Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Epic 2 Mile Fly Away!

Harry, I'll try one more time........Help me (us) help you.....

1) turn on rc/tx
2) turn on copter (blades off for extra safety)
3) Connect mobile device to rc/tx turn on and run dji pilot app
4) In app goto advanced settings, then sensors

Let us know what the 3 MOD values are (on the right side)

Knowing these values will say a lot.

I've pulled the landing from Micro SD!
This needs to be stickied somewhere for all NEW operators.

And Harry, you should understand that DJI has done all the work for you, they've made the Inspire super easy to fly so guys like you don't have to take much time in the technical aspect of things. If you can't take the 15 seconds to insure that a few numbers are in order than I'm sorry you should probably consider another hobby.

so i fix a macbook pro retina is that the fault of the user if the GPU fails, even though they are an expert on FCPX?

We know that the toilet bowl effect might be gps, but i have one other factor that hasn't been mentioned... What about the RC, Seems like the gps took, because it landed back at its location and it seems like it went to RTH and it could have still been getting intermittent signal until it had no signal for a period of time this could have been at maximum length of signal loss with AC.. Think about lightbridge command or other malfunction of RC unit, and yes everything about the flight characteristics could have been performed through RC unit, most are assuming that it was AC however there could be another side of the story with RC command. Just another thought...

We know that the toilet bowl effect might be gps, but i have one other factor that hasn't been mentioned... What about the RC, Seems like the gps took, because it landed back at its location and it seems like it went to RTH and it could have still been getting intermittent signal until it had no signal for a period of time this could have been at maximum length of signal loss with AC.. Think about lightbridge command or other malfunction of RC unit, and yes everything about the flight characteristics could have been performed through RC unit, most are assuming that it was AC however there could be another side of the story with RC command. Just another thought...

Interesting hypothesis, but I think the bird lost GPS lock and wandered around until it got it back....wouldn't be the first time....

Interesting hypothesis, but I think the bird lost GPS lock and wandered around until it got it back....wouldn't be the first time....

Thanks Ghost quad,

Quite possibly, however the rp did not say that he had gps signal loss and even if he did, why would it have such a erratic behavior in its flight patter when it flew off after toilet bowl effect? If you cover the gps with foil, even if the ultra-sonic sensors and photo optic cell did not initiate or failed, seems there would still be no reason for it to fly off to a particular direction without command from something. I would most certainly agree that it would be gps signal or gps malfunction if it was just toilet bowl effect and i do know gps causes erratic behavior. But once the toilet bowl effect seemed to be gone it flew off and returned. Like i said, I guess the biggest thing for me is when it RTH this just seems to be at maximum distance of the RC... this is just another thought.

Last edited:
We can speculate, articulate, postulate and pontificate until the cows come home and we'll be no closer to knowing what happened here in this case.

Open a case with DJI, submit the flight logs from the back of the aircraft using the USB port located there.

Worst-case scenario is they tell you what you have already been told here. Best case scenario is they discover a bug and we are all saved from the same fate.

We can speculate, articulate, postulate and pontificate until the cows come home and we'll be no closer to knowing what happened here in this case.

Open a case with DJI, submit the flight logs from the back of the aircraft using the USB port located there.

Worst-case scenario is they tell you what you have already been told here. Best case scenario is they discover a bug and we are all saved from the same fate.

okay, whatever that post was for, but your not thinking the entire thing through, there could also be one more scenario you just might consider. Maybe its a hardware malfunction and that could cost dji millions that you just might never know and just be told that its a firmware problem. Just sayin'....

The Flight Simulator is useful for many reasons.
It improves your pilot skills in Atti mode and wind speed
Absolutely right!
Although many think it's just a gadget in the app, it is actually pretty accurate in displaying the behaviour, to be expected with certain wind speed and directions. You can use the sim to quickly determine what the strategie should be when a situation like this would happen. You need to input the current wind speed and direction and use the map, to see what happens in Atti mode and how it would drift and what obstacles might get in the way at a given height.

Specially in strange new places, a stronger than expected wind, high obstacles in the area, the sim could give a lot of insight in just about 10 minutes prior to taking off.

The sim is definitely worth while to check out in these instances, not only at home.

The Simulator isn't available on Android unfortunately.

Keep us posted with what DJI say please harry?

I've had mine for two weeks now and it's not even left the ground. Been learning things from forums, YouTube, the manual and most important the flight sim in the app. Trying all the modes in different wind conditions etc. when I feel confident enough to eventually take off (put the props on), I will but only in beginner mode and start to work up from there. I've had advice about getting out and up but I think I'm wise to take things at my own pace. This thing ain't going know ware till I feel confident.

Reactions: damoncooper
The Simulator isn't available on Android unfortunately.

Keep us posted with what DJI say please harry?
Sorry, didn't realise you were on android.
that's why i bought me an iPad mini. I'm not waiting for an android app. For me bird is expensive and serious enough to deserve the right tools and unfortunately, the ipads were better supported as far the app goes. Tried several Samsung pads and phones but the iPad is better IMHO.
Also, the image is smoother than on android.
I don't like apple as a company much but gotta love this ipad mini.

After reading all the pages on this topic I would like to share a few thoughts and opinions. After all, that is one of the benefits of a forum. I agree with most of the suggestions stated so far. Especially the idea of using a checklist, and refraining from doing an IMU calibration until its warranted by a firmware upgrade or a hardware change. That said, I do not agree with the idea of refraining from doing a compass calibration. To me, that's as important as making sure your props are on correctly. I don't understand "The Editors" point about doing it somewhere else and not doing it at the flying field. I am not sure what his source is on defining a new location as "thousands of miles". My reading from DJI in the days I flew the Phantom and now the Inspire is that it is closer to 20 miles rather than thousands. Besides, it has to get done at some point, why not just before you fly. And if its done at some "safe location" lets say, free from underground pipes and wires, what's to prevent the settings to be altered while driving to the flying site. Car speakers, or other outside interference could cause the calibration to be altered. To me, doing a calibration at the field, then checking the sensors is cheap insurance. I hope I am not pissing TE off here because that is not my intention. He has come to my rescue before with advice and I am sure the same holds true with others. But like I said, this is my opinion based on my experiences.

So, to continue my story: Just last week, 3 of us got together to fly at a "not so local beach". We all flew in our respective fields about 50 miles from the beach site without issues a day earlier. As I calibrated my compass, one of the pilots asked why I was calibrating the compass. I said we need to because we are in a different location. I took off after calibrating. No issues. Another pilot did the same, and took off without issues. The third did not calibrate the compass, took off, lost control immediately and ended up in the Atlantic ocean. $3 grand down the drain. He swears now that he will re-calibrate the compass before each flight.

The video referenced in this post does not show the bird having issues until well into the flight. If there were issues with the calibration before the flight, wouldn't the problem surface immediately. Just like my fellow pilot at the beach? My opinion, and we are entitled to our own opinions, is that something happened to the machine during the flight as someone else suggested. Radar emissions perhaps, but who knows.

One last, and final comment: The missing landing footage is probably still on the SD card. What I think happened is we are seeing the first 4GB section of the video. The second, piece which probably has the landing, was not closed properly because the Inspires power was shut off before the camera was turned off. The Inspires stores the video in a FAT32 (file allocation table - 32 bit) format which has a 4GB maximum size. The second, third etc. files are automatically created and the previous one closed automatically by the operating system. There are steps that can be taken to reclaim most of that video if it still exists.

After reading all the pages on this topic I would like to share a few thoughts and opinions. After all, that is one of the benefits of a forum. I agree with most of the suggestions stated so far. Especially the idea of using a checklist, and refraining from doing an IMU calibration until its warranted by a firmware upgrade or a hardware change. That said, I do not agree with the idea of refraining from doing a compass calibration. To me, that's as important as making sure your props are on correctly. I don't understand "The Editors" point about doing it somewhere else and not doing it at the flying field. I am not sure what his source is on defining a new location as "thousands of miles". My reading from DJI in the days I flew the Phantom and now the Inspire is that it is closer to 20 miles rather than thousands. Besides, it has to get done at some point, why not just before you fly. And if its done at some "safe location" lets say, free from underground pipes and wires, what's to prevent the settings to be altered while driving to the flying site. Car speakers, or other outside interference could cause the calibration to be altered. To me, doing a calibration at the field, then checking the sensors is cheap insurance. I hope I am not pissing TE off here because that is not my intention. He has come to my rescue before with advice and I am sure the same holds true with others. But like I said, this is my opinion based on my experiences.

So, to continue my story: Just last week, 3 of us got together to fly at a "not so local beach". We all flew in our respective fields about 50 miles from the beach site without issues a day earlier. As I calibrated my compass, one of the pilots asked why I was calibrating the compass. I said we need to because we are in a different location. I took off after calibrating. No issues. Another pilot did the same, and took off without issues. The third did not calibrate the compass, took off, lost control immediately and ended up in the Atlantic ocean. $3 grand down the drain. He swears now that he will re-calibrate the compass before each flight.

The video referenced in this post does not show the bird having issues until well into the flight. If there were issues with the calibration before the flight, wouldn't the problem surface immediately. Just like my fellow pilot at the beach? My opinion, and we are entitled to our own opinions, is that something happened to the machine during the flight as someone else suggested. Radar emissions perhaps, but who knows.

One last, and final comment: The missing landing footage is probably still on the SD card. What I think happened is we are seeing the first 4GB section of the video. The second, piece which probably has the landing, was not closed properly because the Inspires power was shut off before the camera was turned off. The Inspires stores the video in a FAT32 (file allocation table - 32 bit) format which has a 4GB maximum size. The second, third etc. files are automatically created and the previous one closed automatically by the operating system. There are steps that can be taken to reclaim most of that video if it still exists.
Don't worry - you won't piss me off, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and its what makes the world go round :).
At the end of the day, everybody needs to make their own mind up with regards to procedures and checklists. Whilst guidelines and recommendations can be put in manuals etc when all is said and done It's YOUR Inspire.
The reason I personally do not do a compass calibration every time I change location has been well documented on these forums so I won't go into the theory behind it again however, what I will say is over the last few years I have built and flown many different shape and size multirotors with different flight controllers, different compass/GPS modules and of course many different versions of firmware. In all cases I have followed my philosopby of set it and leave it and I have NEVER had an issue with TBE, erratic flight behaviour or any problem compass related. I do reguarly travel around 300 miles south of my home (which is where I always calibrate my compass) and very recently traveled around 200 miles north and 70 miles east without any calibration done at either end. I had flawless flights throughout my travels.
The point I always make about calibrating at your flying location is you do not actually know being on the ground that you have a good calibration as you have no idea what's around you.
If you want to try this out, try calibrating your compass in your garden and note the results. Now go inside and re calibrate standing around 6-8 feet from a metal radiator. Both will 'calibrate' both will give you safe to fly but only one is outside of the influence of that radiator. Something that would not be an influence once airborne but would still be factored in to the compass reference calibration! That is my point, the calibration done near the radiator will let you fly, but it is affected and altered from the true declination values.

My practice has been spoken about by a couple of DJI representatives and although they do have to be cautious for obvious reasons they have admitted a compass cal is not necessary on every new site so long as the IMU/Compass mod values are all within spec.

The last thing I want to do is say people MUST do this or they MUST do something else, I can only pass on my own personal experience and knowledge for what its worth and can outline what has worked thus far flawlessly for me.

I hope that puts things into perspective and I do hope everybody has safe and uneventful enjoyable flights as I have had over the years. :)

So I updated to latest firmware this morning and took Inspire out to film a large ship on the river.
Was on my third battery TB48 and bring the craft in from about 700m away, although I could see it coming in, controls just didn't seem responding as expected.
Craft came in to about 100m with force control from myself, then started spinning round in huge circles, then started to drop and gain altitude, at this point I knew it was totally out of control, incited RTH, it ignored that command! Then flew over to a huge river, back to me, then over trees just missing them.
What happened next blew me away!
RC and Video signal lost! At this point I presumed it had crashed as it was going at one hell of a speed over the trees and out of sight!
Jumped in my mates VW Golf GTI and headed in the general direction it flew off in. I was carefully monitoring the RC and display for any details.
Maps suddenly appeared showing a route, we traveled to where it was last seen in a large housing area , was not there!
I can't remember what happened next as my head was spinning, my mate said lets go back to where we took off, I said do it, do it fast!
There was an old man there, who had seen us flying earlier, he said your helicopter is down there son, it flew over me and landed, I've put it to one side for you!
I hugged him, I was overwhelmed.
Best part is, all of this was recorded in 4K! Its EPIC

Just out of curioucity,
When after you purchased the Inspire did you initially calibrate the IMU?
Did you recalibrate the IMU again after the firmware update?

Did you also recalibrate the compass after the firmware update?

Just out of curioucity,
When after you purchased the Inspire did you initially calibrate the IMU?
Did you recalibrate the IMU again after the firmware update?

Did you also recalibrate the compass after the firmware update?
When I first fired it up after its long and bumpy travels from China, yes and....yes :)

The only other time I would recalibrate the IMU would be if the mod values were out or the craft (IMU) had been subject to a harsh physical shock.

Been following this thread and learning tons of stuff as I go. Here is the question I'm curious about. So let's say that the Inspire goes crazy and for what ever compass or GPS or other abnormality happens. If you switch to Atti mode and have full control, does the red triangle still show you the true direction that the Inspire is pointing. Obviously my concern is if GPS control is lost and you are borderline out of visual contact, can you move to ATTI MODE and rely on the direction of the red arrow to fly you back to visual control. And when gaining visual a control fall back onto your manual flying skills to land the Inspire.
Thanks. Dennis

Reactions: Storm Chaser
Hi everyone!
Im currently at work and will upload flight data this evening.
Heres the RTH of the Inspire 1, Part of the video clip is missing?
You can see the old guy pick it up and move it off the road after a few minutes, battery was completly dead when I got there, I also amazed it covered that distance on default critical battery level then still had juice to power camera for 5 minutes or so after.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela