Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Drone program advice

Reaction score
I would like to speak with a few fire departments who have a drone program that has been in operation for at least 2-3 years. We are looking at starting a program and would like to eliminate pitfalls.

We are located in the upper desert of southern California (but don't hold that against us).

Please email me at [email protected] with your name and phone number. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Bob

Reactions: Jim Weist
A thought.
Buy a used phantom 4 pro and get some fly time with a few of your team members to see how the system works. No huge investment and may provide some hands on insight.

I would like to speak with a few fire departments who have a drone program that has been in operation for at least 2-3 years. We are looking at starting a program and would like to eliminate pitfalls.

We are located in the upper desert of southern California (but don't hold that against us).

Please email me at [email protected] with your name and phone number. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Bob

I'll just quickly leave you with this advice. The Drone Steward absolutely, positively must be a drone enthusiast with a real passion for the sport. Despite the hype, drones are NOT "plug-n-play." There are many pitfalls and hurdles to overcome that can only be conquered by a serious enthusiast who is diligent about research and willing to devote hours to R&D. Many times I have seen this job given to "some guy" or a "volunteer," which has been a mitigated disaster every time. Even the batteries require some modicum of maintenance. I was just handed 3 completely dead Mavic batteries after the "drone department" stuck them in a closet for 18 months. This behavior is typical.

Good luck.

D

A thought.
Buy a used phantom 4 pro and get some fly time with a few of your team members to see how the system works. No huge investment and may provide some hands on insight.

Great advice. Having been a Coordinator for the Sheriff's Office Search and Rescue Unit, I understand the need to determine the commitment level and identify your members that are there for the right reasons and ready to work.

I already have several drones: Mavic Pro, Autel EVO II and Inspire 2. I think the Mavic Pro will be a good aircraft for training, and "testing the waters."

I'll just quickly leave you with this advice. The Drone Steward absolutely, positively must be a drone enthusiast with a real passion for the sport. Despite the hype, drones are NOT "plug-n-play." There are many pitfalls and hurdles to overcome that can only be conquered by a serious enthusiast who is diligent about research and willing to devote hours to R&D. Many times I have seen this job given to "some guy" or a "volunteer," which has been a mitigated disaster every time. Even the batteries require some modicum of maintenance. I was just handed 3 completely dead Mavic batteries after the "drone department" stuck them in a closet for 18 months. This behavior is typical.

Good luck.

D

I know the need for a leader who has the passion. I have 28 years as a Detective/Watch Commander with San Bernardino County Sheriff's, 8 years as a volunteer fire department Chief, Search & Rescue Coordinator, Lt.Col with Air Force Aux-Civil Air Patrol and private pilot with our Aviation Unit with the Sheriff's Office.

I am starting out very small with a local community volunteer fire department and see if I can build some good volunteers, who have the passion to build a program. I will respond to very basic calls to get the department to "think drone." I have made it known that I do not want to do anything except the drone program.

I already have several drones: Mavic Pro, Autel EVO II and Inspire 2. I think the Mavic Pro will be a good aircraft for training, and "testing the waters."

Anymore advice is VERY welcome. Please don't hesitate to give me your ideas.

Thank you,
Bob

Reactions: Donnie Frank
The MP would certainly get the process started. A good source for municipal buying may be the Advexure guys in Los Angles.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topproorityhealthcare