Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Fly away?

Reaction score
Today, while flying in 15 mph winds, I think I had a fly away. I'm not 100% positive. I calibrated the compass and had it take off and hover. Noticed it was glitching ever so slightly. Then it stopped. So I took it up higher and flew over to the corner of the property to get the shot. Hit return to home and when it was coming down, with some slight stick corrections, it flew off like I was full stick. I managed to get it high enough to clear buildings and stuff and managed to bring it down.

How do I figure out what happened? Bad GPS, bad calibration, wind, something else? I ask because I want to be able to prevent this from happening or atleast know what is happening and how to fix it..

I've emailed DJI also.

Today, while flying in 15 mph winds, I think I had a fly away. I'm not 100% positive. I calibrated the compass and had it take off and hover. Noticed it was glitching ever so slightly. Then it stopped. So I took it up higher and flew over to the corner of the property to get the shot. Hit return to home and when it was coming down, with some slight stick corrections, it flew off like I was full stick. I managed to get it high enough to clear buildings and stuff and managed to bring it down.

How do I figure out what happened? Bad GPS, bad calibration, wind, something else? I ask because I want to be able to prevent this from happening or atleast know what is happening and how to fix it..

I've emailed DJI also.
These kind of threads nearly always start with 'So I calibrated the compass.........

Do not, I repeat DO NOT calibrate the compass every flight.
You are asking for trouble.
Do, calibrate in a known good location - then leave it alone.
Do however, always check the mod values of the sensors before every single take off.

Lots of info on this on the forum - have a search around and you will see.

Let's see your log files as suggested and we can advise further.

I usually don't calibrate it ever. I was pretty far away from where I normally fly so decided it might be a good idea.

I'll look into getting the log files this week and checking the mod values.

Flight logs are clear. Showed no errors or issues during flight. My issue occurred around 80 ft and nearly over the home point. Compass calibration and IMU numbers all appear in range. However, if hit the check IMU button it comes back as needs calibration.

Flight logs are clear. Showed no errors or issues during flight. My issue occurred around 80 ft and nearly over the home point. Compass calibration and IMU numbers all appear in range. However, if hit the check IMU button it comes back as needs calibration.
IMU or compass?
Your original post made no reference to IMU but your last post does.
What are you mod values at rest? (Accelerometer and Gyro)

IN the screen where you check the Sensor settings there is a button to "Check IMU" when I hit it it says "Needs Calibration" in red... That is the only reason I mentioned the IMU this time around.

Mod Values at rest are...
.01 - Gyro
.96 - Acceleration
1505.03 - Compass

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry