Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Fell from Sky

Reaction score
hi,

My dji inspire was up and flying for about two minutes before it fell at random and crashed to the ground. I only had it 10' off the ground and was working on getting a specific angle I wanted. I checked the battery, etc to see if there was and glitch that I could find but was unsuccessful. Anyone else ever have this issue? I have 3 of the 4 legs now damaged and I am unsure where to get them repaired? I've attached a photo of one of the legs, but I'm most concerned that I had a software or battery glitch. I have not yet updated the firmware, but not sure that would cause it to drop. The battery ejected after the drone hit the ground and was still lit up, indicating it was on the whole time. Real confused at how this could happen. I've had the inspire since late March/April 2015.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    955.3 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 62
hi,

My dji inspire was up and flying for about two minutes before it fell at random and crashed to the ground. I only had it 10' off the ground and was working on getting a specific angle I wanted. I checked the battery, etc to see if there was and glitch that I could find but was unsuccessful. Anyone else ever have this issue? I have 3 of the 4 legs now damaged and I am unsure where to get them repaired? I've attached a photo of one of the legs, but I'm most concerned that I had a software or battery glitch. I have not yet updated the firmware, but not sure that would cause it to drop. The battery ejected after the drone hit the ground and was still lit up, indicating it was on the whole time. Real confused at how this could happen. I've had the inspire since late March/April 2015.
Send to Dji LA and wait 8 weeks

Hey mate, I had the same thing happen exactly 2 weeks ago, except mine ended in a lake (about 2min45sec into the flight). Dried her out and incredibly she flies again (though I won't trust her more than a few feet of the deck). Camera works but gimbal is wasted.

Please send your .DAT file to DJI so they can asses. If this is some kinda flight computer error or something we've got a good chance of getting them replaced by DJI, so it's definitely worth the effort.

Here's the link to my issue thread on this forum:
http://www.inspirepilots.com/threads/motor-or-esc-failure-inspire1-meets-lake.4228/

The I1 should not just drop out of the sky. Unless there was a motor failure, the most like cause is the battery. You should be asking yourself: what was the battery charge on take-off? what was it before it dropped? what was it after you pick up the pieces? did you check the battery cell voltages before launching? did you observe a sudden drop in charge? when was it last charged? have you been deep cycling it every 10 to 20 charges? have you updated to the latest battery firmware 1.2.1.6?

There are many posts of the performance of LiPo batteries and especially the discharge profile. I too have experienced a sudden drop when I launched with a battery charged 2 weeks prior to the flight. It had 90%+ on installation but this dropped to 65% after launch, got to 30% and dropped off the cliff to 8% and I immediately landed with just 5% remaining.

Last edited:
Could the battery have been badly placed in the inspire to begin with? You say it popped out and was lit up still, its not likely that a UAV simply crashes to the ground unless there is a catastrophic power failure, and that is more often that not caused by badly connected batteries.

If the battery was badly charged etc, you would have got the low battery warning etc....

if a motor had failed then you would have noticed the other motors still spinning while it veered of and tumbled.

Perhaps a little more info on how it fell might shed some light on possible scenarios

Reactions: Scotflieger
hi,

Just to let you know DJI will replace/repair my Inspire (which fell out of the sky) under warranty. Thus far I've had a good service from them. Took 2 weeks from the date of reporting the incident for them to asses and make the call to replace/repair. I asked if they could help with shipping and they said they'd arrange pickup from the courier company. Now the bird is off to Germany.

May you have the same result!:D

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
Well done DJI!
Its good to read something positive about DJI on this forum, unfortunately it is only too easy to become focused on the negatives.
Thus far, my experience with DJI has all been positive.
Well done @Ferdi for getting a good result..
After all the horror stories I've read I was expecting them to tell me to go jump in a lake :p
I really didn't expect them to replace/repair under warranty, but their responses to my emails were quick and courteous.
So much of the result is dictated by how you treat the people on the other end who, after all, are just doing their job.

My Inspire crashed a few weeks ago, but it didn't so much fall out of the sky as head to the ground at a steep angle, props still spinning, and refuse to respond to controls. Since it was only 20 feet above the ground there was no time to hit RTH and see if that worked.
Glad you received good customer service. It does make a huge difference.

My Inspire crashed a few weeks ago, but it didn't so much fall out of the sky as head to the ground at a steep angle, props still spinning, and refuse to respond to controls. Since it was only 20 feet above the ground there was no time to hit RTH and see if that worked.
Glad you received good customer service. It does make a huge difference.
Sorry to hear about your crash! It sucks, but sooner or later we all go through it:(
If you haven't yet, my suggestion would be to contact DJI Support, not pointing fingers or demanding anything, just politely asking if they can assess the Flight Records to see what happened, and take it from there. Good luck with the process. It does take a while, but at this stage of DJI's development we just have to deal with it. No amount of complaining can make things happen faster.

Reactions: turbodronepilot

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44