Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Follow me for Inspire is here

Now we can still wonder what happens if we try to flash the new FW to an I1+X3 anyway...

Now we can still wonder what happens if we try to flash the new FW to an I1+X3 anyway...
Well, theoretically this would work as the Inspire Pro FW senses whether X3 or X5:is fitted. The esc FW would be ignored so (in theory everything should work)
However, we are talking about DJI software here which can be flakey on a good day and I for one am not willing to try this 'Frankenstein Experimental' step. :eek:

Well, theoretically this would work as the Inspire Pro FW senses whether X3 or X5:is fitted. The esc FW would be ignored so (in theory everything should work)
However, we are talking about DJI software here which can be flakey on a good day and I for one am not willing to try this 'Frankenstein Experimental' step. :eek:
I would not have done it - and I would not do such a thing and there after trust the same program to handle my Inspire in Follow mode

I know - I never really understood that.
Their engineers deem it unsafe to enable follow me in the app but they allow it through SDK for 3rd party apps!
Seems weird......

3rd party: Autopilot only uses the SDK for flight primitives. It has its own complete clean room implementation of follow me, POI, zip line etc and doesn't rely on the SDK for these functions.

Ditto for its upcoming Waypoints implementation.

I for one have found the DJI POI scary in its instability. The aircraft bounces around like its trying to remain level and looks like it might fall out of the sky at any moment. The Autopilot POI is liquid smooth.

I agree DJI could not be trusted wth a Follow Me for the Inspire.

3rd party: Autopilot only uses the SDK for flight primitives. It has its own complete clean room implementation of follow me, POI, zip line etc and doesn't rely on the SDK for these functions.

Ditto for its upcoming Waypoints implementation.

I for one have found the DJI POI scary in its instability. The aircraft bounces around like its trying to remain level and looks like it might fall out of the sky at any moment. The Autopilot POI is liquid smooth.

I agree DJI could not be trusted wth a Follow Me for the Inspire.

I tried the POI function after the new FW last night - I could not use more than a few seconds of my footage - very unstable. When I used the first time it was quite stable but it has become worse - and now with the narrower FOV of the X5 it is nearly useless.

I have to admit though that I am not using it often

As for Autoflight logic - I do not get it at all ( to difficult for me )

Reactions: damoncooper
I tried the POI function after the new FW last night - I could not use more than a few seconds of my footage - very unstable. When I used the first time it was quite stable but it has become worse - and now with the narrower FOV of the X5 it is nearly useless.

I have to admit though that I am not using it often

As for Autoflight logic - I do not get it at all ( to difficult for me )

Next release is much easier to use.

Maybe too many people are holding off on FW updates because of the NFZ's that were added, and the rumoured speed decrease, and this was done to make people decide to do the FW change (won't call it an 'upgrade' if the rumours are right about the effect it has on speed and places you can fly)

It's sort of dumb not to allow follow me with any of the DJI lineup. The best follow me is the Yuneec 500 you can place the machine right on the deck and it works perfect yet on the Pro Inspire you can't use it Hello!

I notice that follow me was active yesterday....after the FW update.....but I could not get it to work??? It kept giving me a message saying that the GPS signal was too weak???? I had 18 satellites talking to it at the time??? Strange???

Kirk

I notice that follow me was active yesterday....after the FW update.....but I could not get it to work??? It kept giving me a message saying that the GPS signal was too weak???? I had 18 satellites talking to it at the time??? Strange???

Kirk
Yes but how many sats being received by your remote which is what's needed to use follow me?
The whole thing is just too flakey and dangerous for me to even consider engaging the function on any of my platforms or with any third party app.

Reactions: Mike Walker
Firmware V1.1.0.40 for Inspire 1 Pro brought the Follow me function to the Inspire

I just tried for a few seconds today due to lack of batteries - but the few seconds seems to work well.
Try it out folks

Just finished first flights using Follow Me on Inspire 1 (non-pro) with 2015.12.7 firmware v1.5.0.30 update. Some observations: 1) Your mobile device must have GPS sensors. Did not work with my non-cellular iPad mini 2 (received warning that GPS signal was too weak), but worked fine with iPhone 6 Plus. 2) Follow Me will not engage if aircraft height is below 10m. 3) When Follow Me active, you can change height and yaw left or right, but you cannot go forward/backward or roll left or right. 4) I only tested walking and aircraft followed just fine, but certainly not as smooth as I would like. Maybe smoother when RC is moving faster.

Last edited:
I thought the follow me function utilized the remote control to determine your position. Ie thought it followed your remote with the link that it has with it

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I originally thought so also, but threads on this forum indicated the RC uses the device GPS and my own testing seems to agree. Lots of mixed descriptions on the forums on the exact nature of the RC / device GPS interaction.

Tested today on X3 with FW 1.5.00.30. Worked well, although not perfectly, was a little "hesitant". Can confirm it works off of tablet/phone GPS as it would not work with the tablet's GPS off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla