Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

FPV goggles that control the Inpsire 1 gimbal

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a plug and play set of FPV goggles that give you full control of the Inspire gimbal when you move your head? I have seen Proto types but nothing out on the market. New to the drone world any help would be appreciated

There are none. I know some guys are working on a phone app you can run instead of the Go app and put the phone in a VR holder, but nothing out that I know of and no separate solution.

Avegant Glyph!!!
Mine will be here in 2-weeks, full FPV w/head-tracking. Goes from headphones, to cinema by sliding headstrap down over eyes video is actually not a screen, but rather directed video into retina. They're actually the best looking, sounding, and high quality out there with an awesome array of extended features. Look them up on Kickstarter for latest news, or YouTube for several videos of them in action. They were made with the inspire 1 and Matrice in mind with regards to FPV, but they're also a portable cinema for home or on the go with rechargeable batteries etc. Here's the full final specs and features, along with order info, etc. Avegant Glyph Pre-Order Information
Hope^ works!!

Unless I'm really missing something big the glyph won't do head-tracking out of the box with an I1 (or any current aerial platform for that matter), so it's out of scope for this topic...

The only way at this point is a tethered smartphone and VR "case" like seen above.

Last edited:
The Glyph works very well as a FPV for drones, but Kilrah is correct in that it does not currently support head tracking.

I've talked to the designers (via emails), and have seen it working with I-1, so I'm not sure how head tracking doesn't work. It does pertain to this topic, and heady racking was designed and part of the 1st release as sent in the link to the backers (myself included)... Where it's being mentioned head tracing doesn't work...?

Ready to believe it does, but nowhere in the specs does it mention it's compatible, and I'd want an explanation of how it works then.
As far as we know the only way an Inspire will accept head tracking data is through an iOS or Android mobile device connected to the remote's USB port and running an app that makes use of the DJI SDK.
The Glyph does not seem to implement that. It works for video as the I1 provides a standard HDMI signal, but headtracking?

Yah, I'm really going to be pissed if it doesn't. From what I was told, it would use the HDMI port on RC, and somehow incorporate the head movements into the same way as using touchscreen to move camera now. While I do know about everything there is to know of drones (heli's, planes, etc.), I admit, I cannot really see how Avegant can incorporate this without working with DJI's SDK, and with that, it would seem DJI would reference it somewhere. My purchase was based on (clearly I might add), the email from Avegant stating head tracking will work with Matrice and I-1, with future developments for P3P, whereas now (supposedly) you can either yaw cameras left right, OR pitch up and down, but not both. Maybe I've been fooled, however, there are videos showing this on YouTube, but we all know how easy it is to make something look to be true that isn't. Either way, seems like a great technology, even if head tracking SDK is to be added. Really hope it works though, or I'll be referencing the emails I received. Although I probably wouldn't return it. My comment was originally based on what I was told, but definetly within the scope of the topic based on that.

I was a Glyph beta tester. The head tracking is something they were working on, but it was experimental. Not a focus of the initial firmware build.

I really dislike the Glyph for watching movies on airplanes (that was the original intent), but for FPV, I think it works extremely well. I'm looking forward to seeing the final release version, and will likely end up acquiring one.

RGloverii,
Is it you belief based on testing, it will be capable of head tracking if SDK is included into the firmware/app. In other words, is the technology of the Glyph there, and in order for it to work with I-1 etc. via the GoApp, it would only need proper FW acceptance through DJI? Without intention of hijacking thread, is there a main issue you disliked about the movies using Glyph? Got me curious and didn't think adding an additional topic for a question would hurt. My apologies if any offense is taken.

Having used dozens of different goggles I'd really like to try these - but not enough to splurge the cash just for trying.

RGloverii,
Is it you belief based on testing, it will be capable of head tracking if SDK is included into the firmware/app. In other words, is the technology of the Glyph there, and in order for it to work with I-1 etc. via the GoApp, it would only need proper FW acceptance through DJI? Without intention of hijacking thread, is there a main issue you disliked about the movies using Glyph? Got me curious and didn't think adding an additional topic for a question would hurt. My apologies if any offense is taken.

The Glyph is very heavy. It becomes uncomfortable to wear after a period of time. Especially on the nose. I wouldn't want to use it for extended periods of time, like for watching a movie.

That being said, the image quality is amazing. Best I have ever seen. Perfect for FPV, because most people don't fly a drone for hours at a time. 15 minutes at a time, then land, change batteries, and reset for another flight. That downtime gives your head a rest from wearing the Glyph, at least in my opinion.

On the beta units, the optics were not final, and had flaws. So I can't say what the final product will be like. I am hopeful they resolved the issues noted in testing.

As for the head tracking, it was my understanding that it was something they were experimenting with, but not a priority. They needed to get the main unit finalized and out the door. I strongly urged them to continue developing the feature so they could include it at some point. I told them I thought FPV use would likely be better suited for the Glyph than anything else, and that they should direct attention towards it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips