Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

"Drones" banned at major Florida event

because people don't use their common sense. Flying a quadcopter overhead where million dollar cars are racing at speed around a track and helicopters are in regular use, is dangerous. This ruling must be in response to people having been using them anyway.

it's because stupid people can now buy these and use them without any investment of time or brainpower that the rules are starting to change. Is this ruling really likely to affect any of us on here? I don't think so. Most of us here understand what is dangerous and what is not - and that event is not somewhere i'd consider for a moment that i'd want to fly my inspire.

It would be unsafe for anyone to fly one there without coordination, and as event organizers now know this is a problem and there's always going to be one stupid guy who will try and fly if nobody says anything it's just better to warn in advance to avoid the situation.

Definitely understandable. I actually race with the Sports Car Club of America and we have events almost every other weekend during the summer. I used to bring my quads to the events and locals thought it was a great tool. The SCCA national banned them the next year siting safety issues. Apparently I wasn't the only one and a lot of people are trying to get close to cars and other dumb ideas. No more quads at SCCA events either.

This is very disappointing. I just don't understand how and why this hobby is so targeted against. Rules and guidelines would make sense to me, but outright banning?

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/28569635/drones-banned-from-the-grand-prix

I suppose that my point is that it would make more sense to me to ban them from flying within 500 ft of the track or above 100 ft altitude and so forth. Specifics regulations as opposed to outright banning.

Sure, there are idiots that this ban is designed to protect everyone from- I get that. But if driving cars while intoxicated is dangerous, should we ban cars from driving where other people are, or should we punish those that drive intoxicated?

sure but currently you need to be registered and pass an (expensive) test to drive a car. and that can also be removed. no such thing exists with drones - anyone can turn up and fly one, potentially dangerously, and currently there is no real scope to punish 'dangerous driving'

Honestly, I truly believe that there should be a certification process which forces people to properly be educated in operating these things. It bothers me to no end to read and hear about so many people misusing these things which gives a bad wrap to those who take the time to train themselves.

As much fun as it is to be creative with these quadcopters, they are a potentially lethal machines, and if not properly trained, the results can be catastrophic and life changing.

By obtaining a license, it not only gives us the proper education, but it also gives us credibility in our skills and craft.

I am a pilot by profession, and there is nothing more awesome than enjoying the "freedom" of flight. However, it took a lot of training and considerable cost to enjoy that privilege. Granted, flying a jet is very different from flying a quadcopter, but a lot of the principals of decision making are the same, and one has to truly have a good sense of situational awareness in order to operate both safely.

Unfortunately, there is a good number of general public who believe that it doesn't take much to properly operate an aircraft, manned or unmanned. But what a lot people don't take into consideration, is that there is a good amount of pre-flight planning, constant pro-active thinking while operating and even post-flight duties that have to take place each and every flight. For those who don't take the time to methodically go through their checklists are only narrowing their margin for error.

I apologize to those on this Forum - which I believe is most - who do take the time to educate themselves. For those who may need help, I would be more than happy to help out with providing checklists, educating you about airspace operations and learning how to increase your situational awareness.

Last edited:
Honestly, I truly believe that there should be a certification process which forces people to properly be educated in operating these things. It bothers me to no end to read and hear about so many people misusing these things which gives a bad wrap to those who take the time to train themselves.

As much fun as it is to be creative with these quadcopters, they are a potentially lethal machines, and if not properly trained, the results can be catastrophic and life changing.

By obtaining a license, it not only gives us the proper education, but it also gives us credibility in our skills and craft.

I am a pilot by profession, and there is nothing more awesome than enjoying the "freedom" of flight. However, it took a lot of training and considerable cost to enjoy that privilege. Granted, flying a jet is very different from flying a quadcopter, but a lot of the principals of decision making are the same, and one has to truly have a good sense of situation awareness in order to operate both safely.

Unfortunately, there is a good number of general public who believe that it doesn't take much to properly operate an aircraft, manned or unmanned. But what a lot people don't take into consideration, is that there is a good amount of pre-flight planning, constant pro-active thinking while operating and even post-flight duties that have to take place each and every flight. For those who don't take the time to methodically go through their checklists are only narrowing their margin for error.

I apologize to those on this Forum - which I believe is most - who do take the time to educate themselves. For those who may need help, I would be more than happy to help out with providing checklists, educating you about airspace operations and learning how to increase your situational awareness.
Couldn't have said it better myself! :)

Certification of one's competent and general awareness of owning and flying a UAV.. should be mandatory

I would be happy to take a test of any sort.. to enable me to fly.. as I do now

And third party insurance...should be mandatory

DJI "Be a responsible pilot" pamphlet in the box.. just is'nt good enough

I started flying a P2V about a year and a half ago. Coming from flying Heli's where we flew in designated flying fields, held AMA cards and flew in groups helping each other learn etc. The P2V loosened me from the restriction of the flying field etc. Naturally you want to fly over interesting things to photograph. Some time ago I started to see the negative side of this hobby. People flying these quads that probably shouldn't be. Not restricted to any field but flying all over the place with little regard for safety and sharing the airspace. Add to that the negative image portrayed by the media and the crazy things that have happened to flyers on these forums have caused me to not want to fly... I really don't want to be seen as "one of those" drone flyers. It's a shame really. I haven't flown in a couple of months and we've had the best flying weather ever for over a week! I would have killed for that kind of opportunity 6 months ago. I have a planned flight next weekend, weather permitting, and hope to restore my interest in this hobby. I hate to just see it sit here not being used. It was more fun when I was the only one I knew that had one.

Geo

Reactions: DennisR and Soflms
Certification of one's competent and general awareness of owning and flying a UAV.. should be mandatory

I would be happy to take a test of any sort.. to enable me to fly.. as I do now

And third party insurance...should be mandatory

DJI "Be a responsible pilot" pamphlet in the box.. just is'nt good enough
I understand the thoughts here but think about this. There has been some tremendous advnacements in this field in the last few years. The reason comes down to money, There are companies like DJI and 3DR that are developing great systems but they do it for one reason PROFIT. The ability for the average joe to be able to buy one and get into the air with minimal effort has caused these to sell VERY WELL in the last few years. That is the reason these companies are developing, to capture that market. To require a license and Insurance for the average hobbyist will deter alot of people and in turn, the market that is pushing this technology. I understand the thoughts, but remember this is a 2 edged sword. What is currently not so great for the industry is exactly the reason the industry is what it is today. Im not saying I disagree, but be aware of the consequences to actions.

Geo I think you need to just read a little less and just fly more , don't get me wrong this forum is a great tool and so is the internet but it's kinda like a double edge sword . I fly all over the place just came back from Jamaica had nothing but great responses from family , friends and strangers alike about the quad , plus hours of great video ( lots over open ocean ) just put down the computer , pick up the quad and enjoy it life's too short , and don't get caught up in the rhetoric . Its kinda like the news it's mostly all bad but theres a lot of good that goes on im a firefighter/paramedic and I see it every day but they don't put it on the news because that's not what draws viewers only shootings , crimes etc is what we see , anyway sorry for my rant just enjoy , fly safe and have fun.....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomasovinido