Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Flying in Pittsburgh

Reaction score
I have a client who is looking for generic Pittsburgh aerial footage. I know there are DJI restrictions around the stadiums downtown, but the immediate area over the rivers surrounding the downtown area are not in controlled airspace. I have my Part 107 remote pilot license. I'm looking for advice from anyone who has flown/shot in this area...best places to shoot from? Any red flags I should consider?

Here is a demo of what I have shot around Ohio...has lots of Cleveland, Cincy and Columbus shots...looking to do something like this in Pittsburgh. Ground shots were done with my OSMO_X3. I fly with Inspire1 and X5. I have a Mavic as well.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Mike Meyer
Columbus, Ohio

Last edited:
Reactions: zothar
Very nice demo reel, sorry I have no input on your question.

Sure hope you got permission to fly near that helicopter ;-) I'm sure you did, it was a great clip!

Very nice demo reel, sorry I have no input on your question.

Sure hope you got permission to fly near that helicopter ;-) I'm sure you did, it was a great clip!

I absolutely had permission...was working with the hospital and was in direct contact with the life-flight pilot...we were in total communication on this.

Thanks!

Reactions: LevitatedMedia
If you can sneak up the west busway off of 51South, there is a pull off 200 yards up on the right. Low interference and I have been able to fly the 2 miles to "The Point" which is past the stadium.

East Carson St turns into 51S. Anywhere near that point would be a good place to fly from.

Attachments

• IMG_3013.PNG
    IMG_3013.PNG
    5.4 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0097.JPG
    IMG_0097.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0098.JPG
    IMG_0098.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0095.JPG
    IMG_0095.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0096.JPG
    IMG_0096.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0099.JPG
    IMG_0099.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0022.PNG
    IMG_0022.PNG
    2.3 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0023.PNG
    IMG_0023.PNG
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
Very much appreciated....have you encountered no fly geo fencing around the stadium on DJI's app?

This really helps me out. Thanks

Quite a bit of Pittsburgh (to the East) is only restricted class Bravo above 2500agl... within 10 NM of KPIT is def no-no (without a waiver/COA from the FAA). This is one of the few Class Bravo areas where a lot of it is cool to fly (from an FAA/airspace standpoint, I make no claims about City of Pittsburgh film permits or launch and land municipal regs, though). Keep an eye out for TFR's around the stadium (an area which otherwise is Bravo from 2500, not SFC)

Quite a bit of Pittsburgh (to the East) is only restricted class Bravo above 2500agl... within 10 NM of KPIT is def no-no (without a waiver/COA from the FAA). This is one of the few Class Bravo areas where a lot of it is cool to fly (from an FAA/airspace standpoint, I make no claims about City of Pittsburgh film permits or launch and land municipal regs, though). Keep an eye out for TFR's around the stadium (an area which otherwise is Bravo from 2500, not SFC)

Thanks! Much appreciated.

Make sure you have the Airmap app on your phone and the link on your desktop. It stays on top of TFRs around the stadium, not to mention the dozen or so heliports around town.

Make sure you have the Airmap app on your phone and the link on your desktop. It stays on top of TFRs around the stadium, not to mention the dozen or so heliports around town.

Will do...Airmap is a great help. It looks like they may make the permission process to fly in controlled airspace much quicker and more efficient. As it stands right now (as least for me), the process is painful and any clients I have do not want to deal with it.

Thanks again for the advice. Go Bucks! Go Browns!

Mike Meyer
Columbus, Ohio

I work for a law Enforcement agency and we have a blanket COA.

Hey...

Here is a quick edit of what I shot in and around Pittsburgh. I really appreciate everyone's help. I learned that not having a smart phone with GPS is not a good thing. Mike Meyer, Columbus, Ohio.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ontvlive