Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Fuzzy RTH procedure on inspire2?

Reaction score
Hello there,

I got a signal lost today. However the RTH function seems fuzzy and confusing. In Go4 apps, I have set the I2 to "RTH" if the signal lost, however it seems like the RTH is not activate immediate once the bird lost connection with controller??
Then I tap the RTH prompt on screen and it seems not really response and start returning

any idea?

--------------------------
0:33 - Signal Lost
0:38 - first RTH prompt raised. Tap RTH on the Go4 screen, but no response
0:58 - press RTH button on controller but the bird can't receive it? That should trigger the Go4 apps pre-set "RTH" function, doesn't it??
1:24 - bird receive signal but still not going home?
1:33 - second RTH prompt raised, tap again RTH on the Go4 screen

1:40 - start return home

Reactions: DamesNY
I had my RC just shut itself off 'partially' with the left color LED going out and the other four remaining on. I don't know what happened, but I had the bird set to Hover in Place rather than RTH and it did when the screen went gray on the iPad. I restarted the RC and all looked well and I got control again. Whew!

I also see some brief flash of the LEDs when unplugging or plugging in the RC into the charger. I'm leery of some voltage spike within the RC with that happening too and maybe cause for concern to the electronics.

I don't trust this thing fully. Not with some of the odd behavior of the software and apps either, like the the "Yaw Tuning" promise being in it and it isn't. Plus, it doesn't even control Yaw in my P4 but affects the Roll instead. Some DJI programmers need to be replaced before these expensive things self-destruct.

Hello there,

I got a signal lost today. However the RTH function seems fuzzy and confusing. In Go4 apps, I have set the I2 to "RTH" if the signal lost, however it seems like the RTH is not activate immediate once the bird lost connection with controller??
Then I tap the RTH prompt on screen and it seems not really response and start returning

any idea?

0:58 - press RTH button on controller but the bird can't receive it? That should trigger the Go4 apps pre-set "RTH" function, doesn't it??

Just curious, how are there 3 video screens in dji app?
I'm used to only 2.

Reactions: Tommy Bayshore
Nothing "fuzzy" here. It is just a misunderstanding by some of how RTH works and which component of the I2 system triggers it.

RTH on signal loss can take up to 30 seconds for the I2 AC to initiate any fail-safe RTH action. The reasoning behind this is that no signal is perfect. No matter how strong the signal, there are going to signal dead spots. The I2 is flight computer is constantly evaluating the LB2 control and video stream for any disruptions. If the I2 immediately imitated RTH each time the second it detected a signal was lost, the I2 would be basically unusable . You would continually fighting false triggering RTHs. Bottom line, iIf you loose signal long enough for the AC to start its fail-safe RTH you do NOT need to also initiate a RTH via the controller or DJI GO 4 app. The Go4 app RTH message is just a notification that the AC is experiencing repeated LOS that are not long enough for the F/C to initiate a fail-safe RTH and do you what to initiate a manual RTH? Once signal is re-acquired with the I2 AC you can initiate or cancel RTH within the DJI GO 4 app . The physical RTH button on the controller does basically the same thing. It does nothing to initiate a fail-safe RTH. You must already have a control signal to the AC before it can function.. If the I2 is already in a fail-safe RTH also I initiating a RTH via the app or controller button will only cancel any previous in-process fail-safe RTH. If you panic and issue multiple RTH commands the AC has to evaluate each and respond accordingly based any current RTH command already in-process.. Understating the differences between I2 controller initiated RTH vs the Go4 app initiated RTH and an AC LOS RTH is a fundamental skill any experienced DJI pilot must learn. Basically you need to relax and trust the DJI product to do what it is designed to do.

Last edited:
This did not happen with my Inspire 1 craft after installing a new Z3 camera and doing a new firmware update for the craft and camera. The message that I received on my tablet was return to home failed! Not once but each time after waiting a few minutes after pressing RTH. Needless to say my drone flew away never to be found. This happened in May of this year!

Nothing "fuzzy" here. It is just a misunderstanding by some of how RTH works and which component of the I2 system triggers it.

RTH on signal loss can take up to 30 seconds for the I2 AC to initiate any fail-safe RTH action. The reasoning behind this is that no signal is perfect. No matter how strong the signal, there are going to signal dead spots. The I2 is flight computer is constantly evaluating the LB2 control and video stream for any disruptions. If the I2 immediately imitated RTH each time the second it detected a signal was lost, the I2 would be basically unusable . You would continually fighting false triggering RTHs. Bottom line, iIf you loose signal long enough for the AC to start its fail-safe RTH you do NOT need to also initiate a RTH via the controller or DJI GO 4 app. The Go4 app RTH message is just a notification that the AC is experiencing repeated LOS that are not long enough for the F/C to initiate a fail-safe RTH and do you what to initiate a manual RTH? Once signal is re-acquired with the I2 AC you can initiate or cancel RTH within the DJI GO 4 app . The physical RTH button on the controller does basically the same thing. It does nothing to initiate a fail-safe RTH. You must already have a control signal to the AC before it can function.. If the I2 is already in a fail-safe RTH also I initiating a RTH via the app or controller button will only cancel any previous in-process fail-safe RTH. If you panic and issue multiple RTH commands the AC has to evaluate each and respond accordingly based any current RTH command already in-process.. Understating the differences between I2 controller initiated RTH vs the Go4 app initiated RTH and an AC LOS RTH is a fundamental skill any experienced DJI pilot must learn. Basically you need to relax and trust the DJI product to do what it is designed to do.

I recently had a very similar thing happen with my I2. Lost signal, (although at a reasonably close range, within 1/4 mile). The controller displayed weak signal a couple times, recovered, then lost it completely, giving me the "aircraft disconnected" message. I was flying over water at the tip of an island, so moving closer to it wasn't an option. I was completely disconnect from it for almost 10 minutes! The AC was hovering in place. Finally my remote started to beep in the way it would as of i had forgotten to turn it off after a flight. I turned it off, and back on again. At this point the AC reconnected as it was on a RTH path. My assumption is that the RTH when disconnected program didn't work, yet the critical battery level program worked which is why it made its way back. I checked the RTH setting and it was indeed set to REturn to home and not Hover.... so to this day I still don't know what happened but it was a terrifying 10 minutes!
Hello there,

any idea?

I recently experienced something very similar. I was flying my I2 over water, less than 1/4 mile out. I was on the tip of Boblo Island right between Windsor, Ontario and Detroit, Michigan. I flew from one side of the tip to the other, got weak signal message a couple times. The AC recovered, then it happened again. I raised it up hoping to a getting connection, but the AC simply disconnected. Because I was on an island, I was not able to get any closer to the AC. Despite having clear line of sight, the AC simply hovered. For nearly 10 minutes I was completely disconnected from the AC, simply watching it hover 1/4 mile out over the water. My remote started to beep, indicating that I had left it on too long and unconnected. I turned it off and then re-powered it. At this point, I started to hear the RTH beeping pattern.. the AC was on its way back and reconnected with the remote. After getting it on the ground, I checked the RTH setting on the GOapp. It was set to RTH..... I think the reason it came back was because it hit the critical battery level "subroutine" which forced it to RTH. I too was under the impression that after about 30 seconds of signal loss, the RTH could initiate, however in my case it clearly didn't.... leading to a very stressful 10 minutes! Is there a defined RTh delay? if so what is it? Thanks.

I recently had a very similar thing happen with my I2. Lost signal, (although at a reasonably close range, within 1/4 mile). The controller displayed weak signal a couple times, recovered, then lost it completely, giving me the "aircraft disconnected" message. I was flying over water at the tip of an island, so moving closer to it wasn't an option. I was completely disconnect from it for almost 10 minutes! The AC was hovering in place. Finally my remote started to beep in the way it would as of i had forgotten to turn it off after a flight. I turned it off, and back on again. At this point the AC reconnected as it was on a RTH path. My assumption is that the RTH when disconnected program didn't work, yet the critical battery level program worked which is why it made its way back. I checked the RTH setting and it was indeed set to REturn to home and not Hover.... so to this day I still don't know what happened but it was a terrifying 10 minutes!

I recently experienced something very similar. I was flying my I2 over water, less than 1/4 mile out. I was on the tip of Boblo Island right between Windsor, Ontario and Detroit, Michigan. I flew from one side of the tip to the other, got weak signal message a couple times. The AC recovered, then it happened again. I raised it up hoping to a getting connection, but the AC simply disconnected. Because I was on an island, I was not able to get any closer to the AC. Despite having clear line of sight, the AC simply hovered. For nearly 10 minutes I was completely disconnected from the AC, simply watching it hover 1/4 mile out over the water. My remote started to beep, indicating that I had left it on too long and unconnected. I turned it off and then re-powered it. At this point, I started to hear the RTH beeping pattern.. the AC was on its way back and reconnected with the remote. After getting it on the ground, I checked the RTH setting on the GOapp. It was set to RTH..... I think the reason it came back was because it hit the critical battery level "subroutine" which forced it to RTH. I too was under the impression that after about 30 seconds of signal loss, the RTH could initiate, however in my case it clearly didn't.... leading to a very stressful 10 minutes! Is there a defined RTh delay? if so what is it? Thanks.
Probably because your aircraft may never actually have been disconnected. Did you still have aircraft control but no video feed?
Losing video feed and aircraft RC control disconnection are two completely different things. The fact your aircraft remained in place for a number of minutes means it was still receiving command input from the RC.
RTH will be initiated after 3 seconds of loss of signal or data packet integrity corruption.
Your RTH was either triggered by low battery threshold or you turning the RC off.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irene