Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Future Drone Laws Against Inspire

I flew my quad with old firmware for a long time and no issues. I have also kept files of every update incase I need to go backwards. It may not be possible now to use it but of something bad happened with an update I could get into it to downgrade.

Just an FYI you cannot go backwards on the Inspire. The firmware verification process will not allow it.

i just hope it doesn't take a year or more for the commercial rules to pass. I like to think in this 60 day period for public comments (which ends April 24th), the FAA has gotten a huge amount of input which will hopefully trigger a timely response. Everything I read pretty much says it could take a year or 2. Mostly speculation I'm sure.

Just an FYI you cannot go backwards on the Inspire. The firmware verification process will not allow it.
Ya I tried it once. Absolutely does not work. I figure one day, if crap hits the fan, I may be able to get into and over-write some things. That's what I told the six different people who asked me for the old version files.

Ya I tried it once. Absolutely does not work. I figure one day, if crap hits the fan, I may be able to get into and over-write some things. That's what I told the six different people who asked me for the old version files.
I wonder if you renamed an older .bin file, from say 16.bin to 18.bin, checked file permissions then copied renamed file to clean sd, would this work?
I would guess it's not that simple, programmers probably got versions imbedded in .bin itself…

Enjoy life and be nice

Last edited:
I wonder if you renamed an older .bin file, from say 16.bin to 18.bin, checked file permissions then copied renamed file to clean sd, would this work?
I would guess it's not that simple, programmers probably got versions imbedded in .bin itself…

Enjoy life and be nice
This is what I was thinking. Or renaming it with the updated files name. I won't try until I need it though.

This is what I was thinking. Or renaming it with the updated files name. I won't try until I need it though.
Let us know, would be good to rollback firmware or unbrick if necessary.

Enjoy life and be nice

No, all individual versions are stored separately in the file, each of the 10 or so components will separately check respective versions and will only upgrade if the version is newer. I.e keeping old versions is useless.
And to answer the other question, some updates may be mandatory but not all. The last one wasn't, the previous one was.

Reactions: crashburn
My iPad doesn't go online until I put it online. I have never been asked to do a firmware update. The ones I did were because people here said they were availible. I keep away from updates until they have been run for a while. If we never put it online there can never be a mandatory update though, right?

Probably not. You'll never have maps then though.
Honestly never have maps up. Don't need Em much. I use the empty map more like a radar. Flew a job yesterday, actually, and never even thought about a map.

Honestly never have maps up. Don't need Em much. I use the empty map more like a radar. Flew a job yesterday, actually, and never even thought about a map.
I agree, usually only use map for orientation and blank screen is ok for that. However, if you go online only with google maps, android, and save the maps for offline use and don't cache the maps from the dji app, I think you would still have maps even if offline while using the android dji app. See
http://www.inspirepilots.com/index.php?posts/13085

Enjoy life and be nice

Last edited:

At the risk of sounding like a dunce, :confused: would you, please, explain in more detail what you're talking about, how it works and what it accomplishes? Just trying to learn what options/functions are out there to be a better UAV pilot.

Thank you!

At the risk of sounding like a dunce, :confused: would you, please, explain in more detail what you're talking about, how it works and what it accomplishes? Just trying to learn what options/functions are out there to be a better UAV pilot.

Thank you!
Turn tracking on, then it shows you on map where youve been so I usually use it to get back home if I get disoriented. Blank screen is ok for that, just follow track home.

Enjoy life and be nice

Thank you!
The square where the map would show does everything the same but on a checkered screen instead of a map. Map is definitely better if you have the time and resources to grab it I just never get a chance to. My iPad is WiFi so it would take me a whole extra minute to pair it to my phone. I'll be sorry one day I am sure.

I don't get it. Drones are here. They've been around a couple of years now.
Why does anyone think that someday the government will want to remove them?
Wouldn't they have done it earlier if (for some bizarre reason) they wanted to?
Has the government given any clue that it is even a remote possibility?
Has the government ever shown any interest in banning and confiscating anything else?
It's not going to happen.
I can only think it's extreme paranoia to imagine such a scenario and I find it really weird that people living in the "Land of the Free" can even consider it..

+1 guns vs drugs.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marve84