Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Drone Catcher

I like it. A big fish eating a small fish. Sending a $5000 drone to get $800 drone. Let the arms race begin. The next thing is a bigger drone to catch the $5000 drone. At some point the $800 drone will be used as bait for biggest drone. Drone rustling will be a hanging offense .

Reactions: JasonUK
Now they just have to have these drone-catchers everywhere within 500 metres of their sensitive locations and with operators standing by ready to launch at a moment's notice.
Sounds like the perfect non-workable system for a problem that doesn't exist yet.
"The FAA [Federal Aviation Administration] has just announced that drones must be registered, and we think the catcher could help enforce the law by catching unregistered drones," he said.
Good luck with that professor.
Now how are you going to know which drone isn't registered and what's the chance you'll be in position ready for the unregistered drone when it flies?
Just a few minor details still to be worked out.

Reactions: JoeyJoe
Flite Test released a video yesterday of a similar system. It was mounted to a DJI F550 and then a FT Kraken, which is a large flying wing, with varying amounts of success. The link follows:

Last edited:
I don't see these as being at all feasible at the moment but i'm happy to entertain the idea.
I watched Flite Test's video and found it pretty ammusing but looking at the link that EMCSQUAR orginally posted, the fact that (depending on its altitude) doesn't let the drone fall to the ground. This could be a real benefit for operating it in congested areas.

Logistically near impossibility. They are using a S1000 as the capture UAV and I have one of those. I can tell you going from transport to ready to fly takes a LONG time. Only way it would work is if you had someone posted with one ready to fly at the POI 24/7. On the other hand, it would be easy to give the intercepting UAV targeting acquisition and autonomous control so that once locked on, the intercepter could fly itself and fire the net at the optimal moment.

I have already wired up an Arduino board with an optical sensor to have a second Inspire 1 follow the one I am flying and keep it centered in the camera. Why is that guy flying by eye?

Oh, and my perfectly good and airworthy autocopter just got netted and fell on someone and killed them.......

I don't know. Maybe this IS a bad idea.

Reactions: MainlyPro

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips