Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

General Inspire/Drone Operations Questions

Reaction score
I've been watching the evolution of drones with fascination as an outsider for a few years now, and have hit the point where I can afford to get one. I'm interested in high quality footage, good auto tracking, and excellent stabilization. I've been eyeing the Inspire series, but I don't know much about them and figured I'd ask some questions.

1) Is there really a massive difference between an Inspire 2 and a newer version of the Inspire 1? Like I said, I just need decent image resolution, decent autotracking, and good stabilization. I won't need to shoot raw or really understand the more intricate mechanics of manual photography settings. But I am slowly learning, so if there really is a night and day difference it'd be good to know. I don't necessarily need the speed increase, battery life is a plus but the extra couple minutes of battery out of the inspire 2 doesn't seem too justifiable considering the massive price difference between a new inspire 2 and a used inspire 1.

2) Is there a downside to buying a used inspire? Used Inspire 1's are pretty cheap online, is it just that they lose value second hand or are there genuine issues from buying second hand (aside from the fact that some previous owners may have thrashed theirs)?

3) If I buy one, I want to be fully FAA compliant. Is every drone operator required to get a remote pilot certificate, or does it only apply to commercial operators? I get the sense the FAA requires everyone to have one, but with the number of people I see at beaches and parks flying their drones around like it's a free for all makes me unsure.

4) Like I said, I'm just looking for high video quality, and looking at side by side comparisons of the X3 and the X5 I don't see a world of a difference. I understand I can upgrade to the X5 later if I started with an X3, but is there any massive benefits of the X5 over the X3. If so I may just start with the X5 so I don't have to spend more on an upgrade later.

5) What's the average service life of an inspire? How often do you have to replace components (ie rotors)?

Any other info that you think might be applicable is appreciated!

Last edited:
Reactions: John Archer
I've been watching the evolution of drones with fascination as an outsider for a few years now, and have hit the point where I can afford to get one. I'm interested in high quality footage, good auto tracking, and excellent stabilization. I've been eyeing the Inspire series, but I don't know much about them and figured I'd ask some questions.

1) Is there really a massive difference between an Inspire 2 and a newer version of the Inspire 1? Like I said, I just need decent image resolution, decent autotracking, and good stabilization. I won't need to shoot raw or really understand the more intricate mechanics of manual photography settings. But I am slowly learning, so if there really is a night and day difference it'd be good to know. I don't necessarily need the speed increase, battery life is a plus but the extra couple minutes of battery out of the inspire 2 doesn't seem too justifiable considering the massive price difference between a new inspire 2 and a used inspire 1.

2) Is there a downside to buying a used inspire? Used Inspire 1's are pretty cheap online, is it just that they lose value second hand or are there genuine issues from buying second hand (aside from the fact that some previous owners may have thrashed theirs)?

3) If I buy one, I want to be fully FAA compliant. Is every drone operator required to get a remote pilot certificate, or does it only apply to commercial operators? I get the sense the FAA requires everyone to have one, but with the number of people I see at beaches and parks flying their drones around like it's a free for all makes me unsure.

4) Like I said, I'm just looking for high video quality, and looking at side by side comparisons of the X3 and the X5 I don't see a world of a difference. I understand I can upgrade to the X5 later if I started with an X3, but is there any massive benefits of the X5 over the X3. If so I may just start with the X5 so I don't have to spend more on an upgrade later.

5) What's the average service life of an inspire? How often do you have to replace components (ie rotors)?

Any other info that you think might be applicable is appreciated!

Sir just my opinion I would get a inspire 1 v1 in good shape. I’ve got over 180 flying hrs on mine i got it used at a pawn shop from a local fedex pilot who pawned with 26 hrs on the bird.

As far as scheduled maintenance practices.. preflight I do preflight inspection and then a thru flight inspection between batteries, end of flying day i do a post bpo preflight.

About the only thing that would be changed would be the motor bearings but man the likelihood of those prayers going out to sprout it’s gonna take a while conservatively every hundred flight hours change the motor bearings just to be safe.

Propellers get the stupid DJi 15$ propellers yeah familiarize yourself with the aircraft and how it’s the flight dynamics are and all .But Zor props a must

Then about every five hours due to aircraft detailed inspection checking all fasteners screws seeing if they have loosened any or what not I want to check for wires and run through all the wires for the aircraft at least every 10 hours make sure there’s no chafing I have found instances where I’ve took an alarm apart and found wires bare which could cause a esc fail preventative maintenance goes a long way from Air Force crew chief here so this thing is nothing.
Obviously you want to check for cracks be very cautious of Loctite around the plastics It will eat it! stress cracks Aircraft they vibrate like hell in the air so yeah look for stress cracks. Only thing you really need oil is the worm drive under the boot. Now the flight controller it’s got a fan blowing dust and ******** constantly into those circuit board so take that ****** apart and blow it out every once in a while be careful not to blow too hard around that mems barometer
Myself I put a micron hard drive air filter over the barometer that seems to keep FOD out

Sir just my opinion I would get a inspire 1 v1 in good shape. I’ve got over 180 flying hrs on mine i got it used at a pawn shop from a local fedex pilot who pawned with 26 hrs on the bird.

As far as scheduled maintenance practices.. preflight I do preflight inspection and then a thru flight inspection between batteries, end of flying day i do a post bpo preflight.

About the only thing that would be changed would be the motor bearings but man the likelihood of those prayers going out to sprout it’s gonna take a while conservatively every hundred flight hours change the motor bearings just to be safe.

Propellers get the stupid DJi 15$ propellers yeah familiarize yourself with the aircraft and how it’s the flight dynamics are and all .But Zor props a must

Then about every five hours due to aircraft detailed inspection checking all fasteners screws seeing if they have loosened any or what not I want to check for wires and run through all the wires for the aircraft at least every 10 hours make sure there’s no chafing I have found instances where I’ve took an alarm apart and found wires bare which could cause a esc fail preventative maintenance goes a long way from Air Force crew chief here so this thing is nothing.
Obviously you want to check for cracks be very cautious of Loctite around the plastics It will eat it! stress cracks Aircraft they vibrate like hell in the air so yeah look for stress cracks. Only thing you really need oil is the worm drive under the boot. Now the flight controller it’s got a fan blowing dust and ******** constantly into those circuit board so take that ****** apart and blow it out every once in a while be careful not to blow too hard around that mems barometer
Myself I put a micron hard drive air filter over the barometer that seems to keep FOD out

Sf skyways1 hi, I have an insprie 1 v2 had it just over a year and it seems pretty good. I used it for some photo’s of a planning job for a new village and the blow ups were really excellent even on the standard camera. If you get one just give it a few seconds to make sure the gps lock’s before flying. I set off in a rush one day and stuffed it into a hedge, broke a couple of props but otherwise it didn’t seem to bother it. Good enough photo’s for most people unless you are trying to sell them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaricruzRa