Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Filming off of a helipad?

Reaction score
Hi all,

Has anyone done any filming off of a helipad on a very tall building?
I have just been asked to film 7 VIP's standing on a helipad with the Inspire 1.
I am doing a trial shoot is 3 days and if all goes well the real shoot about 1 week later.
My brief is a close to far pull away shot, a reveal and a 180 degrees circling shot with the city in the background. There will also be some stills.
Any tips or tricks will be appreciated.

Cheers

Would be interested in this as well. I tried to fly from the roof of a parking garage (4 stories up) in downtown Columbus, Ohio. I got a bad IMU / compass warning...so I lost my nerve and gave up. It would be great to be able to take off from this location because it is isolated. Thanks,

I didn't think about IMU or compass issues…. crossing my fingers! These un-anticipatedI issues is why I requested a trial flight!

I've heard of people taking off from roof tops...I'm not sure what was going on with my experience...there are times when this would really be helpful. Not sure what the altitude readings would be as well...if that is a concern?

Thanks...I will give this another try. Doing tests when you can with paying gigs...I mean when you are shooting for nothing...is super-helpful.
and
I really don't like going to 400' feet anyway...makes me really nervous. Is there any problem going below the height of the building from which you take off? For example, If I take of from the roof of a 4 story parking garage...then head out to an adjacent park...the shot I want...and I fly below the height I took off from...does that create any problems? Thanks for your help.

I did a test filming of the Helipad yesterday with some mixed results-

- The inspire compass setting went to about 1750 but was showing "Safe to Fly"
I was not brave enough to try a compass calibration (standing on a metal helipad)
- Hovering the inspire in GPS node it was not smooth at all.. It was staying in a the designated area but very rapid small correction of up to about 1 foot (30 cm) on all axis
As soon as I got about 3-4 meters high it seemed to calm down
- When I was pulling away to do the reveal shot the Inspire would not pull straight back it would skew off a few degrees

When I was back on the ground I checked the compass settings again and they were about 1500 and it hovered very smoothly.

I have tuned down my gains but I am thinking this is giving the Inspire too much "play".

Any recommendation when doing the shot next week?

Cheers

I have turned down my gains and braking...I think this is definitely something you need to get used to...especially approaching objects and not having the craft brake on a dime...but I am getting used to it and am better able to pan the camera smoothly while moving laterally, for instance. In regards to the unstable movement in GPS when you take off, I have no idea. At least you know what to expect when your real shoot comes up...and hopefully adapt.

The great thing about this aerial shooting (especially with the heavier Inspire) is that almost everything you shoot looks great...sometimes just a nice smooth establishing shot with a little movement is all you really need to make clients happy.

Thanks for your input.
I am cranking my gains back up for this shoot.
I was out practicing in 20kt winds this morning..
Here is a screen shot from our practice shoot yesterday.

Cheers

185606x0shs366qe3gzi98.jpg

All I have to say it watch for WINDS. I did a shoot for a friend of mine last spring at U of Penn. The Pad was fine, what I did not realize was how strong the updraft was along side the buildings. It was a warm day and getting warmer. As I few out beyond the exterior of the building the air must have been moving at 15-20 mph. As soon as the Phantom hit it........it went straight up

All I have to say it watch for WINDS. I did a shoot for a friend of mine last spring at U of Penn. The Pad was fine, what I did not realize was how strong the updraft was along side the buildings. It was a warm day and getting warmer. As I few out beyond the exterior of the building the air must have been moving at 15-20 mph. As soon as the Phantom hit it........it went straight up
Yup, always expect updrafts from steep sided buildings/structures.

Dams can be particularly evil if you are not prepared for it. :eek:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry