Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Dutch Golden Age ship (1743) 'Utrecht' caught on I1 camera during practice run.

Reaction score
I had this practice flight 2 weeks ago (just making flight minutes), taking it up from my balcony. After the first in flight checks I turned the nose towards the lake and spotted a beautiful ancient sailing ship, antique and restored (actually a completely rebuilt). It turned out the be the Yacht of State 'Utrecht', originally built in the 1743, during the Dutch Golden Age.

Anyhow, unprepared and surprised as I was, I decided to head to that ship to check it out. It turned out to be a bit further than I thought. Around 700m before I got a good image of it. Although I could see the I1 the entire flight, after 200m it was no more than a dark spot, there was no way I could determine the nose position. I didn't have my morning star light yet, but this was definitely the reason I installed it afterwards.

I kept the gimbal looking straight ahead. So I had to keep the ship in the frame by yawing and pitching. The ship moved fast, there was quite a lot of wind (7m/sec), and it was difficult to encircle her while keeping the nose pointed at the ship. Had I used horizontal gimbal control, I would never have been able to check my relative position to the mast or other ships (that I might not have spotted at first). And I would have lost orientation at some point, probably.

Just saying, when flying alone, you can't afford any mistake. I felt quite alone, hanging over that ship and the water, more than 600m from shore. I was a bit shaky I admit. With my Phantoms I fly over water all the time, but with the I1 this was only my 6th flight......

I had the camera on manual, auto WB, color normal.
The unprocessed and RAW footage (after Youtube compression) is here:
No editing yet at all, just cut off start and end, dull stuff.

Sure, (some of) the footage is nice, be it I didn't have a storyboard, and had to make the best of what I saw at that moment. Framing could always be better of course. The horizon was tilted (of course, thank you DJI for not addressing this).

You did a nice job, lovely old ship. See if you can adjust the gimbal settings to the horizon level, might be worth a try if you haven't already.

You did a nice job, lovely old ship. See if you can adjust the gimbal settings to the horizon level, might be worth a try if you haven't already.
Yeah, tried everything, IMU calibrations pre flight and gimbal calibration in flight. In this case there was an awful lot of wind so I can understand the gimbal had some trouble.

Thought it was gone with the latest fw but it came back after 2 flights, always tilting on the left.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unitedconveyormktg