hardware, not sure.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop