Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Flying inspire 1 without x3 camera gimbal but using DJI fpv system.

Reaction score
Hi there.
I have an inspire 1 and i have installed a DJI digital fpv system but need a bit of space for it so i have for the time being taken the x3 camera off.
i have done range tests with props off but i am concerned about the sd card information.
does the craft need the bin code every time you use the craft?
Thanks in advance

Hi there.
I have an inspire 1 and i have installed a DJI digital fpv system but need a bit of space for it so i have for the time being taken the x3 camera off.

Vague. Without knowing what type of system you have or your objectives, it's impossible to answer your questions intelligently.

i have done range tests with props off but i am concerned about the sd card information.

The SD card lives in the X3 camera. Without the camera (and zero information on this FPV system), the MicroSD card is a non-issue.

Without having a clue what you mean by "bin code," I can blanketly answer "No." The Inspire 1 doesn't need any kind of external data or "boot disk" to fly.

Thanks in advance

You bet. May I politely suggest a LOT more information so your questions can be better answered...unless, by some miracle, I answered it already.

D

Hi there.
Thanks in advance
Why?

So the pilot's view can be locked into the Inspire's orientation while the camera op can pan and tilt the camera to his heart's content without effecting the pilot's view....is my guess. It's why the Inspire 2 comes with this set up out of the box. I had this idea years ago, but just never implemented it. Because FPV systems are discreet systems, setting up an FPV system on an Inspire would be pretty easy.

D

So the pilot's view can be locked into the Inspire's orientation while the camera op can pan and tilt the camera to his heart's content without effecting the pilot's view....is my guess. It's why the Inspire 2 comes with this set up out of the box. I had this idea years ago, but just never implemented it. Because FPV systems are discreet systems, setting up an FPV system on an Inspire would be pretty easy.

D
But if you're taking away the X3, you don't have a camera to operate? Sorry, Donnie - I didn't explain my confusion very well. :)

I downloaded DroneVR a couple of weeks ago - can't believe I didn't find it years ago! For $30NZD it works fantastically using a $20 goggle with phone inserted - I would have paid double! Granted it's not a dual-cam setup, but by God it's good!

ML

Yeah got that, but if you're taking it away because you don't have space for that and the FPV system, then surely when you put it back you have to take away the FPV?

Yeah got that, but if you're taking it away because you don't have space for that and the FPV system, then surely when you put it back you have to take away the FPV?

I assume that for testing purposes, the X3 was simply in the way., so the OP removed it. Once tested and working, I assume the OP will then find a way to install the FPV camera in a logical location.

Because the FPV camera is small and can go anywhere, I would maybe velcro it to the arms. Put the antenna on the opposite side to balance the weight and the battery in the middle...unless they're getting FPV power off the Inspire battery. But if it were me, I would make the FPV system completely discreet.

D

Reactions: MCHL
I assume that for testing purposes, the X3 was simply in the way., so the OP removed it. Once tested and working, I assume the OP will then find a way to install the FPV camera in a logical location.

Because the FPV camera is small and can go anywhere, I would maybe velcro it to the arms. Put the antenna on the opposite side to balance the weight and the battery in the middle...unless they're getting FPV power off the Inspire battery. But if it were me, I would make the FPV system completely discreet.

D
Donnie, I'm converting one of my I1s to a miniature Agri sprayer (just because) - what sort of weight do you think I could get away with without compromising handling and flight times too much? 1kg? 2? Fluid reservoir on the top or bottom of the bird?

Thanks in advance
ML

Donnie, I'm converting one of my I1s to a miniature Agri sprayer (just because) - what sort of weight do you think I could get away with without compromising handling and flight times too much? 1kg? 2? Fluid reservoir on the top or bottom of the bird?

Thanks in advance
ML

Interesting. I never really considered the Inspire 1 a "lifter." This derived from my experience with the Inspire 1 regarding camera packages. Going off memory, I believe the X3 weighs about 250 grams and the X5 weighs in around 600 grams. That mere 350 gram difference REALLY changes the way the Inspire 1 handles. I never flew with the X5R, but I could imagine that that payload is probably 750 or 800 grams. I can only imagine how poorly the I1 handles with that package. Worth noting, all my experience is in the 5,000 - 7500 elevation range. So if you're at sea level, you may see better numbers and handling characteristics. That said...

Your FPV package sans battery probably weighs < 150 grams. Add a SMALL battery and I'm sure that takes you close to 200g. I honestly don't think I would feel comfortable with a total payload of any more than a Kg. Even then, as you stated, flight time will be highly compromised. As if that weren't bad enough, new Inspire 1 batteries are nearly impossible to find. I have about a dozen Inspire 1 batteries and I can tell you from great experience that flight times start to wane around 50 flights. The loss is gradual so I have batteries with over 80 flights still in service. I am **** about battery maintenance and storage. By my estimate, with a 1 KG payload and a newish battery (< 40 flights), assuming minimal battery draw from the sprayer, I would estimate flight times to be dismal - somewhere in the 7 minute range.

I don't want to discourage your project, but I my objective is to help keep your expectations reasonable.

If you deliver real numbers (weights, elevation, current draw, number of flights on your batteries, etc.), we can better calculate what your real-world flight times might be. But honestly, I bet my "educated guess" is not more than 10% off.

Oh...almost forgot... I would install the payload under the fuselage.

D

Hi there.
thank you for the feedback.
Looking back i did not explain myself properly i guess :~).
I see that some people have been installing analogue fpv systems to there inspire 1s with great results to get great shots with 1 pilot and 1 camera operator.
I have been using the dji fpv system with my racing quad and get good clear vision with minimal latency for freestyle flying.
I have placed the camera in the nosecone and the air unit is in place of the x3 camera at the moment and i have a fatshark goggle batt to run the unit.
I have plucked up the courage to fly the inspire 1 with the dji fpv system and its friggin awesome within 30 acres!!!
The camera will stay in the nose and i am testing if i can extend the camera cable so that i can place the unit just under the battery housing and get some Arial extensions from the unit that will be attached to the main arms.
The X3 will be put back on after testing as its quite fragile lol.
please excuse grammer as i am an old bloke with fat fingers and not very computeryfied!!!!
Thanks Again Jason

Interesting. I never really considered the Inspire 1 a "lifter." This derived from my experience with the Inspire 1 regarding camera packages. Going off memory, I believe the X3 weighs about 250 grams and the X5 weighs in around 600 grams. That mere 350 gram difference REALLY changes the way the Inspire 1 handles. I never flew with the X5R, but I could imagine that that payload is probably 750 or 800 grams. I can only imagine how poorly the I1 handles with that package. Worth noting, all my experience is in the 5,000 - 7500 elevation range. So if you're at sea level, you may see better numbers and handling characteristics. That said...

Your FPV package sans battery probably weighs < 150 grams. Add a SMALL battery and I'm sure that takes you close to 200g. I honestly don't think I would feel comfortable with a total payload of any more than a Kg. Even then, as you stated, flight time will be highly compromised. As if that weren't bad enough, new Inspire 1 batteries are nearly impossible to find. I have about a dozen Inspire 1 batteries and I can tell you from great experience that flight times start to wane around 50 flights. The loss is gradual so I have batteries with over 80 flights still in service. I am **** about battery maintenance and storage. By my estimate, with a 1 KG payload and a newish battery (< 40 flights), assuming minimal battery draw from the sprayer, I would estimate flight times to be dismal - somewhere in the 7 minute range.

I don't want to discourage your project, but I my objective is to help keep your expectations reasonable.

If you deliver real numbers (weights, elevation, current draw, number of flights on your batteries, etc.), we can better calculate what your real-world flight times might be. But honestly, I bet my "educated guess" is not more than 10% off.

Oh...almost forgot... I would install the payload under the fuselage.

D
Thanks Donnie. I'm under no illusions around flight times or handling, don't worry. Frankly, I don't know what possible use the thing is going to be other than to wet guests on their departure (or arrival) at home or to be the instigator of water fights with the kids! But it's been fun so far, and I always learn something new about the I1 when pulling them to pieces. :)

Reactions: Donnie Frank

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide