Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Flying UAV for Non-Recreational use

Fellas don't be so sensitive. The information that is being presented is for our own good. I don't want this info sugar coated. I want to know what's exactly at stake here. We all know that the public is out to make a quick buck and if they can do off of one unlucky quad-copter pilot, you know they will. Let's be honest, there are some wack jobs out there that like to fly these things to the edge and then post it on Facebook and that's why drones now get the stank eye from the public. Those few wack jobs have made all of us look bad. I don't like it but that's the reality. So let's just fly safe and set a good example.....let's be good ambassadors. Thanks for all the good info on this thread!!

Reactions: CaptainBadge
AMA insurance is nice to have while flying for fun. As soon as you do anything semi-commercial or for any type of compensation, AMA no longer covers you. Just food for thought.

AMA insurance is nice to have while flying for fun. As soon as you do anything semi-commercial or for any type of compensation, AMA no longer covers you. Just food for thought.
yeah I kind of thought so. It looks to be a cursory coverage

Just read on a website www.commercialdronehelper.org where they offer an easy to use Section 333 FAA exemption template, that you typically have to hire a lawyer (sometimes costing up to $5000) and you need to have a pilot license or be willing to hire a pilot to fly for you?!?! Wow! I need to have a regular pilots license to fly my DJI drone commercially?!!!? This just keeps getting deeper and deeper! I swear the more I look into this the more questions I have!

I'd have to go back and find where I read it but I remember an article that said you can not be hired to fly but you can sell your footage after the fact. This is pretty much the loop hole many people are excersizing.

Please quote where I eluded to it. If I did, I apologize (as I often find myself doing here :) )...

No worries Capt. We all try to help each other out in some form or another but mainly using a scenario with no background info as to experience, knowledge of rules and regulations alludes to bundling all non-333 into a lump sum.

I'd have to go back and find where I read it but I remember an article that said you can not be hired to fly but you can sell your footage after the fact. This is pretty much the loop hole many people are excersizing.

Mazz.

I believe you are referring to this.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngog...s-from-citizen-journalists-not-professionals/

Reactions: Mazz
No worries Capt. We all try to help each other out in some form or another but mainly using a scenario with no background info as to experience, knowledge of rules and regulations alludes to bundling all non-333 into a lump sum.

Mazz.

I believe you are referring to this.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngog...s-from-citizen-journalists-not-professionals/
This is absolutely it. Thank you. You will notice the hyperlink within the first few sentences. It will take you to an actual memo released by the FAA. It explains our "loophole." Best practice would be to print it out and keep it with you.

There are absolutely insurance solutions if you dont have a 333 or COA (we have both). Through the painful process of evaluating several insurance solutions we have settled on Highlands Aviation Insurance Agency www.highlandinsagcy.com , they pioneered a program with Global Aerospace and with a basic online course that covers standard operating procedures, you can get liability and hull insurance at very reasonable rates. We insure all of our Inspires (we do training) and all or our larger platforms and Tammy at Highlands was very responsive to our needs. i know a bunch of other folks on this forum use Highlands and my research concluded the same result. Waiting for 107 is crazy, thats like waiting for the FW/Autopilot/POI updates on the Inspire, who knows when that will happen....

Reactions: TrumperyDust
Fly safe. It is all about airmanship. These UAS are aircraft operating within the National Airspace System, and the operators of these aircraft should have the same knowledge of the regulations that govern the safe operation of other aircraft within the same airspace. Having an exemption is currently the best way big government (FAA) can attempt to ensure that operators of these aircraft will operate safely, thus mitigating the risk of operating UAS within the NAS. Yes, RC hobbyist have been flying for years in the NAS without much concern, however, the commercial applications of UAS are extensive and the market is ripe for the taking. This increases the probability that Bubba is going to fly his quad into the intake of a 737, this is exactly what the FAA is trying to avoid.

Fly safe. It is all about airmanship. These UAS are aircraft operating within the National Airspace System, and the operators of these aircraft should have the same knowledge of the regulations that govern the safe operation of other aircraft within the same airspace. Having an exemption is currently the best way big government (FAA) can attempt to ensure that operators of these aircraft will operate safely, thus mitigating the risk of operating UAS within the NAS. Yes, RC hobbyist have been flying for years in the NAS without much concern, however, the commercial applications of UAS are extensive and the market is ripe for the taking. This increases the probability that Bubba is going to fly his quad into the intake of a 737, this is exactly what the FAA is trying to avoid.

OK. So I just spent the last 2 hours searching the forum and couldn't find anything that clearly answers my question which is:

Can someone please explain in simple terms; what do I have to do to start using my drone to earn some money??? I' have poured over the FAA fact sheet, read and tried to decipher the FAA warning letter to YouTubers and like offenders. Read the 91-57 Advisory Circular and I've come across several posts about petitioning for a 333 exemption??? I'm more confused now then when I started looking.

I live in New England near the Canadian border where there is not a lot of drone owners and I'm being approached by several realtors, golf courses, Construction Co.'s etc. who are requesting my drone services. I've been an amateur photographer for the last decade and I'm going to be retiring in 8-10 years. I would love to earn some supplemental income by using my Inspire for my business but don't know what I need to do to comply with FAA Regs.

Anybody?
You need an operators licence, check out EuroUSC the theory course is £750 plus vat/ practical £350 plus vat, you will also learn how to operate safely and legally understanding air law and safe use.

Just read on a website www.commercialdronehelper.org where they offer an easy to use Section 333 FAA exemption template, that you typically have to hire a lawyer (sometimes costing up to $5000) and you need to have a pilot license or be willing to hire a pilot to fly for you?!?! Wow! I need to have a regular pilots license to fly my DJI drone commercially?!!!? This just keeps getting deeper and deeper! I swear the more I look into this the more questions I have!

Take a look at this page and the links to exemptions that the FAA has given. Multiple COAs have been given with exemption for a pilots license and medical. I'm early in this process but have applied for an N number for my Inspire (seems silly but...). I will use portions of the various applications as apply to me. I think you could do this without an attorney.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/legislative_programs/section_333/333_authorizations/

BarryA,

Could you show me specifically which company was granted an exemption where a pilots license was NOT needed? I looked through at least 50 and can't find one. thanks for your help in advance. Also can anyone point me in the direction of a quality UAV School in the US? Preferably as close to Pittsburgh as possible..

OK. So I just spent the last 2 hours searching the forum and couldn't find anything that clearly answers my question which is:

Can someone please explain in simple terms; what do I have to do to start using my drone to earn some money??? I' have poured over the FAA fact sheet, read and tried to decipher the FAA warning letter to YouTubers and like offenders. Read the 91-57 Advisory Circular and I've come across several posts about petitioning for a 333 exemption??? I'm more confused now then when I started looking.

I live in New England near the Canadian border where there is not a lot of drone owners and I'm being approached by several realtors, golf courses, Construction Co.'s etc. who are requesting my drone services. I've been an amateur photographer for the last decade and I'm going to be retiring in 8-10 years. I would love to earn some supplemental income by using my Inspire for my business but don't know what I need to do to comply with FAA Regs.

Anybody?
I'm really sorry to bump in your thread, but I need someone's experience to learn.
May I ask how those potential clients contacted you? I have been promoting my little entrepreneurship but to no avail. Was it for word of mouth with your contacts? Yes, maybe for your photograph background too.

Cheers and good luck!

BarryA,

Could you show me specifically which company was granted an exemption where a pilots license was NOT needed? I looked through at least 50 and can't find one. thanks for your help in advance. Also can anyone point me in the direction of a quality UAV School in the US? Preferably as close to Pittsburgh as possible..

Geez, sorry, I should have copied the specific exemption but didn't. I'm quite sure I found more than one with just a cursory scan through a few weeks back. In any case, I believe that if you make the argument that a pilots license is not relevant it holds water. I have an instrument ticket but am not current and will argue my knowledge of airspace and FAA procedures. I plan on using their language, eg. that I have over 6 hours in "make and model" with the Inspire.

I have it on good authority that without a 333 Exemption, your insurance policy is not worth the paper it's printed on. Of course, the insurance company won't tell you that, because they just want your money. But... If you're using the drone to make money, and you have an accident, you're screwed - insurance or no insurance.

Reactions: CaptainBadge
So anyway I took my first baby steps to becoming a viable business by joining AMA. Was pleased to see that they offer insurance as follows:

• $2,500,000 personal liability insurance coverage
  • $25,000 Medical Coverage-AD&D Policy ($10,000 Death Benefit)
  • $1,000 Fire, Theft, and Vandalism coverage
Not much I know but it's a start!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan