Epic 2 Mile Fly Away!

Why were you not in beginner mode???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very good point...

Playing devils advocate here, if one didn't read the forums, how would you know what good 'Mod' values were/are and that you should check them before every flight?

I do check them now, but perhaps for my first few flights i didn't as quite simply there was nothing to say i should. I've been flying model aircraft for years, i own a Trex 600 Nitro, 450 Electric and many planes, so didn't jump straight in to a £2400 craft. However some do, and i think this is one of the problems also...

Just my thoughts

Reactions: Eduardo and LockMD
Very good point...

Playing devils advocate here, if one didn't read the forums, how would you know what good 'Mod' values were/are and that you should check them before every flight?

Just my thoughts

Excellent point. If you spend this much money you need to use all the tools available to learn the right way to operate this aircraft. Unfortunately there is no mandatory process to insure that the pilot knows the safe way to use the machine and yes this forum is the best place to learn. Too bad it's not a must read before flying !

Reactions: Loaderbull

Wouldn't it be safer to manually input or download the area's declination? GPS would tell where you are, and a small database containing the values could be on the app.

That way there would be no interference of nearby objects when calibrating (geographic north pole could be provided by GPS too).

http://maps.ngdc.noaa.gov/viewers/historical_declination/

Historically, people who had RC Flying as a hobby were always much more involved on the technical aspect, many building the models just from blueprits.

We are entering an era where manufacturers are aiming at mass consumer market, and many people without all that technical background are buying these quads.

Problem is, the quads like Inspire are fantastic technology, but in my opinion are not there yet (just plug n play), when a compass calibration problem causes such fly away, probably some safeguard should come to action (auto change to ATTI if IMU data and stick positons are opposite?).

Sorry for your scary problem, I think you are right, but the editor is right too. Probably the product marketing made you believe it was more 'bullet proof'.

Reactions: LockMD
Harry represents the majority of DJI's customers perfectly. The bird said good to go, so he went.

I think DJI has some culpability here for that fact alone and must address that issue immediately, because yes indeed this thing can become a deadly and destructive missile when placed in the hands of the uninitiated. A good first step would be to publish a message (similar but condensed to what TE posted about the pre-flight check earlier in this thread), as soon as the camera function is initiated.

Or would that hurt sales?

Just my $.02

Last edited:
come on guys, i respect everthing s
I'm not a experienced pilot however, I need help from the seniors in here, would be greatly appreciated I work as an engineer for Apple and I'm great with computers however, flight I'm not so good
Can a senior pilot please advise me so this never happens again , I have been in touch with DJI Who are very eager to see the flight logs again no disrespect to senior pilots but this has nothing to do with me, or my flight check list

You seem to have a cool job, and I think that many of current problems are related to software bugs or even flight control logic.

I'm not that experienced with rc models, but have an aviation background, where when things get weird, you disingage autopilot and fly manually.

It seems to me they are trying to make things too complex too early (too much software and GPS dependency, for example).

As an engineer you are sure aware that's very hard to anticipate all possible combinations of problems to insert safeguards in the code.

They sure want the logs to try and fill another bug hole.

Reactions: Harry Nicholson
Hello Harry, Sorry to hear about your experience. I hope the flight logs shed some light on the situation. One thing that is not mentioned is that even if it was some of these sensors that DJI did not tell you to check, it is likely you will be covered under warranty. These are things that we check to make sure we do not have an issue and for safety purposes but if and when there is a critical failure, it is often because the machine had an issue and it may be covered. People are just trying to explain to you that it IS on you to check for safety's sake.
Also, you sound like a nice guy, but to continuously say you are not experienced but then follow up with "This is not my fault" is borderline oxymoronic. I am not blaming you in this case, but to say it is definitely not your fault is impossible to determine with the information any of us has. I would phrase it "I am 99.9% sure this could not be my fault."

I would say you should probably open a case with DJI anyway

They will likely ask you to submit the flight logs from the back of the aircraft using the USB port located there.

Worst-case scenario is they tell you what you have already been told here. Best case scenario is they discover a bug and we are all saved from the same fate.

If the app says GPS OK To Fly and the overall status has no warnings, and assuming you didn't calibrate where you shouldn't then these things shouldn't be happening. If the sensors are that far out of calibration that a flyaway is the possible result then DJI should be upgrading the App to indicate that. They have over marketed the ease of use on these things.... New flyers believe the Marketing hype and should't be held responsible for unexplained fly-aways.... I've seen too many of them and some by experienced Pilots, after the latest firmware updates... I wouldn't just dismiss these reports out of hand to bad Calibrations or Sensors out of whack.

Beautifully said!
You forgot one thing tho!
Don't drink and fly!

This needs to be stickied somewhere for all NEW operators.

And Harry, you should understand that DJI has done all the work for you, they've made the Inspire super easy to fly so guys like you don't have to take much time in the technical aspect of things. If you can't take the 15 seconds to insure that a few numbers are in order than I'm sorry you should probably consider another hobby.

And remember don't fly what you're not willing to lose

Reactions: sirnikolas