Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Drop System for $1

The drone can lift 3lbs easy .. I used a rigid straw so it’s load bearing is much more
MTOM for the I1 is 3.4kg.
TOW (with X3 payload and TB48) is 2934g
Lifting a payload of over 1.3kg (3lbs) would put the aircraft circa 830g overweight.
It’s your Inspire though.

MTOM for the I1 is 3.4kg.
TOW (with X3 payload and TB48) is 2934g
Lifting a payload of over 1.3kg (3lbs) would put the aircraft circa 830g overweight.
It’s your Inspire though.

If I’m lifting that heavy I detach the camera

This works with a X5 attached as well .. I don’t think the ‘Stork’ by Slyzmir works with the X5 Mount which costs a lot more

Hmmm is it not difficult to fly without the camera ShyFly?

‘Difficult’ and necessary are different things .. difficult CAN be done .. Necessary MUST be done . You never know when is necessary to take rope or life jacket to someone in need.
But rem even if you don’t have noble intent you can use a waypoint planner and have the drone repeat the route all you do is operate the landing gear at the waypoint you want the drop

‘Difficult’ and necessary are different things .. difficult CAN be done .. Necessary MUST be done . You never know when is necessary to take rope or life jacket to someone in need.
But rem even if you don’t have noble intent you can use a waypoint planner and have the drone repeat the route all you do is operate the landing gear at the waypoint you want the drop

What about a tracking device it seems it is an alternative to track your drone with your concept of Waypoint planner

What about a tracking device it seems it is an alternative to track your drone with your concept of Waypoint planner

Well it’s a latch that operates with the landing gear .. you can hook up anything you want to release . If you’re talking about attaching a alternative gps tracking device .. you can just stick that on .. unless you need to drop it on or in something (truck, boat, goat) .. the reason I did this is the current alternatives are pricey or can’t mount with the X5 camera .. this clears the camera mount AND cost almost zero

Reactions: natnatroswell22
Well it’s a latch that operates with the landing gear .. you can hook up anything you want to release . If you’re talking about attaching a alternative gps tracking device .. you can just stick that on .. unless you need to drop it on or in something (truck, boat, goat) .. the reason I did this is the current alternatives are pricey or can’t mount with the X5 camera .. this clears the camera mount AND cost almost zero

Ahhh okay i now understand the over all concept is all about

Reactions: ShyFly
I made this for my Inspire 1 out of scraps in case you need a emergency drop System .. it should work on I2 as well
DIY Drone Drop System for a Dollar
Very good! I like the fact that is aft of the vision sensors. They can cause issues when carrying a load directly below the Inspire. we have been using our Inspires to drop radios, first aid kites, and life jackets for a while now. I wish DJI gave us a separate control channel :)

Reactions: natnatroswell22
Very good! I like the fact that is aft of the vision sensors. They can cause issues when carrying a load directly below the Inspire. we have been using our Inspires to drop radios, first aid kites, and life jackets for a while now. I wish DJI gave us a separate control channel :)

Wow, haven't you encountered fly-away tendencies because of weight issues of the drone that carried?

Not yet, but we are taking as many precautions as we can. Weight limited to 12 ounces. The biggest problem that we get is the change in CG and aerodynamics. We call it the "pendulum" effect. Any change in direction has to be slow and deliberate. Also, believe it or not, the color pattern of the item being dropped can affect the sensors. We have added a drogue chute to all payloads. This adds a bit but as you can see in the video we put it aft of the aircraft. We have found that there is a sweet spot that is 12 inches below the aircraft and directly below the leg joints. That gives us the best flight time and the most stable flight. Also allows us to use the camera. The pilot has to stay on top of things. The aircraft may start to climb, or descend without warning because of the payload swinging into the sensor range. I would recommend setting a limit of 100 - 150 ft in alt. and no farther than 200 - 400 ft from pilot. We always fly in P mode as well. Interestingly, we have found that a life jacket (Inflatable, package is 6"X5"X2" thick) can not be caught when dropped without a drogue chute. It is falling too fast at anything above 50 ft. This makes it pretty useless to anyone in a life safety event in the water. We have found that the solution is a large spool of 550 Paracord with the end attached to the life vest. It is then spooled out as the aircraft flies to the victim. The vest is then dropped upstream and beyond the victim. This way the paracord can be caught by the victim and the vest pulled in. Also gives the victim a way to pull life safety rope to them. This process is not for the faint of heart. Not so bad with a 600 or 900, but nerve wracking with an Inspire...
Here is a link to a couple of videos.

Attachments

• Inspire_drop_1.jpg
    Inspire_drop_1.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 8
  • inspire_drop_2.jpg
    inspire_drop_2.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 7

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads