Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

For the cinematography junkies

Reaction score
Thought this was a cool relevant video, especially because I often try to re create shots you'd get with a camera crane. I like how we can get a lot of these shots using the inspire, and I've been very impressed on how it holds altitude, even when close to the ground no matter how hard I fly it. Basically the inspire can create and mimic so many of these movements but on a bigger scale. Feel free to post any other cinematography related contents and shooting techniques!

Although unlikely to ever rival the dynamics of modern shot making vehicles, the Inspire is certainly capable of tracking a moving target at close proximity. I shot this video recently of myself driving my Maverick through the forest. To your point, the Inspire does a good job of holding altitude and so all I needed to do was focus on forward and lateral movement to pace myself and steer clear of trees. With a dedicated operator and cameraman at the controls (and some big balls) there is no reason one couldn't replicate some of those more dynamic shots featured in your video. I would recommend steering clear of the parking garage though. Ceilings are not the inspire's friend.

Cloudy day and I had just a few passes to shoot these ladies, but I was super impressed with the variety of shots I could get in a very short amount of time. One remote control/operator. (can't afford another one.)

Thought this was a cool relevant video, especially because I often try to re create shots you'd get with a camera crane. I like how we can get a lot of these shots using the inspire, and I've been very impressed on how it holds altitude, even when close to the ground no matter how hard I fly it. Basically the inspire can create and mimic so many of these movements but on a bigger scale. Feel free to post any other cinematography related contents and shooting techniques!

This is amazing stuff! Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Tim
awesome video,
I dont see the inspire getting close to being able to do that though,

1) the frame cropping makes it look crap on close up objects,
2) when yawing fast, the video goes choppy

fab72,

Pretty cool video. I'm a P2 pilot. After viewing your video showing yourself driving, I'm confused how you did that. It didn't appear you were piloting the I1 using a controller, so I wonder if you were using some "Follow Me" mode?

If you have time, perhaps you can explain, for example, how do you set the distance the I1 would fly in front of you? How do you set if the I1 is following in front of you, on the back of you, on the left side or you, or the right side of you.

Thanks,

fab72,

Pretty cool video. I'm a P2 pilot. After viewing your video showing yourself driving, I'm confused how you did that. It didn't appear you were piloting the I1 using a controller, so I wonder if you were using some "Follow Me" mode?

If you have time, perhaps you can explain, for example, how do you set the distance the I1 would fly in front of you? How do you set if the I1 is following in front of you, on the back of you, on the left side or you, or the right side of you.

Thanks,
I assume it was manual flight, and a combination of good flying skills and good driving skills. If it was manual, my hat is off to the guy, he may have been driving slowly, but that is some awesome work

It was a manual flight where I was simultaneously driving and flying. I strapped the controller to the center console and was steering it with only my right hand. As the Inspire holds its altitude relatively well and the road was relatively straight and flat I could just focus on steering with the one stick. That being said, I did have to make occasional corrections. Another key to this was positioning the camera facing backwards so the bird would fly forward. This made the controls more intuitive but did result in more shots being spoiled by the tail of bird getting in the way of the camera. I think there is a way to do this flying the bird backwards for better camera work but I wasn't that courageous.

This wasn't my first attempt. I drove that same path slower in an earlier attempt, but started with a large empty meadow to practice. I probably only got up to about 20 mph on this drive, but was at about 35 in the meadow.

fab72,

I was tempted to say your video was crazy, but to be honest, it was cool and looks like it was safe. Glad to hear you practiced and gave the video some thought. Turning the camera around was cleaver, something that you can't do with a Phantom and a possible reason for me to go with the I1 over the P3.

Thanks,

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop