Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

flying a golf course

Pretty simple. Use Litchi or autopilot waypoint flying. Litchi is easier yet both work very well. Go to my www.genevanational.smugmug.com site and look for the folder drones and you can see all my golf course flights. We operate many hotels and golf courses and I fly personally. I edit in final cut pro as it was inexpensive with great features. Good luck!

Dennis has a point. It can be viewed as policing, but it can also be viewed as helpful as the OP is opening himself up to huge liability and it's our responsibility to let him know that.

My view of the whole licensing thing is from a liability point of view. As the OP has seen, things can and do go wrong.

Let's say someone gets hurt in this endeavour and he is NOT licensed, nor insured? Is the OP prepared to lose everything he owns in a law suit (which he would almost certainly loose being neglegent).

Hi,

I can highly recommend Autopilot for this.

Here's an example. On this one the client wanted the fairway to be 1 minute, so I adjusted the speed to make that work.

If it asks for a password it is " Fines " capitalized just like that.

Any questions please feel free to ask.

Hi,

I can highly recommend Autopilot for this.

Here's an example. On this one the client wanted the fairway to be 1 minute, so I adjusted the speed to make that work.

If it asks for a password it is " Fines " capitalized just like that.

Any questions please feel free to ask.
The member said he was going to shoot a golf course. Even if he didn't get paid, the client will when the footage is used for marketing. The banning of drones in Thailand has nothing to do with politics. Only licensed operators can fly under strict rules. It will happen everywhere soon .
No doubt you are licensed for this commercial operation?
I have a feeling we know the answer to that...lol.
I have a feeling we know the answer to that...lol.

In the U.S., it is a violation of federal law to fly drones for the "furtherance of a business" without FAA approval - either the old Section 333 exemption or under the new 14 CFR Part 107.

Take a class, learn how to fly. Any professional Pilot / Cinematographer, with training can fly that show, without the help of any gps apps, "what happen when the app fails, what happens when something unexpected happens and the app runs into a golf cart that got in the way? Here is a "free tip" we do it in the Movies all the time. Fly the job backwards. Start a the hole, fly back to you, using your tablet to keep the camera centered on the hole. It amazes me to know length to see people who go out and spend $4000 on a product and wont spend, $500 to $1000 to learn how to use it.

Reactions: Dic181 and unyks
Take a class, learn how to fly. Any professional Pilot / Cinematographer, with training can fly that show, without the help of any gps apps, "what happen when the app fails, what happens when something unexpected happens and the app runs into a golf cart that got in the way? Here is a "free tip" we do it in the Movies all the time. Fly the job backwards. Start a the hole, fly back to you, using your tablet to keep the camera centered on the hole. It amazes me to know length to see people who go out and spend $4000 on a product and wont spend, $500 to $1000 to learn how to use it.
Good point. Have attempted to use this technique in the past but realized in post-production that I captured a truck in motion. Couldn't use the clip because the truck appeared driving backwards. :)

Finaly.... Someone that speaks the truth... Well said.

Hi:
I was asked today to fly approx 450 yards in a straight line over a golf course. I have never flown my drone this distance and found it very difficult to keep the drone in sight, keep it straight, maintain its height and keep away from trees. I also found it hard to control both direction and height while watching the my inspire from a great distance. My client wanted me to fly the 450 yards of the course, keeping close to the fairway and then land the drone on the green as if it were a ball. Then take off again and fly back. Well I tried, and tried, and eventually hit the branches of a tree. The Inspire landed upside down, two broken props, but this appears all the damage. I did have to disconnect and then reconnect the gimbal again when I fired it up and got no picture. Guess I am lucky eh! Anyway, am looking for tips on how to do a flight like this. The course is surrounded on either side by trees, so I have to fly in a corridor. My eye site must be failing because when it is at a distance I can't see exactly where I am, how close I am to the trees and how close I am to the ground.
Advise please!!!

Waypoint flying is probably the ticket. First off, you should be able to do 1500' standing on your head. I have flown my Inspire a distance of 4500' without a range extender, and a record distance of 6000' with a range extender. So 450 yards shouldn't be an issue. Flying that far and maintaining LOS is a pipe dream, my friend. Count on your monitor. For me, I prefer FatShark Dominator V3 goggles. Use your first battery to set up the waypoints, and then another battery or two to actually fly them at different speeds. The DJI app holds on to your waypoints, so you can try again the next day if you wish.

I have created a couple Inspire waypoint tutorials that should help:

Beginning ->

And advanced ->

The "fast forward" and "rewind" options are your best friend. If you can get WiFi, the map in "satellite view" will really help you get the waypoints set up accurately.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Donnie

Any of the waypoints apps will do this. The easiest to use for your purpose i think is Airnest. Just draw the path on the map. Litchi and Autopilot will also do it with more control options at each waypoint.

PFAW Holder
BNUC-S Qualified

I know it's off topic, but I have a client coming up who is going to supply multiple GPS coordinates for the purpose of creating pano's at each point. Do any of the third-party apps allow me to either enter gps coordinates manually, or at least tell me the GPS coordinates of a waypoint I have selected, and then allow me to adjust that point to my exact GPS location? I tried to get support from Autopilot and Airnest, but they require accounts, which I do not wish to set up until I know I'm going to own the software. Thanx.

I know it's off topic, but I have a client coming up who is going to supply multiple GPS coordinates for the purpose of creating pano's at each point. Do any of the third-party apps allow me to either enter gps coordinates manually, or at least tell me the GPS coordinates of a waypoint I have selected, and then allow me to adjust that point to my exact GPS location? I tried to get support from Autopilot and Airnest, but they require accounts, which I do not wish to set up until I know I'm going to own the software. Thanx.
Not that I know of

PFAW Holder
BNUC-S Qualified

Litchi will allow you to display Lat and Long on screen while you are flying.
You could set up your waypoint mission beforehand or fly to the GPS position and then enter a waypoint at the aircraft position. You can then Program each waypoint action (up to 20 actions per waypoint) and one of the programmable actions is automated pano mode. This will rotate the aircraft or gimbal (your choice) a set number of degrees and take a photo at each 'stopping' point in the rotation. This is freely configurable.

Waypoints would be the best option and have best results.

Where is your take off point? Are you taking off at the tee box?

You have a few more options.

You can take off and position yourself somewhere in the middle of that 450 yards. That would give you the best visual line of sight to the bird. Once take off you can fly back the 200 plus to get to the tee box. If the hole is a dog leg I would position myself in the bend of the dog leg, that way I should have good line of sight to the green where you would be descending. Using this method I would make sure that you are behind something or out of the view of the camera while the UAS comes down the fairway. Its extremely unprofessional to have yourself in the shot that's part of the final edit.

Another option would be to fly it very slowly and walk behind it. Then in processing you speed up the video.

Another option (If you hold Part 107 PIC certification) would be to use a golf cart and have someone to drive you as you control the remote staying just behind the UAS.

Good luck!

Download and use the Litchi App.
I flew at approx 160 ft.
This video was done on an autonomous flight. Programmed in a few waypoints and presto.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anastasiyakavitko6