Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Drone Rules to Land Soon: FAA

Reaction score
From NBC News:

It's a bird! It's a plane! It's ... more drones, potentially. The Federal Aviation Administration will announce two new unmanned-aircraft initiatives on Wednesday at the nation's largest drone convention.

FAA Administrator Michael Huerta will make the announcement -- about which the FAA has not released details -- during two events at 11 a.m. and 12:15 p.m. ET at the Unmanned Systems 2015 Conference in Atlanta. "The FAA is moving ahead with safe integration of UAS into the busiest, most complex airspace in the world," the FAA said in a press briefing ahead of the event.

The use of unmanned aircraft by hobbyists, companies, film directors, the military and other groups has been the subject of debate, while the FAA works to set new rules -- and clarify those already on the books. National parks have banned the use of drones, while companies including Google, Facebook and Amazon have expressed interest in the commercial possibilities.

Just this week the FAA approved a commercial-use waiver for a crop-dusting drone, and massive drone maker DJI announced it raised $75 million in funding that puts the value of the company at $10 billion.

Thanks InspiredOne.

I hope it becomes true ASAP.

Looking forward to taking my class and get my Part 107 FAA Certificate. I was getting worried that I would have to get a 333 Exemption.

dancespide_s8b178qo.gif

Reactions: sirnikolas
Spent the last two days with the FAA UAS folks who approved our Operational UAS COA. They say look for rules to come out in about 18 months with implementation in about 3 years. Don't shoot the messenger. But this is from the people who know.

That is what they recommended for me with my privately owned Inspire for commercial use. They say there are currently over 700 people in the que for a 333 exemption. But they think it will start moving fast soon.

3 years wtf? Anyone figure a way around the requirement for a pilots license to get your 333? I emailed faa and they told me their hands are tied on that point. So that's 4-5 thousand bucks to learn to fly something we are not even going to fly. Who comes up with this ****?

Neck deep in the 333 Exemption process right now operating under a third parties COA.
Absolutely no way around getting the pilots license and the UAV cert. We are using RotorFX in Burbank, CA, super great guys.
We will start by fielding 4 pilots. Very likely this will be the only way moving forward for the next couple of years, unless there is some unprecedented event.
The FAA and most things to do with traditional aviation legislation are extremely methodical and slow moving. The guys we are working with sat on the board with the FAA to help draft the policies and they thought it was going to happen in 2003! They are convinced it will be a least two years before reasonable process is in place. Maybe we will get lucky.

Neck deep in the 333 Exemption process right now operating under a third parties COA.
Absolutely no way around getting the pilots license and the UAV cert. We are using RotorFX in Burbank, CA, super great guys.
We will start by fielding 4 pilots. Very likely this will be the only way moving forward for the next couple of years, unless there is some unprecedented event.
The FAA and most things to do with traditional aviation legislation are extremely methodical and slow moving. The guys we are working with sat on the board with the FAA to help draft the policies and they thought it was going to happen in 2003! They are convinced it will be a least two years before reasonable process is in place. Maybe we will get lucky.

I've been communicating with RotorFX also.

You don't need a pilots license, only pass the pilots knowledge test.

Prove it! :)

So you guys that are "flying under the radar"... Have you been able to acquire a proper insurance policy? Your getting clients even though your not official?
I have dreams of making some money flying these awesome machines but I do not want to be completely unprotected from potential liability. Feel free to pm me if you would prefer!

Last edited:
Check the ama Web site out! And joint a model flying club! Any body think about that? Ama members I forget how much coverage you have as a member to a club and the ama but I think it's a substantial amount of coverage!

Reactions: akguy297
Prove it! :)

So you guys that are "flying under the radar"... Have you been able to acquire a proper insurance policy? Your getting clients even though your not official?
I have dreams of making some money flying these awesome machines but I do not want to be completely unprotected from potential liability. Feel free to pm me if you would prefer!
Who said I was flying under the radar? I fly legally as of yesterday under a COA for Class G airspace. I am not a pilot, I have passed the pilots knowledge exam, have a class 2 medical certificate, have attended manufacturers training. And endured the two year COA process. I never said I was commercial. I am employed by a public agency.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry