Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Drone sighted by 2 airliners at 6,700 feet

pobably another HUGE plastic bag with them handles which are reaaaaaly dangerous... LOL
onboar camera for manned aircrafts... one pilot had bad eyes already... remember? - i do ...-
no media about that... hmm... keeping mankind stupid is the goal here.
i believe when i see evidence and not some pilot buzing around mach 1 in the skys claiming to see a "DRONE" zipping away next to it or above it...
when driving 250 km/h and you blink on e which is a frakrion of a second you drive blind for some hundred meters... now imagine mach 1 or even only 7-800kh/h...

eagle eys then... or a huge big a** drone which probably was his co worker /colleuge from ground buzing around with a military fixed wing... LOL

Here the report

A WestJet flight (WJA366) and an Air Canada flight (ACA458), arriving at Ottawa (CYOW), ON, saw a large drone near their flight paths. For WJA366, it was on the left side at the same altitude (6 700 ft). ACA458 was at 8 000 ft when it noticed the drone 1 NM to its left at 2 000 ft below ACA458’s altitude.

Notice the "large drone"?
Having been an airline pilot for the last 27 years I can tell you that it is entirely possible to spot a "large drone" 2000ft below you 1 mile left. You can spot a Boeing B-737 10 to 15 miles out when the sun is right.
I have seen party balloons 1/2 mile out.
Her is another fact, below 10,000 feet you are limited to 250 kts. (about 190 mph, 300 kph.) Not mach 1. Pilots can describe very well what they see in the air.

Here the report

A WestJet flight (WJA366) and an Air Canada flight (ACA458), arriving at Ottawa (CYOW), ON, saw a large drone near their flight paths. For WJA366, it was on the left side at the same altitude (6 700 ft). ACA458 was at 8 000 ft when it noticed the drone 1 NM to its left at 2 000 ft below ACA458’s altitude.

Having been an airline pilot for the last 27 years I can tell you that it is entirely possible to spot a "large drone" 2000ft below you 1 mile left. You can spot a Boeing B-737 10 to 15 miles out when the sun is right.
Her is another fact, below 10,000 feet you are limited to 250 kts. (about 190 mph, 300 kph.) Not mach 1. Pilots can describe very well what they see in the air.
You might be able to spot 'something' but there is no way you could positively identify it as a UAV the size of an Inspire or Phantom at 2,000ft which is over 800m, or differentiate between a balloon or a paper bag with unaided eyesight travelling at 280mph.
Unless your eyeballs have evolved beyond resolving 1/60th of an arc which is the human limit of eyesight resolution!

Here the report

I am always open to learn more.
I did not know these facts you are describing because I am not a commercial "real" airplane pilot. I buzz around carefully with my I1 and stay WAY below what I can do. also with my other drones as they tend to get REALLY really tiny after 200m (in an area I can do that) so I usually do not go beyond 120 or so... up that is.

I am just a bit sceptical about what they really have seen as one pilot already missed the ball with the plastic bag so... I might be wrong but still. I have the feeling some pilots and respect to the ones that do not just claim and make a media buzz around it should have a second look before stating something that they might not be sure about...

but I am not trying to educate anyone or offend. I am just having a hard time to believe it until there is hand holdable evidence.

cheers.
and no offense meant.

Here the report

The comment about it being a "large" drone is the thing that has my attention. If it truly was a drone and a large one then we're not talking Phantom or Inspire or maybe even S1000/M600 but perhaps something even larger and perhaps government owned.

If it truly was a smaller drone like the Inspire than those pilots eyes should be studied so we can all benefit from the knowledge. We are generally told to stay within about 400m so we can see it with our eyes and in my experience I can see my i1 up to about half a mile but beyond that -- not a chance! And, at well less than half a mile if I'm watching the drone but take my eyes off it for a second I may not be able to reacquire even though I know where it is.

So, for a pilot to see a consumer drone a a mile or more against the background clutter of the ground when I can't see it against the clear sky -- yeah, I call BS!!!!!!!!

Brian

Reactions: slim.slamma
I would ask the pilots to take out their Ipad or phone and take some pictures. Tablets are common now to hold mapping data etc.

I would ask the pilots to take out their Ipad or phone and take some pictures. Tablets are common now to hold mapping data etc.

I have seen many party balloons in flight, clearly enough to know they are balloons. I have never seen one long enough to get my camera out and take a photo. We are talking just a few seconds while it passes by. But in those few seconds it is perfectly clear.

A UAS would be no different. If you are close enough to see it you can probably tell what it is. I certainly would be able to tell if it is a Phantom 3 or a Phantom 4.

I can clearly see a small aircraft at 3 miles or more. They are about 7' tall. A Phantom is 7" tall which means I can see it just as clearly at 1,500' as a small aircraft at 3 miles (simple math).

If you are so far away that you can not tell what it is then you would probably not notice it in the first place to even report it.

I have several thousand hours of flight time, most of it at lower altitudes <5,000'. In all of that time I have hit two birds and have had many more near misses. There are thousands of birds out there and I have probably made several hundred reports of birds at approach altitudes to ATC. I can assure you if you hit a bird you see the bird clearly before it hits, but do not have enough time to avoid it let alone get a picture of it! I have seen thousands of birds in flight from an aircraft, clear enough to know they are birds and generally the type of bird it is.

I have never seen a UAS from my aircraft at any altitude.

Considering the number of birds in the relationship to the number of UAS, the risk of hitting a UAS is far, far smaller, but not zero. The amount of damage a 6' wing span Osprey (3.1 to 4.4 pounds) will cause compared to a Phantom 3 (3 pounds) is unknown. Unknown because to the best of my knowledge no one has ever hit one, yet bird strikes are a daily occurrence all across the country. Still bird strikes, or bird sightings from aircraft, never make the news.

The one suspected UAS strike that I am aware of left so little damage that they could not even confirm it was an actual UAS strike (If the pilot said it was one it probably was).

So what is the big deal? Bird strikes are inevitable, UAS strikes are preventable, it is that simple.

Just trying to put some of this into perspective.

BTW, one of the birds I did hit was recovered on the runway afterwards. It was an Osprey with a 6' wing span. It left no damage to the small aircraft (just a bloody mess). The FAA does collect bird strike information for statistical purposes, and I am sure this info is available to anyone that wants to do the research.

Last edited:
Here the report

Having been an airline pilot for the last 27....Here is another fact, below 10,000 feet you are limited to 250 kts. (about 190 mph, 300 kph.) Not mach 1. Pilots can describe very well what they see in the air.

I need to call for a cross check on the speed tape.

If you are close enough to see it you can probably tell what it is. I certainly would be able to tell if it is a Phantom 3 or a Phantom 4.

Easy enough! My late grandma would even tell the difference between a I1 V1 and a V2, from that distance...whilst riding a bike :) :) :)

And now that we are dead serious:
Back in the 50's, airline pilots, as well as merchant marine officers, were asked to report any UFO they would spot. And guess what, hundreds of reports came in, yearly. (now it was common in those days for airline pilots and marine officers to wear a tin foil hat under their cap...guess not). Those guys were very serious. As soon as the media and entertainment industry turned the whole UFO phenomena into a exiting commercial comic for the people, pilots were losing their credibility (and even their jobs) after submitting a UFO sighting report. The number of sightings coincidently rapidly raced down to almost zero. The few brave flying souls that reported a UFO were ridiculed and were grounded and submitted to psychiatric tests.

Now it's drones.
Finally they can tell the world again they have SEEN something. Perfectly safe report a drone and keep the job. It's a whole different thing if you have to report a near miss with something you can't explain at all.

We had a 777 pilot at the RPA-L training and he told us they still see stuff they can't explain in the skies.

Reactions: Pescatoral Pursuit
Now it's drones.
Finally they can tell the world again they have SEEN something. Perfectly safe report a drone and keep the job. It's a whole different thing if you have to report a near miss with something you can't explain at all.

We report what we see, not because we want to report stuff and look important and all. We do it for safety. We report ground fire in remote area, hot air balloon when they cross arrival paths, meteorological balloons, top of clouds, bottom of clouds, turbulence levels, wind direction and speed, windshear in short final debris on the runway/taxiways and more...and drones. It's all in a day's work without much thoughts put into it.

I am not understanding the doubting on this thread of a crew (that's 2 pilots) reporting what they deducted to be a drone. They were there, they saw something and they designated it as a drone.

Reactions: SixtyMike
We report what we see, not because we want to report stuff and look important and all. We do it for safety. We report ground fire in remote area, hot air balloon when they cross arrival paths, meteorological balloons, top of clouds, bottom of clouds, turbulence levels, wind direction and speed, windshear in short final debris on the runway/taxiways and more...and drones. It's all in a day's work without much thoughts put into it.

I am not understanding the doubting on this thread of a crew (that's 2 pilots) reporting what they deducted to be a drone. They were there, they saw something and they designated it as a drone.

You're right, they are the only ones who saw it and only they can designate it.
We're all just speculating. But that's the fun in this kind of threads.
I wasn't too serious actually.

Except about my grandma of course.

Yeah, and a helicopter pilot impacts something in flight and claims he saw a drone -- a drone with feathers and blood.

Yeah, and a commercial pilot says he hit a drone only it turned out to be a plastic bag.

This is the era in which if you see something or hit something it's a ... drone!

Brian

I just looked at the article again. LOL. 1.8km's away and 600m's below them! A bloody fullsize helicopter is pretty small at that distance!

Ben

Having flown UAV's for 7 years, I can tell you that a 2m cuad copter is not visible at more than 1km unless you know exactly where to look.

I can also say that when flying into Heathrow last month I saw two objects out of the window that looked exactly like UAV's to me, having learnt to spot them. I would have sworn they were, but what are the odds that there are two UAV's on the approach to Heathrow right when Im looking out of the window? I think the odds are higher that my mind saw something that it wanted to recognise as a UAV. Logic states that it was a bird or something similar. It was stationary however.

Are you kidding?

Check out the thread of the list of fines your very own FAA gave out to dullard buffoon Americans for flying near airports, etc. I'll bet you will be voting for Trump.

No need to reveal your gargantuan ignorance on this thread...

Last edited:
Nice fish though.

:p

Yeah. By pure coincidence, when I caught that fish it was under criminal investigation by the FBI for mishandling and destroying classified government documents.

I thought it would make a great POTUS, but at the time it was starting to sink the boat with all the BS it was spewing, though there were a few fishermen in the area who came over and started lapping it up.

Last edited:
Yeah. By pure coincidence, when I caught that fish it was under criminal investigation by the FBI for mishandling and destroying classified government documents.

I thought it would make a great POTUS, but at the time it was starting to sink the boat with all the BS it was spewing, though there were a few fishermen in the area who came over and started lapping it up. Y'know, people like you...
Comments like this and post #35 are unnecessary - please desist from personal comments/attacks on individuals.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oharac