Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Flying Without Tablet?

Reaction score
I recently got my Inspire however I wont have access to a compatible tablet for another week. So, right now I want to fly it 3rd person like with my DJI Flamewheel. I have updated all the firmware and I am ready to take it for a test flight. Is it safe fly the Inspire without a tablet connected? If so, can I stay in P mode or should I switch to A mode?

You can fly it without tablet, but will obviously have none of the useful status information etc. You also have no way of configuring anything, which includes enabling flight modes other than P so you won't be able to use A at all.

Reactions: John Colley
I recently got my Inspire however I wont have access to a compatible tablet for another week. So, right now I want to fly it 3rd person like with my DJI Flamewheel. I have updated all the firmware and I am ready to take it for a test flight. Is it safe fly the Inspire without a tablet connected? If so, can I stay in P mode or should I switch to A mode?
I suggest just waiting until you can get one or using your cell phone ..
I wouldn't risk flying it !!
Keep in mind repair time is looking like 6 weeks or more so a week isn't long to wait...
Turbo..,,

I would certainly be wary of taking a first flight with no tablet. You have no way of checking IMU mod values etc and although you can 'force' a compass calibration manually you cannot do the same for the IMU.
You are talking about flying a machine from the box that has been subject to transit bumps and knocks and would have no way of checking or calibrating it.
My advice would be ....... Sit on your hands and wait (I know you're itching to fly it) :)

Wait! It's too expensive to risk it all.
It's only a few sleeps away.
What tablet did you purchase if you don't mind my asking.

Helli Sirnikolas,

Thanks for the response. I really like the Ipad Minis, so I am currently bidding on an iPad Mini 2, wifi version on Ebay, so I intend on caching maps. Any other suggestions?

You can fly it without tablet, but will obviously have none of the useful status information etc. You also have no way of configuring anything, which includes enabling flight modes other than P so you won't be able to use A at all.

Thank you for the response, Kilrah. From what others are saying, I am probably just going to wait to do the maiden flight until I have a method of checking for IMU proper/safe values.

Reactions: Kilrah
I would certainly be wary of taking a first flight with no tablet. You have no way of checking IMU mod values etc and although you can 'force' a compass calibration manually you cannot do the same for the IMU.
You are talking about flying a machine from the box that has been subject to transit bumps and knocks and would have no way of checking or calibrating it.
My advice would be ....... Sit on your hands and wait (I know you're itching to fly it) :)

Haha. Great advice. Thank you.

I would go as far and say it isnt safe to fly with out a phone\tablet connected to it, as you get a lot of information on the screen before and when flying.

You don't have a smart phone that you can use?:)

I would go as far and say it isnt safe to fly with out a phone\tablet connected to it, as you get a lot of information on the screen before and when flying.

You don't have a smart phone that you can use?:)

Good point. I just have an iPhone 4 but my buddy has a Samsung S5 so I will I am probably going to borrow it for the next week.

Reactions: turbodronepilot

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melodee207