Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

drone won't fly in a class G airspace

Reaction score
I use both my inspire 2 and my phantom 4 pro to shoot real estate properties, I went to a location in class G airspace and none of my drones would fly , message was that I was in a no fly zone, I call the FAA drone zone from the property and had them double check my location and they verified that there where no restrictions. the FAA thinks that its a geo fining in DJI software. has anyone had this issue and what's the fix, as I am typing this thread I'm waiting for my turn in the Dji online chat , can't call them because of the pandemic. if anyone has an answer I would really appreciate it since I need to get this property shot thanks mike 'Bandit'

It can only be a DJI restriction. The DJI software and the FAA have no link whatsoever.

Go check the DJI NFZ site: DJI Self Unlock

See if there's a Blue Zone or Red Zone where you're trying to fly. If it's a Blue Zone, get the Self Unlock code and load it up. If it's a Red Zone, good luck with that. You'll have to contact DJI directly and provide the paperwork that says you can fly there.

I use both my inspire 2 and my phantom 4 pro to shoot real estate properties, I went to a location in class G airspace and none of my drones would fly , message was that I was in a no fly zone, I call the FAA drone zone from the property and had them double check my location and they verified that there where no restrictions. the FAA thinks that its a geo fining in DJI software. has anyone had this issue and what's the fix, as I am typing this thread I'm waiting for my turn in the Dji online chat , can't call them because of the pandemic. if anyone has an answer I would really appreciate it since I need to get this property shot thanks mike 'Bandit'

Sometimes a window pops up that has check boxes that are hard to see. if you don't check them it will not allow you to fly.

It can only be a DJI restriction. The DJI software and the FAA have no link whatsoever.

Go check the DJI NFZ site: DJI Self Unlock

See if there's a Blue Zone or Red Zone where you're trying to fly. If it's a Blue Zone, get the Self Unlock code and load it up. If it's a Red Zone, good luck with that. You'll have to contact DJI directly and provide the paperwork that says you can fly there.
thank you I manage to unlock the zone via Dji/ fly safe

Concur with Garvin. I have had similar problems. It is totally frustrating that DJI's Geo fencing does not match up with Airmap or the FAA. DJI needs to dump the Geo-fencing part of their equipment. Professionals do not need their nannyware. We are totally aware of the restricted areas and are not interested in ANY violations of FAA regs or airspace. They can keep their stuff in the Mavic series, but leave the professional stuff alone - UNLESS we want it as an option (ie checkbox).

I totally agree with you , I'm also a certified private pilot and do know how to read the aeronautical charts and do my home work before every flight with manned and unmanned aircraft. I have the FAA drone zone on speed dial for any questions. it is very annoying when I do the home work, no flags come up and then when on site the drone won't fly. thanks for everyones input .

Thanks Bandit. I had one site where I needed to do outdoor front shots with my I2 and indoor shots with my Mavic. Absolutely could not get the I2 (or my I1) off the ground. Had to give up. Had full approval using Airmap, but the I2 geo-fence locked me out. BUT, the Mavic flew indoor fine. So half the project got done. Very frustrating.

Reactions: Phillip DeVore
yes it is frustrating especially when you do the homework and no flags pop up till your on site, I've since book marked the Dji fly safe site and am making it part of the preflight planning, I also noticed that on the DJI fly safe Geo map that that some of the areas are miss labeled, for instance I live in NJ about 5 miles from the Oyster Creek nuclear power plant which is the oldest nuclear plant in the country , DJI fly safe has it listed as a prison. so how are we supposed to our job and properly plan a safe drone mission if DJI can't even label locations correctly?

Reactions: Phillip DeVore
yes it is frustrating especially when you do the homework and no flags pop up till your on site, I've since book marked the Dji fly safe site and am making it part of the preflight planning, I also noticed that on the DJI fly safe Geo map that that some of the areas are miss labeled, for instance I live in NJ about 5 miles from the Oyster Creek nuclear power plant which is the oldest nuclear plant in the country , DJI fly safe has it listed as a prison. so how are we supposed to our job and properly plan a safe drone mission if DJI can't even label locations correctly?
You simply report it to DJI via their online portal on the same webpage and they will investigate and relabel if necessary.
There are mistakes in all Maps/Charts/Software/Firmware/Source Code. They just need to be identified and reported or they may go unnoticed in perpetuity.

Thank you Editor. That is what I have done in the past with no results. And I know others have as well. The biggest problem is that DJI's Geo Fence does not come close to matching the FAA's LAANC maps. The geo fence is in circles, and LAANC is squares - thus rendering the sync between the two impossible. Again, DJI needs to simply let the professional users fly without the hassle of geo-fencing (AT LEAST make it an option as the 1st gen did). We know what we are doing and we are 100% respectful in our adherence to the FAA's demands.

Luckily, I haven't had that problem with my Inspire 1, but looking at it, the Inspire 2 looks to have the same restrictions as the Phantom 4 Pro. I had some very weird restrictions with my Phantom though. What I really don't like, is that notice that pops up when I'm already in the air. That's the time I'm evaluating stability before I go forward and I have to take my eyes off the drone and punch some microscopic boxes and "take responsibility" on my screen.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry