Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

FAA fines drone "pilot"

A bit steep, but sometimes you have 'got to pay the rent'. Am glad to see the FAA cracking down on airspace violations. These kind of pilots give the Part 107 AND the entire industry a bad name.....

Nope, sorry JimD, you are wrong. According to the article, 'Mikey posts the videos to a monetized YouTube channel. Mikey does not have a Part 107 certificate and considers himself a recreational drone pilot.' Classic mistake. NEVER use your drone footage for money, unless you are Part 107. I applaud the FAA for cracking down. Too often we commercial pilots (who jump through a lot of hoops to be legal) loose money to some guy without certification. This is especially true in the real estate market. Realtors buy a dinky Mavic and snap stills for their ads, and have zero experience or credentials. I have always been tempted to turn them in, but have never. And for those of us who work for broadcasters, there is also issues with the FCC if any images were not obtained per FAA regs.

Nope, sorry JimD, you are wrong. According to the article, 'Mikey posts the videos to a monetized YouTube channel. Mikey does not have a Part 107 certificate and considers himself a recreational drone pilot.' Classic mistake. NEVER use your drone footage for money, unless you are Part 107. I applaud the FAA for cracking down. Too often we commercial pilots (who jump through a lot of hoops to be legal) loose money to some guy without certification. This is especially true in the real estate market. Realtors buy a dinky Mavic and snap stills for their ads, and have zero experience or credentials. I have always been tempted to turn them in, but have never. And for those of us who work for broadcasters, there is also issues with the FCC if any images were not obtained per FAA regs.
Of course that is true. What I mean is that he got nailed for other violations - if that had been his only violation he would have skated, just like the 1000's of other youtubers.
The FAA is overlooking that for now as it could be on possibly legally shaky grounds, in my opinion.
For example if you are a private pilot (not a commercial pilot) you can take picture and sell them all day long.

I was never able to find a single case of just did not have a 107 to make money off of pictures. There were letters early on but not recently.
The real problem is that everyone should have to take at least a knowledge test (as the law, that FAA has not bothered to implement, states).

In some ways I agree. I have not read his violation letter(s), so I have to rely on the article. I do not think the FAA can cite him for violating Part 107 regs, when he was not a Part 107 pilot. A technicality, but likely the case. His infraction was simply that he was making money with a drone WITHOUT being approved by the FAA for the NAS. The article stated that pretty simply. To me it looks like they may have added a few extra issues, but if every video he posted was w/o the Part 107, then that is $1500. Ouch. Love to see the ''rap' sheet and see the charges listed. A lot of money for sure, that I am sure he will be able to negotiate down. BUT, he better hire a good attorney (more money). AND, it may be time to pony up $160 and get his Part 107 (if he still has the stomach to fly).

In some ways I agree. I have not read his violation letter(s), so I have to rely on the article. I do not think the FAA can cite him for violating Part 107 regs, when he was not a Part 107 pilot. A technicality, but likely the case. His infraction was simply that he was making money with a drone WITHOUT being approved by the FAA for the NAS. The article stated that pretty simply. To me it looks like they may have added a few extra issues, but if every video he posted was w/o the Part 107, then that is $1500. Ouch. Love to see the ''rap' sheet and see the charges listed. A lot of money for sure, that I am sure he will be able to negotiate down. BUT, he better hire a good attorney (more money). AND, it may be time to pony up $160 and get his Part 107 (if he still has the stomach to fly).
"The FAA has issued fines for various infractions such as flying over 400 feet, reckless flying, flying in the rain, fog, and in strong winds. "
And probably over people.
No mention that I have seen of not having a 107 for the pictures.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomasovinido