Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

FAA 333 Exemption

Hi SanCap, I have a multi-engine land rating, but its not technically current. I simply haven't flown in a while. But do you need to be current on your PPL in order to be PIC of a drone? My understanding is you just need to possess the actual license.

This is what the FAA is saying on everyones 333 Exemption. You will have to take a check ride and have an endorsement from an instructor to be legal.

1. Under this grant of exemption, a PIC must hold either an airline transport, commercial, private, recreational, or sport pilot certificate. The PIC must also hold a current FAA airman medical certificate or a valid U.S. driver’s license issued by a state, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, a territory, a possession, or the Federal government. The PIC must also meet the flight review requirements specified in
    14 CFR § 61.56 in an aircraft in which the PIC is rated on his or her pilot certificate.

I suppose that means that, at the minimum, I need currency in a single engine land plane. But it doesn't make much sense given that they don't require a current medical certificate. I understand the license requirement (sort of), but currency is over the top.

I suppose that means that, at the minimum, I need currency in a single engine land plane. But it doesn't make much sense given that they don't require a current medical certificate. I understand the license requirement (sort of), but currency is over the top.

I agree it is over the top also. I have talked to an instructor and was told that I could get the check ride without a current medical. My guess is that this is all going to change in the future.

Yes, you can take the BFR without a current medical, but after that your pilot's license is invalidated within 90 days in terms of currency if you don't make three takeoffs and landings every three months. And for that you need a medical cert. Either way, my flying skills are a bit soft right now. I'd have to spend quite a bit just to get current again - all to fly the drone. And then after that I'd need to do three takeoffs and landings every 12 weeks in an actual aircraft just to fly the drone commercially. That is nuts.

No you would not have to stay current to be PIC of a drone under your 333 exemption. The only requirement is the 2 year Flight Review. Of course if you wanted to fly a real aircraft with other people you would have to stay current.

BTW look into a company called Aero one. It is a Commercial Pilot that files these 333's for $750.00. You're just looking for a "summary grant" The guys at Aero One have a template for that. They also offer a money back guarantee. $1500.00 for this is ridiculous. That's robbery.

We've got 22 different UAVs on our exemption list. Aero One charges $100 for each additional model.

I'll do each extra aircraft for $5. $300 plus each aircraft beyond the 1st at $5. Max 20. If you want more, we can work it out for less than $5 each.

This isn't a complicated process. You can actually do it yourself. But if you don't want to - I'd be happy to. PM me if you're interested.

If any of you out there are willing to help me do this, let's do it. I'm not looking to get rich, just cover the costs of my time. PM me if you're interested in helping.

It is not about money. It's about the safe integration of UAS into NAS. Its about trying to keep the skies safe. it is about the FAA following existing legislation until new legislation can be written to govern UAS. If I asked you to make sure you were not flying in a TFR and make sure you put up a NOTAM you would look at me like this o_O. That is the reason that the FAA is sticking by the PPL requirement until a UAS license requiring operators to understand the NAS can be adopted. They don't give two hoots about whether you can fly a glider or a 747. They care about whether you understand airspaces, flight rules and restrictions. If you had a pilots license you would understand.

I don't disagree with knowing the rules of the way, but read this response and answer the best you can. WHY then does the hobbyist under AMA have less requirements than the person going commercial. I know of a few who are flying with not contacting the control tower and disrespecting the NFZ. Like I said I agree with the safety, so explain the AMA way of doing it...:)

This is what the FAA is saying on everyones 333 Exemption. You will have to take a check ride and have an endorsement from an instructor to be legal.

1. Under this grant of exemption, a PIC must hold either an airline transport, commercial, private, recreational, or sport pilot certificate. The PIC must also hold a current FAA airman medical certificate or a valid U.S. driver’s license issued by a state, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, a territory, a possession, or the Federal government. The PIC must also meet the flight review requirements specified in
    14 CFR § 61.56 in an aircraft in which the PIC is rated on his or her pilot certificate.

In addition to the flight review requirement;
If your pilot has a rating that requires at least a 3rd class medical, then they would also need the current medical to legally fly under the 333 exemption. If their rating only requires a current driver's lic. then that is what they would need.

I truly believe they will find a solution to acquiring a flying permit for commercial Multirotor work without the need to fly a full scale aircraft. Have a weight limit of 20lbs or under, flight test, drug test, knowledge test, keep it LOS and under 200' for 2 years with upgrades as you fly safely. and work with that. We are not carrying people and flying beyond our LOS.

If your pilot has a rating that requires at least a 3rd class medical, then they would also need the current medical to legally fly under the 333 exemption. If their rating only requires a current driver's lic. then that is what they would need.

I do not read it like that, I read it thinking that I do not need a 3rd class medical and my drivers license will suffice. I do not need a medical to take my Flight Review according to the instructor that I plan to use. I may be wrong but that is how I am going to interpret it. 61.56 makes no mention of a medical certificate.

Under this grant of exemption, a PIC must hold either an airline transport, commercial, private, recreational, or sport pilot certificate. The PIC must also hold a current FAA airman medical certificate or a valid U.S. driver’s license issued by a state, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, a territory, a possession, or the Federal government. The PIC must also meet the flight review requirements specified in

Last edited:
I do not read it like that, I read it thinking that I do not need a 3rd class medical and my drivers license will suffice. I do not need a medical to take my Flight Review according to the instructor that I plan to use. I may be wrong but that is how I am going to interpret it. 61.56 makes no mention of a medical certificate.

Under this grant of exemption, a PIC must hold either an airline transport, commercial, private, recreational, or sport pilot certificate. The PIC must also hold a current FAA airman medical certificate or a valid U.S. driver’s license issued by a state, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, a territory, a possession, or the Federal government. The PIC must also meet the flight review requirements specified in

It's not worth debating this bit of minutia here. Neither of our interpretations could be absolutely substantiated without a court test anyway. I come to my interpretation based upon the spirit of what the FAA is currently requiring, which is currency for any held rating. A driver's license is not acceptable for currency for private pilot (yet) and above ratings. But, I admit that I do not know this for a fact because to my knowledge, it has not been tested.

If you are an exemption holder, or have really dug into the 333 process, you know that the biggest hurdle is not obtaining the exemption itself, but actually operating within the guidelines of the blanket COA. Which is almost impossible because of the 500' rule.

Last edited:
It's not worth debating this bit of minutia here. Neither of our interpretations could be absolutely substantiated without a court test anyway. I come to my interpretation based upon the spirit of what the FAA is currently requiring, which is currency for any held rating. A driver's license is not acceptable for currency for private pilot (yet) and above ratings. But, I admit that I do not know this for a fact because to my knowledge, it has not been tested.

If you are an exemption holder, or have really dug into the 333 process, you know that the biggest hurdle is not obtaining the exemption itself, but actually operating within the guidelines of the blanket COA. Which is almost impossible because of the 500' rule.

I agree, I am almost 5 months into the 333 exemption process, mine was posted in the comment section October 22nd. I was looking at the last few that were granted and noticed that they were originally submitted in the middle of May. I am probably still 2-3 months away from being approved. Who knows what rules or proposed rules will be inplace by the time I do get an exemption.

I agree, I am almost 5 months into the 333 exemption process, mine was posted in the comment section October 22nd. I was looking at the last few that were granted and noticed that they were originally submitted in the middle of May. I am probably still 2-3 months away from being approved. Who knows what rules or proposed rules will be inplace by the time I do get an exemption.

Yeah, you wait and wait, and then without fanfare you get it. Good luck with your endeavor!

UAVSA is doing my paperwork ($500). Mine were turned in in September. I don't want to bother them--I've called once to "check in on my status"..and they say wheels are in motion...so I'm just waiting too. :(

a
Good Morning! I have been looking into getting a commercial license to operate my drones "for profit." I have read through many of the threads and have come to the conclusion that it is an exhausting task to file for the exemption. While doing my research I came across Gowdy Brothers Aerospace, LLC which is a company that specializes in getting FAA 333 exemptions for individuals. The cost is approximately $1500 and covers 23 different purposes, as well as, 13 different drone types including the entire DJI line. Now my questions is, has any one ever had any business dealings with Gowdy Brothers Aerospace, LLC? I would appreciate any comments or help. Thanks and fly safe.

Malbr10

although it takes a week to review approved FAA 333 requests, and find an example which would be most like your needs and the particular exemptions within the 333... all the pdfs are there for you read, and so why pay someone else to leg work when you should have a firm understanding of requirements, manuals and safety procedures. you'll have to pull together the info based on your aircraft, write your preflight, maintenance schedule listing specifics and list features of your aircraft which makes it clearly a candidate for your 333 application.

there are a lot more specifics to consider, but your application is free, not including of course all the time you put into writing the application. all this paperwork will have to be with you while you operating your craft, so it's a good idea that YOU wrote it and know why you wrote what you wrote.

DJI, 3DR etc., have a ton of pdfs on aircraft details, why they're safe, features that help you NOT break any laws as far as where you fly, how high and making sure to keep LOS (line of sight).

i've read so much, the new registration decisions by FAA and DOT are a blanket registration just to start to be able to hold operators accountable for breaking rules. commercial considerations are due i think mid year 2016 - and so far i think the talk will include an additional license, like a drivers license registration with local authorities prior to flying and perhaps some sort of proficiency test which would be annually renewed like a hunting license.

in the meantime - we keep practicing, getting to know our aircraft, and reminding new users of their responsibilities to the community to keep us in good standing with the FAA and DOT. :)

Dave, I found this on the EAA website regarding a Private Pilot exercising the privileges of a Light Sport Pilot. I believe this would remove the 3rd class medical requirement and allow us the get a Flight Review a little cheaper. Any thoughts? Existing Pilots Becoming Sport Pilots | EAA

Dave

as sancap states your medical currency will drop to the ratting that it requires, so if you have a private pilots and you take a check ride, you do not have to have a current medical to pass the check ride. If you pass the check ride and do not have the medical, your rating privileges will drop to the level where your medical status fulfills requirement. In a case that you have a drivers license then you can operate under the privlages guided for a sport pilot, even though you are not a sport pilot to say.

Because the requirements are higher to optain a private pilots, you by default are qualified to operate any of the ratings below the level.

Also, technically you can not fail a bi annual flight review, however if the instructor is not comfortable with your skills then they do not have sign you log book. In this case they will tell you on what you need to work on and you can either do it with them or go to another instructor.

Dave, I found this on the EAA website regarding a Private Pilot exercising the privileges of a Light Sport Pilot. I believe this would remove the 3rd class medical requirement and allow us the get a Flight Review a little cheaper. Any thoughts? Existing Pilots Becoming Sport Pilots | EAA

I understand that a PPL can exercise the privileges of a Sport pilot with only a current driver's lic. so long as their medical had not been denied, just not renewed.

I had not thought of the 333 medical requirement from that perspective. You've convinced me (for whatever that's worth).

Thanks for that perspective!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oharac