Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Finally finished reading the entire FAR Part 107...

SanCap, if you are located in Southwest Florida then you are in the Tampa FSDO area. That is my FSDO as well, if you let me know where you are in the area I will give you the name of a DPE near you. Of course the DPE will not know anything about it yet.

Expect at least a two week wait for the FSDO and they will probably really encourage you to contact a DPE or CFI, and that is for normal stuff. I would expect the flood of request they will make the wait even longer.

I on on Sanibel Island near Ft Myers. I just took the test for Part 107 Remote Pilot. I might try to make an appointment with FSDO soon for mid to late August. I am sure a DPE is gonna want a couple hundreds bucks.

RP.jpg

I didn't read every ones post, but a couple of concerns or questions I have regarding the 107. We currently are waiting for the 333, listed on FAA in December. I believe the 107 is great but also going to cause issues because when those EVENTS come around instead of one or maybe two flyers your going to have multiple rigs in the sky around these events. Why? because no one can tell them NO! I think event organizers, promoters and officials of the local govt may have to have a plan in case they have every Tom, **** and Harry having the right to fly the local carnival. ALSO we have an insurance policy, does the 107 eliminate the requirement for these people to carry some form of liability at least? Another potential disaster if not.....

For certificated pilots, other than students, you need to take a free online course number ALC-451 which should be available at faasafety.gov. With this certificate, identification, current flight review and a visit to an Certified Flight Instructor you can get a remote pilot certificate.

If anyone needs more details I will be happy to explain.

I am a little unclear on this point. Is this saying that currently certified pilots (sport, private, etc.) can go online right now and take the free online course, ALC-451, pass it, and then go receive a temporary remote pilot certificate from your CFI? Does this also apply to non certified pilots?

Brian,

Your question is a little complicated depending under what, if any, pilot privileges you current have or are operating your UAS under.

I will assume for the moment that you have none and consider it a model aircraft. This falls under the Public Law 112-95, Title III, Subtitle B - Unmanned Aircraft Systems. Under SEC. 336 Specials Rule for Model Aircraft it states:

(a) IN GENERAL.—Notwithstanding any other provision of law relating to the incorporation of unmanned aircraft systems into Federal Aviation Administration plans and policies, including this subtitle, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft, if—

(1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;

There are several other requirements regarding safety guidelines, weight, manned aircraft and distance from airport, but your answer is in the "strictly for hobby or recreational use".

If you do not fall under this public law then you must have a pilotscertificate and that pilot certificate has certain privileges and limitations. As an example as a private pilot the regulation that prohibits this is 61.113(a) which states in part "...nor may that person, for compensation or hire, act as pilot in command of an aircraft."

If you have a commercial license it allows you to be compensated in certain situations, but not all.

The problem is without the new 107 regulations there are many other regulations that apply to aircraft including things like airworthiness requirements, equipment, and see and avoid, that need to be waived in order to operate an UAS under a private pilot, or even commercial pilot license, and that is why until now you needed a 333 waiver. It is this waiver that allows you to operate a UAS for compensation or hire using your private pilot license. It in effect waives 61.113(a).

If you would like me to go into more detail I will be happy to do so, but I will needs some more specifics of your intended use.

The new remote pilot certificate is a pilot certificate and it does have certain privileges and limitations as well. You can say it is a lessor license in that it does not allow you to operate a manned aircraft, but you could also say it it a superior license in that it does allow you to operate a unmanned aircraft. As an example, while I have commercial certificates to operation manned land aircraft, I still will need an remote pilot certificate added to my current pilot certificate to allow me to be a remote pilot.

Dave, thanks for the feedback -- I've downloaded the docs from the FAA but I'm not sure when I'll get a week to read them...

The rules changes are pretty much in line with what I've been saying for some time in that we were likely to reach a point where drone operators (pilots by another name) could be licensed to fly them commercially without having a license to fly manned airplanes or helicopters (remote pilot certificate) but that there would be some mission types that required a higher rating.

I note with interest that there is still strong controls and limits for missions that involved flying over people and thus far it seems limited to movie sets. However, as I mentioned in several priors, it's a certainty that at some point we will have drones flying over many people at stadium sporting events, but it's likely this will be several years down the road and will require the highest ratings, specific training, and drones that have been certified for that type of work. The M600 with triple redundant IMU's are a step in that direction and it's my guess that's exactly what DJI had in mind when they designed it.

Brian

I didn't read every ones post, but a couple of concerns or questions I have regarding the 107. We currently are waiting for the 333, listed on FAA in December. I believe the 107 is great but also going to cause issues because when those EVENTS come around instead of one or maybe two flyers your going to have multiple rigs in the sky around these events. Why? because no one can tell them NO! I think event organizers, promoters and officials of the local govt may have to have a plan in case they have every Tom, **** and Harry having the right to fly the local carnival. ALSO we have an insurance policy, does the 107 eliminate the requirement for these people to carry some form of liability at least? Another potential disaster if not.....
The FAA is not in the insurance monitoring business. It is up to each client to set forth insurance coverage requirements before hiring a pilot.

I am a little unclear on this point. Is this saying that currently certified pilots (sport, private, etc.) can go online right now and take the free online course, ALC-451, pass it, and then go receive a temporary remote pilot certificate from your CFI? Does this also apply to non certified pilots?

The CFI CAN NOT issue a temporary certificate.

I on on Sanibel Island near Ft Myers. I just took the test for Part 107 Remote Pilot. I might try to make an appointment with FSDO soon for mid to late August. I am sure a DPE is gonna want a couple hundreds bucks.

View attachment 8951

Congrats -- how long did it take to complete the course and what is the passing requirements? I'd guess you need 100% and if you miss a question your fed back to the source material and given another chance to pass it -- is that about right?

I'm guessing these are kind of like the OSHA tests...

Brian

Reactions: SanCap
Congrats -- how long did it take to complete the course and what is the passing requirements? I'd guess you need 100% and if you miss a question your fed back to the source material and given another chance to pass it -- is that about right?

I'm guessing these are kind of like the OSHA tests...

Brian
if you miss a question your fed back to the source material and given another chance to pass it -- is that about right?
Correct.

An event organizer, promoter or official can prohibit launching or landing a drone, but only the FAA can regulate what happens in the air. Just keep in mind that careless or reckless operations are prohibited.

Insurance is not part of the requirements.

Reactions: kcobello
Dave, thanks for the feedback -- I've downloaded the docs from the FAA but I'm not sure when I'll get a week to read them...

The rules changes are pretty much in line with what I've been saying for some time in that we were likely to reach a point where drone operators (pilots by another name) could be licensed to fly them commercially without having a license to fly manned airplanes or helicopters (remote pilot certificate) but that there would be some mission types that required a higher rating.

I note with interest that there is still strong controls and limits for missions that involved flying over people and thus far it seems limited to movie sets. However, as I mentioned in several priors, it's a certainty that at some point we will have drones flying over many people at stadium sporting events, but it's likely this will be several years down the road and will require the highest ratings, specific training, and drones that have been certified for that type of work. The M600 with triple redundant IMU's are a step in that direction and it's my guess that's exactly what DJI had in mind when they designed it.

Brian

Brian, I do not believe there will be any higher rating than certified remote pilot. Flying over people is prohibited. To do so would require an 107 waiver, which is not likely to be granted other than a closed set. Before the FAA would grant such a waiver you would have to come up with an way of insuring equivalent level of safety.

To use a helicopter in a closed set also require special safety precautions and the FAA sees no reason to relax these requirements for a drone.

This is intended to be the first level of legalizing UAS for the lowest risk operations and we can expect more regulations to come as the industry figures out how to do more with UAS and still remain safe.

Reactions: kcobello
Ok. Who issues the temporary certificate?

If using IACRA and the applicant is utilizing a CFI as the FAA representative, the applicant can print their own temporary airman certificate after receiving an email from the FAA notifying them that it is available.

Yes, certified pilots, other than students, can do a free on line course to add Remote pilot to their certificate. It does not apply to non-certified pilots. They must take a written test every two years. A certified pilot must do a flight review every two years.

A certified pilot already has received training and evaluation regarding airspace, risk management, aeronautical decision making, weather, NOTAM, TFR, etc.

Not an interpretation at all but as the current rules state for closed set environment the PIC would still need a 333 exemption as the 107 does not apply
Not a 333 waiver, unless you already have one. Instead you need a part 107 waiver for a closed set environment.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
THE FLYING LIZARD