Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!
Reaction score
So I am trying to figure out why if it is possible to fly inside a metallic structures such as a power plant boiler? I have had an inquiry to do so. I have done a lot of research and read a lot of posts, but still haven't gathered any concrete answers.
I am comfortable flying in ATTI mode.

I have read some people say that it causes strong compass interference, but yet I have heard many people say that they have done boiler inspections with a drone, and even seen some YouTube videos
Do the drones in these videos have no compass? Or is there something else I'm missing? And maybe there is someway to disable the compass?
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Infinity

Let me add something else to my question.

Do I need the compass in working condition without errors if I am flying in ATTI mode?

So I am trying to figure out why if it is possible to fly inside a metallic structures such as a power plant boiler? I have had an inquiry to do so. I have done a lot of research and read a lot of posts, but still haven't gathered any concrete answers.
I am comfortable flying in ATTI mode.

I have read some people say that it causes strong compass interference, but yet I have heard many people say that they have done boiler inspections with a drone, and even seen some YouTube videos
Do the drones in these videos have no compass? Or is there something else I'm missing? And maybe there is someway to disable the compass?
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Infinity

Did you end up finding out any information regarding this topic.
We are undertaking a project inside a silo, which would have to be done in atti mode. Interested to see other people's input

I did a light with my Mavic but in GPS mode (should be in WiFi mode actually). Was scary. Although I put it in Tripod mode. It worked out good enough and I could use my footage. Biggest issue was draft. No problem with the magnetism though

I did a construction progression shoot for a local steel building company and filmed the steel building frame of a 12 story building during construction. I tried flying around the ground floor of the building in atti mode and it was like trying to ice skate on my head. It's possible, but you have to be very comfortable with precise, un-aided, control of the drone. I was fine as I have 20+ years R/C plane and helicopter experience, but it just took me by surprise and it was hard to do control the drone and pan and tilt at the same time like I'm used to doing. And if you loose focus for a second, the drone could drift into the wall.

This was with my Phantom, not Inspire, so it's possible the Inspire may solely rely on the optical sensor if no gps AND no compass.

I am not quite sure about that. By the way the background music of this video is nice.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry