Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Do you guys break-in your Lipos? Here's how...

ok. i missed that one then lol... but mind of did this... not exactly to the point but my I1 yells at me when at 20% but i got down earlier often... :)

I fly and land at 30%. I do not recharge until a day before I fly. Do the same with my transmitter battery as well.

Why is this break in process not recommended by DJI? I just bought 2 new 48's and have with them several times, thinking I need to take them down to 20%...I have returned the Inspire at 30% and have let it hover for a while to get it down to 20%, thinking this was what I should be doing. I don't understand why we have to catch these videos by chance and that the manufacturer is not telling us to break the batteries in like this video has shown.

I'm assuming that this video is accurate and this is what we should be doing? (thanks for the video)

What the heck?

Took this excerpt from Battery University, which seems to be well respected for accurate info.

"A rechargeable battery may not deliver its fully rated capacity when new and will require formatting. While this applies to most battery systems, manufacturers of lithium-ion batteries disagree. They say that Li-ion is ready at birth and does not need priming. Although this may be true, users have reported some capacity gains by cycling after long storage."

Web page here:
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prime_batteries

Lots of info at this site. Worth a read.

Why are we assuming this video is accurate? (with all due respect to JD?). What does he know and where does how does he base this information on?

Point well taken...if this is a "best practice," it would really have been nice to have been aware of this from the getgo. I don't think this is a big deal, just would be nice to clarify how we should be taking care of our batteries .

I've never heard of 10&10...The way I've always "primed" a lipo and the way I was shown is simply discharging on my discharger down to it's repective point (3s 11.1...4s 14.8...6s 22.2 and than simply recharging it, I would never fly a brand new battery, that's just a risk altogether)

However none of this info actually applies to a inspire (can't say for the phantom) as it requires the battery to be fully charged when you first receive it and tells you to do so in the app and from what I understand you don't wanna fly the Inspire on a half *** battery anyway. Now you could probably do this without using the app, but then you wouldn't be able to monitor the battery while flying and you have to guesstimate the time frame. On top of that I get errors all over the place when putting in a new battery, it knows when it's a brand new battery since it tracks all the info about it.

DJI wanted the guess work out of the Inspire all together and they very much succeeded. I really don't think this is required for an Inspire...if you're looking to prolong the lifespan of your battery just pay attention to your flying, set your limits to like 30% and 20% (any lipo should only utilize 80% of it's capacity) If you happen to go beyond 80%, it's not the end of the world, just make sure to put it on the charger as soon as you can, like when you get home, until about 23.1-23.3ish (this is considered storage mode on standard 6s lipo) this is a bit tricky to do as you will have to check the life through the inspire and the app to get it right. Set your discharge from 10days to like 2 or 3 days, this part irritates me a little bit, as with my standard lipos they never remain fully charged unless I'm flying that day..the longer a battery sits charged the chemical begins to break down faster which lowers life expectancy but again guesswork removed, so on DJI smart lipos this could be different.

Reactions: The Editor
I know JD and I know he's been around.and have bought form him. BUT it Does not answer the question. JD where did you get this information? This goes against many other conflicting information on how to properly condition the Inspire 1 lips. Not saying I disagree but its not what many other sites say about to condition. Just wondering
Experience. He's been around and flying for some time.[/Q

Just received my Inspire 1. I am confused if I should break them in or not?

Still waiting on the verdict... Here's hoping JD comes back with an answer before Monday when I will be taking it out for the first time!

I've never heard of 10&10...The way I've always "primed" a lipo and the way I was shown is simply discharging on my discharger down to it's repective point (3s 11.1...4s 14.8...6s 22.2 and than simply recharging it, I would never fly a brand new battery, that's just a risk altogether)

However none of this info actually applies to a inspire (can't say for the phantom) as it requires the battery to be fully charged when you first receive it and tells you to do so in the app and from what I understand you don't wanna fly the Inspire on a half *** battery anyway. Now you could probably do this without using the app, but then you wouldn't be able to monitor the battery while flying and you have to guesstimate the time frame. On top of that I get errors all over the place when putting in a new battery, it knows when it's a brand new battery since it tracks all the info about it.

DJI wanted the guess work out of the Inspire all together and they very much succeeded. I really don't think this is required for an Inspire...if you're looking to prolong the lifespan of your battery just pay attention to your flying, set your limits to like 30% and 20% (any lipo should only utilize 80% of it's capacity) If you happen to go beyond 80%, it's not the end of the world, just make sure to put it on the charger as soon as you can, like when you get home, until about 23.1-23.3ish (this is considered storage mode on standard 6s lipo) this is a bit tricky to do as you will have to check the life through the inspire and the app to get it right. Set your discharge from 10days to like 2 or 3 days, this part irritates me a little bit, as with my standard lipos they never remain fully charged unless I'm flying that day..the longer a battery sits charged the chemical begins to break down faster which lowers life expectancy but again guesswork removed, so on DJI smart lipos this could be different.
The Inspire packs are very easy to charge up to storage charge...... Just put them on charge and wait until the third light JUST begins to flash. You are then at 3.85v per cell so 50% for the pack. You can verify this by putting the pack in the Inspire and looking in the app. I have found this is spot on every time by this method and I just leave my packs at 50% charge if I am not flying for a few days.
The thing I do not like doing is taking the packs down to circa 5% or total cut off as the whole concept is alien to me to do this to a lipo but if you do not go through this procedure every 20 charge cycles or so then the Inspire loses the ability to accurately guage remaining battery capacity. It seems this is a necessary step (unfortunately).

The Inspire packs are very easy to charge up to storage charge...... Just put them on charge and wait until the third light JUST begins to flash. You are then at 3.85v per cell so 50% for the pack. You can verify this by putting the pack in the Inspire and looking in the app. I have found this is spot on every time by this method and I just leave my packs at 50% charge if I am not flying for a few days.
The thing I do not like doing is taking the packs down to circa 5% or total cut off as the whole concept is alien to me to do this to a lipo but if you do not go through this procedure every 20 charge cycles or so then the Inspire loses the ability to accurately guage remaining battery capacity. It seems this is a necessary step (unfortunately).

I agree. I just couldn't remember where that point was...For me it was just between the end of the 2nd led and start of the 3rd like you say, anywhere in there and you should be fine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry