Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Downgrading from X5 to X3

Reaction score
Hi guys, has anyone ever tried to connect back the Zenmuse X3 camera after upgrading before to X5? I used X5 for two year but want to sell the drone now with X3 camera and it connected and worked good once but now it doesnt connect to the camera. It doesnt react even to do gimbal check after turning on the bird. I thought it might be an issue with the firmware but I cant now update any firmware as the camera is not connecting at all and SD card is like this not visible either. Can you do firmware update by the GO app? Any other ideas? Thanks for all the help.

Hi guys, has anyone ever tried to connect back the Zenmuse X3 camera after upgrading before to X5? I used X5 for two year but want to sell the drone now with X3 camera and it connected and worked good once but now it doesnt connect to the camera. It doesnt react even to do gimbal check after turning on the bird. I thought it might be an issue with the firmware but I cant now update any firmware as the camera is not connecting at all and SD card is like this not visible either. Can you do firmware update by the GO app? Any other ideas? Thanks for all the help.
Did you have to change your firmware to use the x5 camera

I cant really remember. I connected X5 back and its working. Now its the question should I try to downgrade with the firmware for X3 using X5? Or its too risky?

I cant really remember. I connected X5 back and its working. Now its the question should I try to downgrade with the firmware for X3 using X5? Or its too risky?
Not to sure did you try googling it I'm sure someone has had the same prob

Not to sure did you try googling it I'm sure someone has had the same prob
You just need to have the firmware for the x3 to match the firmware that's on the inspire.
You cant use the fw that you use for x5, x3 is a different name but will match what you are using.

Have you checked and cleaned the contacts?

Does the X3 run through POST? Does the Go App show the X3's FW version? More information please. That said, this sounds like a hardware issue to me.

D

To use the X5, your firmware had to be updated to the Inspire1 Pro firmware. You will have to go backwards and reinstall the regular Inspire 1 firmware to get the X3 to work. I would put it on a SD, put SD in X3 then install that way. It should make the X3 and aircraft match at that point.

To use the X5, your firmware had to be updated to the Inspire1 Pro firmware. You will have to go backwards and reinstall the regular Inspire 1 firmware to get the X3 to work. I would put it on a SD, put SD in X3 then install that way. It should make the X3 and aircraft match at that point.

It's been my experience that the X3 firmware must match the AC's firmware. But the same is not true of the X5. I have run 2 different X5's - both with different FW versions - on both my Inspire 1, V2 and Inspire 1 Pro without issues. YMMV.

D

At the moment the X3 is not connecting at all, so when I turn on the drone the gimbal is not doing even the check and its not moving at all, the screen is black and connected only to the drone. No SD card firmware update possible then...

At the moment the X3 is not connecting at all, so when I turn on the drone the gimbal is not doing even the check and its not moving at all, the screen is black and connected only to the drone. No SD card firmware update possible then...

So this is clearly a hardware issue. Even with completely wrong firmware the camera will run through POST.

Physically checking the contacts with the naked eye is usually not good enough. I would take high-resolution, macro photos of both sets of contacts and then examine them on a computer screen (not a phone screen). You'd be amazed what those photos will reveal.

1596820192813.png

D

I guess drone contacts are good if the X5 camera is working, I had a look at X3 contacts and I think is not much more then normal use. What do you think?A97A9791.jpgA97A9792.jpg

I guess drone contacts are good if the X5 camera is working, I had a look at X3 contacts and I think is not much more then normal use. What do you think?View attachment 29388View attachment 29387

They look good. If you shoot them straight on you'll eliminate the depth of field. But based on these photos, the contacts look good. I would look next at the ribbon cables. I have no experience in this regard, so you will have to look to Google and YouTube for help.

D

I have a old DJI Osmo gimbal set that the X3 will mount on it and operate also. Try mounting it on one if you or a friend has an old Osmo ??

Do note you cannot mount an Osmo cam on the drone though. ?

Last edited:
They look good. If you shoot them straight on you'll eliminate the depth of field. But based on these photos, the contacts look good. I would look next at the ribbon cables. I have no experience in this regard, so you will have to look to Google and YouTube for help.

D
I guess ribbon cables are good as the same cables work with X5. That would look like a hardware camera misfunction. I still can try the osmo, good idea. I know someone with the old one...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jj2018