Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Initial thoughts on X5

A very nice review and great discussion of the positives and negatives. I fly the v2 I1 and have been very interested in the new X3&5. I think they are great machines but, the advantages over the I1 are incremental. A friend of mine who is a professional photographer and videographer says that once you hit mid range equipment, the real differences in product is because of the operator and talent. I can't help but wonder what will be DJI's next big launch? Would it be an Inspire 2 or a totally new platform?

Interesting. I've just set up my X5 to these specs and will try them out tomorrow morning...fingers crossed! Anyone tried them yet?
Ok I tried those settings... Not working ... I am trying to flyer over a road but can not keep the craft aligned. Probably I am getting a gust, so i slightly go of course and my craft tries to compensate it but gimbal is not in-sync so it gets messy. I put on the x3 do the exact same flight.. No glitch at all.
So briefly, my feeling is that the crafts yaw compensation is not synced with gimbals yaw (I do not know the exact terms to explain my situation)

Hey Gruvpix,

Just read your post.. I still feel that the yaw is not good at all. Do you thing the upgrades from november till now changed anything or am I the only one still feels like the x5 is not controllable.

thanx

I find the yaw on latest FW to be better for sure, still not at X3 levels of control but for sure improved. My main problem now is that for some reason my video sharpness settings are all completely out of whack and i can't figure out how to solve that problem.
I agree with Nick and would attribute the difficult yaw control to the level of gimbal drift that is present, not necessarily the yaw gains. Even when the craft is booted up on a level surface the gimbal is pretty much always in a constant drift, and I have noticed this when flying as well especially after coming to a stop on an arc or pan. I think once DJI addresses this problem our prayers would be answered.

Reactions: Nick Stubbs
I find the yaw on latest FW to be better for sure, still not at X3 levels of control but for sure improved. My main problem now is that for some reason my video sharpness settings are all completely out of whack and i can't figure out how to solve that problem.
Can you share an image... For some soft is better (thats me), for others shaper is better.

Can you share an image... For some soft is better (thats me), for others shaper is better.
You can refer to this thread where I have attached two images taken at the same time. One is a JPG still and one is a screen grab from 2.7k video at 0 sharpness.
Video softness blues | DJI Inspire Forum
I don't mind a soft image if it can be sharpened as needed. This image on 0 setting is too soft, adding sharpening just destroys the image at a point. Luckily we will be scaling it down to 1080p which will help so all is not lost. I would jus like some consistency instead of getting surprised by random glitches and new problems from each new FW update.

Last edited:
You can refer to this thread where I have attached two images taken at the same time. One is a JPG still and one is a screen grab from 2.7k video at 0 sharpness.
Video softness blues | DJI Inspire Forum
I see no problem... IMO it is already too sharp. but if you wish you could still apply USM.

Attached image is from your photo at 100%.. Let is original (this is perfect) right one USM applied (way to sharp)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-14 at 23.01.31.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-14 at 23.01.31.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
I see no problem... IMO it is already too sharp. but if you wish you could still apply USM.

Attached image is from your photo at 100%.. Let is original (this is perfect) right one USM applied (way to sharp)

Was the edit you did applied to the photograph or the video screen grab?
I have absolutely zero issue with the photo quality and sharpness I am getting. I simply attached it as a comparison point to demonstrate that the lens is indeed calibrated perfectly and capable of producing a sharp image.
The issue was with the video files, it's tough to show everybody but if you were on my computer and pulled up the clip you would see what I mean right away.

Was the edit you did applied to the photograph or the video screen grab?
I have absolutely zero issue with the photo quality and sharpness I am getting. I simply attached it as a comparison point to demonstrate that the lens is indeed calibrated perfectly and capable of producing a sharp image.
The issue was with the video files, it's tough to show everybody but if you were on my computer and pulled up the clip you would see what I mean right away.
Ok that was the photo... I think it is still ok... though u could still use some USM ... Do not forget this is motion picture do not expect it to be exactly like the photo. You have motion blur, smaller usage of sensor.. photo is 16mp video is ~10mp.. different algorithms, compression, processing power etc etc etc.. so many other factors.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-14 at 23.14.27.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-14 at 23.14.27.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 11
Ok that was the photo... I think it is still ok... though u could still use some USM ... Do not forget this is motion picture do not expect it to be exactly like the photo. You have motion blur, smaller usage of sensor.. photo is 16mp video is ~10mp.. different algorithms, compression, processing power etc etc etc.. so many other factors.
Understood, thanks for the little sample. I mainly would just like some consistency across FW updates so we know that the fixes are there, but there won't be some other random issue like the sharpness values changing every time. We work so hard to determine a shooting mode and settings to get video that works for us and it's back to square one with each new update.

Understood, thanks for the little sample. I mainly would just like some consistency across FW updates so we know that the fixes are there, but there won't be some other random issue like the sharpness values changing every time. We work so hard to determine a shooting mode and settings to get video that works for us and it's back to square one with each new update.
I totally agree with you.. But DJI is a company like, when they release Inspire you wait 3 months for spare props and batteries. When they release Ronin again wait 4 months for a second battery, Release X5 and market it with osmo, and guess what :) we are waiting for a stupid adapter..They really need a challenging opponent.

Reactions: gruvpix
I agree with Nick and would attribute the difficult yaw control to the level of gimbal drift that is present, not necessarily the yaw gains. Even when the craft is booted up on a level surface the gimbal is pretty much always in a constant drift, and I have noticed this when flying as well especially after coming to a stop on an arc or pan. I think once DJI addresses this problem our prayers would be answered.
Agreed...come on DJI!

Ok I tried those settings... Not working ... I am trying to flyer over a road but can not keep the craft aligned. Probably I am getting a gust, so i slightly go of course and my craft tries to compensate it but gimbal is not in-sync so it gets messy. I put on the x3 do the exact same flight.. No glitch at all.
So briefly, my feeling is that the crafts yaw compensation is not synced with gimbals yaw (I do not know the exact terms to explain my situation)
Likewise. I flew yesterday and this morning and noticed, with those settings, my Inspire was all over the place...seriously drifting after I let go of the sticks. It actually worried me to the point I thought I was having a mild flyaway...reset.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips