Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

FCPX users!

Reaction score
Hi!

I’m gonna buy a new laptop to edit X5S videos. Currently taking h.264/265 but upgrading to Prores in near future. Just wanna hear your thoughts about powerful MacBooks&FCPX&4K overall performance.

I have an Inspire 2 and use the standard X4S normally and typically record in 2.7k 60fps cinema-D.

I use FCPX on a 2013 iMac 32GB i7 3.5MHz. It works very well! I also have a 2016 MacBook Pro to do some editing and it works better, but smaller screen space. I do recommend. Good luck.

I have a new MacBook Pro 15" 2018 model with 32GB RAM, 2.9Ghz Intel Core 9 processor, Radeon Pro 555X 4MB Video Card and 1TB SSD with External 12TB storage array and have no issues with FCPX. Works great with 4K, Prores and 1080P is a piece of cake. Actually the Prores is even easier on the system than codecs like 4K. There was a great video I saw some time back about how the different codec's cause more issues because the systems having to manipulate the files and render the footage versus using a codec like Prores where it doesn't have to work through all that rendering of the compressed files. Also showed how FCPX was way more efficient than Premiere on Mac OS because of that.

You should have no issues with a newer model. I used to run on a 2013 MacBook Pro and could do some fairly large video compositions in FCPX but it would slow down a bit doing all 4K videos and stacking them for a multi video scene, like a split or sliced screen setup. But since it didn't support the Prores or H.265 formats at the time, I couldn't use it. I did edit some video from my Phantom 4 Pro in H.265 in Premiere and it worked ok. Nothing too complex or anything but it seemed to render just fine and I could edit.

I will also use the Transcoding Media features like Create Optimized and Proxies to help with editing. Makes for smooth video during editing. If you're finding that your video is stuttering during editing, try that.

I haven't done much editing in H.265 since all my clients lately have been ones asking for raw footage and they want it in 1080P and not 4K. Crazy that folks are still wanting that format. Even if they output to 1080P you'd think they would want to use 4K to edit with to allow for better scaling and zooms, cropping options. Oh well.

Hope that helps.

I have a new MacBook Pro 15" 2018 model with 32GB RAM, 2.9Ghz Intel Core 9 processor, Radeon Pro 555X 4MB Video Card and 1TB SSD with External 12TB storage array and have no issues with FCPX. Works great with 4K, Prores and 1080P is a piece of cake. Actually the Prores is even easier on the system than codecs like 4K. There was a great video I saw some time back about how the different codec's cause more issues because the systems having to manipulate the files and render the footage versus using a codec like Prores where it doesn't have to work through all that rendering of the compressed files. Also showed how FCPX was way more efficient than Premiere on Mac OS because of that.

You should have no issues with a newer model. I used to run on a 2013 MacBook Pro and could do some fairly large video compositions in FCPX but it would slow down a bit doing all 4K videos and stacking them for a multi video scene, like a split or sliced screen setup. But since it didn't support the Prores or H.265 formats at the time, I couldn't use it. I did edit some video from my Phantom 4 Pro in H.265 in Premiere and it worked ok. Nothing too complex or anything but it seemed to render just fine and I could edit.

I will also use the Transcoding Media features like Create Optimized and Proxies to help with editing. Makes for smooth video during editing. If you're finding that your video is stuttering during editing, try that.

I haven't done much editing in H.265 since all my clients lately have been ones asking for raw footage and they want it in 1080P and not 4K. Crazy that folks are still wanting that format. Even if they output to 1080P you'd think they would want to use 4K to edit with to allow for better scaling and zooms, cropping options. Oh well.

Hope that helps.

Thanks man! That answered all my questions.

I have a new MacBook Pro 15" 2018 model with 32GB RAM, 2.9Ghz Intel Core 9 processor, Radeon Pro 555X 4MB Video Card and 1TB SSD with External 12TB storage array and have no issues with FCPX.

Hope that helps.

I have literally just ordered the same spec machine (although it says Radeon Pro 560 graphics) which should arrive in around a weeks time.

As my first Mac OS machine I just hope I can get to feel comfortable with the os without too much hassle.

£3,700 is one hell of a cost for a laptop so it better be good!!!

Reactions: slim.slamma
For those on a budget it may actually be wise to look into gaming laptops to get the best bang for your buck. I use an Hp Omen gaming laptop for my video editing and it works great.

Specs are I7-8750 cpu, gtx 1060 gpu, 16gb of RAM, a 1tb HDD and a 256 SSD.

It only cost me $1000 dollars and suit my needs perfectly.

Reactions: Bigdz

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tycet