Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Drifting problems with Inspire 1

Reaction score
I'm flying my Inspire for quite some months and I'm really happy with it. However int the last days I'm getting some problems:

After Compass Calibration I usually take off to about 1,8 m height and wait until the landing gear moved up.

When I then want to fly to the front the Inspire drifts to the side (at an angel of about 315 degrees).

Letting the left stick go back to the middle position the Inspire still drifts a bit to the side. (I can move it back by pushing the left control to the right) but I can not do a controlled flight like that.

Now that does not happen always, but I had it in 2 locations several times (one of them far off the next houses / urbanisation) but at the same location I could fly normal before.

I fly with GPS mode with the latest firmware release.

Does anyone have an idea what could cause that problem and a potential solution to the problem?

I'm flying my Inspire for quite some months and I'm really happy with it. However int the last days I'm getting some problems:

After Compass Calibration I usually take off to about 1,8 m height and wait until the landing gear moved up.

When I then want to fly to the front the Inspire drifts to the side (at an angel of about 315 degrees).

Letting the left stick go back to the middle position the Inspire still drifts a bit to the side. (I can move it back by pushing the left control to the right) but I can not do a controlled flight like that.

Now that does not happen always, but I had it in 2 locations several times (one of them far off the next houses / urbanisation) but at the same location I could fly normal before.

I fly with GPS mode with the latest firmware release.

Does anyone have an idea what could cause that problem and a potential solution to the problem?
Are you calibrating your compass before every flight? You will lots of advice here on the forum as to why this may not be the best idea. I would go to an area where there is no magnetic interference (concrete pavements or power cables) and do a new compass calibration for flying. You may also try a IMU calibration in a level area where it won't be disturbed by footfall, traffic or wind.

Reactions: The Editor
I don't recallibrate the compass each time, only when I travel further or have an unusual flight behavior.

There are no larger sources of distortion visible to me in the locations I had this Issue.

I also had the Remote and the IMU calibrated but it did not make a difference.

I don't recallibrate the compass each time, only when I travel further or have an unusual flight behavior.

There are no larger sources of distortion visible to me in the locations I had this Issue.

I also had the Remote and the IMU calibrated but it did not make a difference.
You have covered all the possible sources for the drifting you are seeing. Is the drift independent of any wind? Have you tried flying in ATTI? It will drift with the wind but you can see whether there are any issues with your RC. I would try a completely new open location and go through the RC, IMU and compass calibration again. If the problem persists, I would speak with DJI as you may have a sensor fault developing. Their response is likely to send it for repair. As I suspect you are based in Europe, the repair times are not as bad as in the USA. I got mine back in 2 weeks - most of that was transit time.

EDIT: Make sure your I1 is cold before you calibrate the IMU. Switch on a start the IMU calibration straight away.

Calibrate your sticks with the AC turned off, move them slowly in each direction to there maximum travel and back to center.

Had similar situation and to get around it I
Did a stick calibration and a full imu calibration with ac sitting perfectly flat.
Use levelling device not just a bench top that you thick is level.

Reactions: turbodronepilot
I'm getting the same problem and on the DJI forums there are a few people going back to the previous firmware because of this issue.

I was on. 06 when I had the problem.
Exactly level is the key to fixing this problem. If it's not you will cook in an error.
Hope this works for you.

Reactions: Tommy Bayshore
Had the same situation
Called dji They say do downgrade to 1.8 and the upgrade again to 1.9
And calibrate IMU
Worked for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member