Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Freefly Astro: FINALLY a Competitor to the Inspire!

Freefly just did a livestream on their IG showing some closeups and more details for the Astro. The iteration they showed had RTK and the A7R4 camera, which they said was optimized for industrial mapping rather than cinema. They also said they'd be releasing several payloads within the first year, including what sounds like just a gimbal with no camera. It doesn't have ActiveBlade like the Alta X due to cost and complexity, and it has several battery options including one that's under 100 Wh for travel. The closeups that they showed of the camera also make it look like the camera is just an off the shelf A7R, so you should be able to take it off and at least have a kick *** ground-based camera if you need it. Props I believe are 21.5", so quite a bit bigger than the I2.

Based on all of this I'm thinking $20k is probably on the low end of what this could end up costing, as it's probably going to be equivalent to a completely maxed out I2 plus RTK which unfortunately costs a fortune.

The want is strong.
$20K ?? Watch the company disappear soon...Trying to compete with DJI by overpricing your stuff is not a winning strategy.

$20K ?? They are nuts. Watch the company disappear soon...
Freefly definitely knows what they’re doing and how to price stuff. They sell plenty of MUCH more expensive equipment. $20k would be painful, but it’ll be literally the only competitor to a maxed out I2 so I think they can get away with pricing it roughly the same as a high end I2.

Freefly definitely knows what they’re doing and how to price stuff. They sell plenty of MUCH more expensive equipment. $20k would be painful, but it’ll be literally the only competitor to a maxed out I2 so I think they can get away with pricing it roughly the same as a high end I2.
I dunno sounds like they are trying to compete more with a Matrice RTK rather than an Inspire. I’m all for another competitor to the industry and I imagine government will be all over a American made alternative but the M300 is pretty dope.

Reactions: atmosphericarts
I dunno sounds like they are trying to compete more with a Matrice RTK rather than an Inspire. I’m all for another competitor to the industry and I imagine government will be all over a American made alternative but the M300 is pretty dope.

Ya after seeing the expensive RTK module in the IG video it is starting to look that way, although it sounds like it has that nice gimbal/drone integration that we love in DJI products (both Matrice and Inspire). I'd love to see them release a cinema-optimized version with a Komodo. The just-enough level of integration and quality of life improvements that I think Freefly is great at would be amazing in a platform of that size and weight.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry