Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Does anyone own a P3 and I1?

Reaction score
I am a P3 owner. Love it. Lust after T1. Does it make any sense at all to have both?

Please help!

Thanks.

I am a P3 owner. Love it. Lust after T1. Does it make any sense at all to have both?

Please help!

Thanks.
Lust aside... The advantage IMO to owning an inspire is purely the size of the aircraft (yes size does make a difference). The inspire is more stable in gusty conditions.

360 unobstructed views... This is actually worthwhile even if you are a pilot flying and shooting solo

Dual operator mode... Again, most folks don't use this capability due to how hard it can be to properly crew a shoot team. If you have the personnel, it's definitely provides a step-up with regard composition and active framing.

Past that, the basic functionality is about the same and the cost for a P3 is about half that of inspire.

Thats's the skinny from someone who's flown both platforms and likes them both (for different reasons)

I have both. you get speed with the I1. It looks cooler. but....

with l1 if you break it, you get
1. 6-8 weeks wait time to fix it because they won't allow you to do it
2. One nationwide service center because DJI won't allow repair centers
3. 7 days to make sure it works.. if it doesn't, you have to wait 2 weeks for a replacement...at least.
4. No online sales support other than 9 hour old emails from china. Make sure you don't buy one from their online sales. There's no human being you can verbally speak with.....just emails where they don't help you with your problem and tell you "Best Regards"
5. Techs that tell you "I don't know buddy, it's just the way it is."
6. very expensive repairs
7. Higher battery costs.
8. No ground station as of yet.

save yourself a headache and drive faster in your car to your location where you fly your phantom. Enjoy it. Video quality is about the same if not the same. You gain about 20 mph with the inspire.

Ill be honest. For the money you spend, you would think it would be a better experience. But it's not. DJI has very poor communication and customer service.

I have both. you get speed with the I1. It looks cooler. but....

with l1 if you break it, you get
1. 6-8 weeks wait time to fix it because they won't allow you to do it
2. One nationwide service center because DJI won't allow repair centers
3. 7 days to make sure it works.. if it doesn't, you have to wait 2 weeks for a replacement...at least.
4. No online sales support other than 9 hour old emails from china. Make sure you don't buy one from their online sales. There's no human being you can verbally speak with.....just emails where they don't help you with your problem and tell you "Best Regards"
5. Techs that tell you "I don't know buddy, it's just the way it is."
6. very expensive repairs
7. Higher battery costs.
8. No ground station as of yet.

save yourself a headache and drive faster in your car to your location where you fly your phantom. Enjoy it. Video quality is about the same if not the same. You gain about 20 mph with the inspire.

Ill be honest. For the money you spend, you would think it would be a better experience. But it's not. DJI has very poor communication and customer service.

Very helpful. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I'm not trying to be pessimistic here. Please don't get me wrong. If you are expecting great customer service. well, look around the forums. I am normally a very level headed person and don't react to stuff like this but it has not been a good experience. Not a single DJI rep has reached out to me to see if there was something they could help with. Instead, wait times on the phone and being blown off by email support.

I'm not trying to be pessimistic here. Please don't get me wrong. If you are expecting great customer service. well, look around the forums. I am normally a very level headed person and don't react to stuff like this but it has not been a good experience. Not a single DJI rep has reached out to me to see if there was something they could help with. Instead, wait times on the phone and being blown off by email support.
You are correct for the most part about customer service and repair... But this is a DJI wide issue, not specific to this platform or that. You CAN do more self service work on a Phantom (or at least you could) Motors, body, legs etc... But if you have a hard crash, you'll need professional help, not to mention the camera and gimbal... Phantom has fewer moving parts so it will tolerate a light crash better. Guess the question a=is if the airframe provides what you want in a copter or if overall ruggedness is more important.

I understand that perfectly.

As I said in original post, I have a P3. I love the P3, but the DJI customer facing side of the business is a joke (maybe even a fraud). But, I have so much fun with their product . . .

DJI is out raising PI money, so shortly their grotesque customer service will have to improve.

Reactions: jon b

Please help!

Thanks.
Ya man...
I'm waiting to get my p3a ,but my brother has both so I can tell you what he said and give you my opinion as well...
The p3 is a great drone but the i1 is in a class of its own and will be for some time..
Both use the same app,but they are a little different when connected to the birds..
The i1 is about 13 mph faster but has similar range as the p3...
My brother feels more comfortable flying the p3 just for the fact it's about half the price so if lost its less of a hit...

The p3 qnd i1 are similar to each other but there's something very intriguing about the i1..she's a sexy beast..

Most people who own both prefer the i1 ..

If you use drones for work then it makes sense to have both because u would have backup and could use the p3 in tight places..

So basically it makes sense if you enjoy flying cool drones..the more the better. .
turbo. .

Reactions: sirnikolas
Also welcome to inspirepilots.com Yogi !!

Thanks. Good to be here.

And thanks to my friend "turbodronepilot" from above who has almost convinced me to part with a lot of money.

I love this **** - makes me smile every time I fly my P3. Reminds me of when I was young and "flew" Estes rockets . . .

Reactions: turbodronepilot
Hi

I bought the phantom 3 1080p version and was blown away by its performance and agile handling.. I flew it twice and then the UK weather was awful for two weeks windy etc.. anyway I was on Ebay and saw the Inspire for sale at a good price with two batteries.. so I bought it......

the inspire is soo much better .. it has it good points and bad,, but overall its great fun to fly and the camera and gimble is brilliant

needless to say the the phantom 3 hasn't been out since those two flights I have the second battery now and have never charged it... might even sell it as its a shelf queen nowdays

buy the inspire and be amazed and inspired lol

If you're going to buy a sexy I1, be sure to buy it from your local hobby shop where you'll get face to face customer service. And make sure to ask all the if questions and then based on the if answers, make your decision then. I've had a Phantom, but mate, you cannot compare it to the I1. Once you fly her, only then you'll truly understand why we love her so much.

I've had a P3 for around a month now and thoroughly enjoyed the experience and been impressed by its capabilities both in terms of flying and photography. The trouble is that where I live in South Wales, it's very windy so a lot of days it just can't be flown without a lot of wobble and fighting, or I just don't feel comfortable.

Since I am a 3D surveyor by trade, I saw huge potential in aerial imagery acquired from these machines (I've been doing similar with kite-lofted SLRs for years).

So next week I am taking delivery of an Inspire 1 and look forward to enjoying the positive benefits of both devices that we read about on this forum.

i'd like to add something in regards to tech support. in the r/c world support doesn't really exist. you use to buy a airplane kit which consisted of a box of balsa wood for 400 bucks and that's it. 500 dollar radio, 400 dollar gas engine, fuel tank, 500 bucks in electronics, the skill need to glue, assemble, cover correctly and the months in time it took to actually put together before 1 minute of time in the air. you were tech support for yourself. even the engines and electronics, once you give them your money, you own it.

in r/c standards DJI is pretty dam good. they have a phone number you can call and actually talk to someone and if a part is truly faulty they will fix it for the cost of shipping. any other brand this doesn't exist anywhere. a true r/c hobbyist knows, you break it, you buy the replacement part and fix it yourself. there is no "return it" or 'send it in for repair" unless your made of money to pay someone to do it for you.

you guys have no idea how hard it is to make an aircraft that's "flyable" dji has a product that dam near works perfectly out of the box no assembly and will fix parts if they are bad for free.

get some perspective, go buy a real r/c helicopter kit, gas or electric i don't care, put it together, fly it then bash DJI for bad customer service.

If you're going to buy a sexy I1, be sure to buy it from your local hobby shop where you'll get face to face customer service. And make sure to ask all the if questions and then based on the if answers, make your decision then.

In fact I did just that. After pondering the cheap grey imports on the internet, I found these guys who are local to me and who offer 2 hours of training in the price (which was the same as all the other UK authorised dealers). Seems good to me :)

I'm going to disagree on the inspire purchase place. Go with Amazon, fulfilled by Amazon. P3 might be ok from loca hobby shop, but you'll need 30 days from Amazon to make sure you don't have a lemon inspire

And.... I can only imagine the nightmare of having a Matrice repaired with all the parts and options available.

Last edited:
I'm going to disagree on the inspire purchase place. Go with Amazon, fulfilled by Amazon. P3 might be ok from loca hobby shop, but you'll need 30 days from Amazon to make sure you don't have a lemon inspire

And.... I can only imagine the nightmare of having a Matrice repaired with all the parts and options available.
Ya man...
if the smaller dealers can't or won't stand behind the purchase then we should go with true drone enthusiasts like Amazon.com. .
I'm all about the little guy but if they're not going to be able to give me the same customer service as Amazon.com why would I buy from them??
Turbo. .

Reactions: sirnikolas
I have had very good support from quadrocopter.com -- they sell both the P3 and the I1 (and I have both). I've been dealing with them since 2012 and they've always treated me fairly. I realize they're probably between a rock and hard place (or DJI) when it comes to getting DJI to do anything, but it's nice to be able to call or email someone when I have a problem.

The i1 is less "skittish" in higher wind that the lighter P3 -- it's not very good in turbulence where the wind is coming from every which way. The big difference for me is that the I1 can be flown with a pilot and camera operator. That said, it's spooky sometimes to have FPV, and then have the camera pointed off in some arbitrary direction by the camera op.

Andy.

If you're going to buy a sexy I1, be sure to buy it from your local hobby shop where you'll get face to face customer service. And make sure to ask all the if questions and then based on the if answers, make your decision then. I've had a Phantom, but mate, you cannot compare it to the I1. Once you fly her, only then you'll truly understand why we love her so much.

Any body have a recommendation of where to buy an I1 in the UK? I'm in East Sussex, but anywhere in UK would be fine. I would prefer if dealer was a certified DJI repair shop as well . . .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry