Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

FLIR Vue gimbal for I2?

Reaction score

I found this link for a gimbal for a FlIR Vue. I was wondering if anyone has tried or used this gimbal on the I2?

I have the FLIR Vue camera and this looks like a good option. But it is a bit of a pricey experiment.

I took a Thermal Certification course a few months back and I was the only one in the class operating an I2. What you posted is the ONLY company I've found so far that can outfit an I2 with thermal. You're right, it's a pricey experiment. For me it would be about $7 grand. Still trying to decide if just getting a dedicated bird would be a better option. I2's, I've learned (after major investments of equipment), was specifically designed for cinematography.

I took a Thermal Certification course a few months back and I was the only one in the class operating an I2. What you posted is the ONLY company I've found so far that can outfit an I2 with thermal. You're right, it's a pricey experiment. For me it would be about $7 grand. Still trying to decide if just getting a dedicated bird would be a better option. I2's, I've learned (after major investments of equipment), was specifically designed for cinematography.
There are other options/companies offering bespoke solutions as well as threads on this forum covering same.
Drone Expert NL has US distribution channels

Thanks for all the info. There is a guy on Ebay who makes a mount for the I1 where you can attach a evo ss gimbal and then can hang a FLIR vue pro camera or go pro sized camera. I think he is trying to design the same type of mount for an I 2 but he hasn't found a good place to attach it. If there is some interest I can tell him we have some interest and I think he is willing to tackle the project.

I've got a Flir vue pro I have been try to attach to a drone for a project for awhile. Still working on it.

I like the XT attached to the I1. I just keep hearing of those occassionally falling from the sky and cold weather issues. But I have to man up and just use it.

I'm doing it more for a hobby right now but my commercial rating is coming soon so who knows?

So this is a top mount for the Inspire 2 which allows g pro attachment or maybe a gimbal to the top of the Inspire. My Flir Vue pro has a go pro type attachment so at the very least I could use it as a go pro type thermal camera for flights on the Inspire 2 and or try to attach it to the Gimbal. If it is successful it may be one approach.

Good point!
The same guy is looking at designing a bottom mount unit.

Hello,
Installation by drone expert nederland. Works great for us.

Attachments

• I2.jpg
    I2.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: Cat Eyes
Hello,
Installation by drone expert nederland. Works great for us.
Thanks for the feedback. How long did it take to ship it to them, for them to do the work, and ship it back to you? Is it cumbersome to switch from thermal to just regular use? What happens to the craft modification when you're flying without thermal? I'm looking at nearly $7 grand to get outfitted for thermal yet there's very little on I2's and thermal as I'm sure you're very well aware.

I'd appreciate learning about your experiences.

Matt

Hello,
I was the first to ask droneexpert to install a FLIR Dual pro under the inspire 2. It took a long time for design and manufacturing, 6 months. If I had to do it again, I would do it again but I would ask for a 2-axis gimbal instead of 3 axes because the yaw axis is not used. Switching between the FLIR camera and the X7 camera is quick. It's clearly more economical than buying the DJI Matrice 210 with the XT2. The result is the same.
Regards,

Reactions: rbycapri
My first thermal solution was a self contained VuIR Gimbal for the I2 made by Tony at sUAS. They have lots of videos out there. It was the cheapest way for me to get into Thermal. I believe it was about $4000 at the time and I already had the I2. It was a learning tool. Never made any money with it, but learned a lot about Thermal data acquisition and thermal interpretation and tuning.
Fast forward to my first Client about a year later. Learned very quickly that that solution was not viable for any type fo commercial use. I had to purchase an I1 and Flir XT 336 performance to keep the client. Those self contained units, you will have to contend with batteries that power the camera and gimbal, high end 9 volt which only last one flight, power the controller, which is separate from the drone controller and limited features to control the Flir vuePro.
I have been very fortunate that my Thermal Client base has grown and now fly Matrice 200 series and XT 2 Duo. My Client missions are anywhere from 2 to 20 acres at a time. Everyone wants both RGB and Thermal, so again the above I2 and self contained Gimbal would not work. If I could do it all over again, I would buy an I1V2 and Flir XT 336 30htz performance. You can get the entire package now for around $4000 if you look. THIS IS YOUR LEARNING PLATFORM. Remember, your perspective client will choose you because of you experience, background and expertise in an area of interest, not because you have an expensive drone and sensor. IMHO

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry