Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Drone sighted by 2 airliners at 6,700 feet

This sort of buffoonery seems to never occur in United States of America
It's a different type of dullard residing in Canada and the U.k.
Flying near airports just takes the biscuit

I'm calling BS at this point -- not that I know one way or the other, but 6700 feet sounds pretty fishy to me. Assuming about 1400 feet elevation for the ground below that would suggest the drone was a mile above the ground -- how much of a battery would one need to reach that height assuming they did nothing but climb straight up?

Brian

pobably another HUGE plastic bag with them handles which are reaaaaaly dangerous... LOL
onboar camera for manned aircrafts... one pilot had bad eyes already... remember? - i do ...-
no media about that... hmm... keeping mankind stupid is the goal here.
i believe when i see evidence and not some pilot buzing around mach 1 in the skys claiming to see a "DRONE" zipping away next to it or above it...
when driving 250 km/h and you blink on e which is a frakrion of a second you drive blind for some hundred meters... now imagine mach 1 or even only 7-800kh/h...

eagle eys then... or a huge big a** drone which probably was his co worker /colleuge from ground buzing around with a military fixed wing... LOL

Reactions: John Archer
Sorry to the pilot but unless it was Iron Man or some Xmen super sight person piloting I think they saw something else. A guess would be to fire the drone regulations from those who want us to stop flying or they simply saw a helicopter at a low altitude that where so to say "under the radar". :)

Reactions: slim.slamma
As likely as this story is just another wrongly identified drone it all ads up and in the minds of the public these are all stories about dangerous drone operators. I'm more and more convinced that many in the general and commercial aviation world are intentionally crying 'drone' or are altogether too quick to jump to that conclusion and I think there's a reason they are doing so. They want drones banned -- period!

Of all the civil and commercial pilots that want drones banned helicopter pilots are, in my view, at the top of the list wanting drones banned and for a couple reasons:

1. Helicopter pilots love that they are permitted to fly lower than anyone and do not want the presence of drones to deny them of that right.

2. Helicopter pilots are the most likely to have a near miss and, over time, actually hit a drone.

3. Drones pose an economic threat to the business model of many helicopter operators.

Brian

As likely as this story is just another wrongly identified drone it all ads up and in the minds of the public these are all stories about dangerous drone operators. I'm more and more convinced that many in the general and commercial aviation world are intentionally crying 'drone' or are altogether too quick to jump to that conclusion and I think there's a reason they are doing so. They want drones banned -- period!

Of all the civil and commercial pilots that want drones banned helicopter pilots are, in my view, at the top of the list wanting drones banned and for a couple reasons:

1. Helicopter pilots love that they are permitted to fly lower than anyone and do not want the presence of drones to deny them of that right.

2. Helicopter pilots are the most likely to have a near miss and, over time, actually hit a drone.

3. Drones pose an economic threat to the business model of many helicopter operators.

Brian
Agreed. Guess which group I get the most hate from online or otherwise? Pilots. Most of them don't actually even know the rules applying to UAVs, and simply assume all drone operators are just breaking them by nature of being drone operators.
And yes, I'm pretty convinced from the evidence supplied in the article that this was no drone sighting, or convinced we needed to scramble our F-18s to neutralize the 'threat'

I had to abort one of my UAS commercial flights not to long ago due to a mosquito control helicopter that I never saw but could hear clearly because of their very low altitude. I had filed a NOTAM as required. After I called them on a landline they told me they do file file NOTAMS for their 75 to 100 feet above the ground flights and that they were not aware that "drones" filed NOATAMS and would pay more attention to them in the future.

I had to abort one of my UAS commercial flights not to long ago due to a mosquito control helicopter that I never saw but could hear clearly because of their very low altitude. I had filed a NOTAM as required. After I called them on a landline they told me they do file file NOTAMS for their 75 to 100 feet above the ground flights and that they were not aware that "drones" filed NOATAMS and would pay more attention to them in the future.
That is appalling and lazy preparation on behalf of the helicopter pilot.
Before EVERY flight he should be checking for NOTAMS in the intended flight area.
Would he be saying the same thing if some F16 fighter jets were doing maneuvers where he intended to fly?
Perhaps he would say "Oh, I didn't think there would be any military aircraft there"!

That is appalling and lazy preparation on behalf of the helicopter pilot.
Before EVERY flight he should be checking for NOTAMS in the intended flight area.
Would he be saying the same thing if some F16 fighter jets were doing maneuvers where he intended to fly?
Perhaps he would say "Oh, I didn't think there would be any military aircraft there"!

We actually had a cordial conversation after my initial "Do You Check Notams" comment. Although I am not required to I send them an email with my Notam # a day before I fly.

Reactions: The Editor
And this is part of the problem with helicopter pilots -- they've been able to get away with this xxxx for a long time and now that there is competition at low altitude they want the competition banned so they can continue to do the xxxx they've been doing.

Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
If you ever go on pootube and look at the aviation channels like VAS aviation that plays the inflight comms you'll notice most of them on there are happening around New York with planes coming in to JFK.

Buffoons seem to be everywhere.

Reactions: southerndoug

Sounds very familiar and I'd be very annoyed if forced to abort after posting a NOTAM and doing everything right.

We've the same type of very low-level mosquito control flights where I live and I fly my Inspire in the exact same airspace. They don't file NOTAMs, but do email / text / voice msg advisories when and where they plan to fly. Adequate, but I'd like to see them file a NOTAM just like UAS comm ops are required to do.

Agree that many pilots fail to adequately check NOTAMs. They also don't know the rules for UAS, much less anything about them. I'm doing my best to change attitudes and educate folks. I fly helicopters for a living and as such, work with a bunch of other pilots. I get a lot of questions about UAS rules/regulations and have opened eyes at what is allowed, what's not as well as UAS capabilities. Most everyone is cool with it although we've had some heated discussions about FAR Part 91.119 (Min Safe Altitudes) and what is safe/prudent in today's world regarding helicopters, UAS ops, and flight below 500' AGL. (JMO, but 91.119 needs to be changed!)

FWIW, being the "drone guy" in the office is about like Cleavon Little (Bart) arriving in Rock Ridge.....

Are you kidding?

Check out the thread of the list of fines your very own FAA gave out to dullard buffoon Americans for flying near airports, etc. I'll bet you will be voting for Trump.

Are you kidding?

Check out the thread of the list of fines your very own FAA gave out to dullard buffoon Americans for flying near airports, etc. I'll bet you will be voting for Trump.
Im barred from conversing politics and orange is not the new black.

P.S
You better hope we don't unleash The DONALD on the World;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marve84