Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

GL658B Controller testing

Reaction score
Might be an easy answer. Can I test or connect my controller to the Go app without the inspire available. I’ve purchased a spare controller and I don’t have the inspire to hand

Might be an easy answer. Can I test or connect my controller to the Go app without the inspire available. I’ve purchased a spare controller and I don’t have the inspire to hand
Yes. In addition, you can scan the area for WiFi interference via the Go App, like this:
1660228157305.png

This should tell you that at the very least the RC has basic functionality and the RF circuitry is working.

When disconnected from the RC, the Go App will show that it is "Disconnected." Like this:

1660228349634.png

Once connected to the RC, the gray area turns red and says "Aircraft Disconnected."

1660228686916.png

D

Last edited:
Donnie when I connect the iPad to the GL all I get is ‘how to connect’ screen . I’ve tried standard usb as well as OTG, nothing

Is it because it was previously bound to an aircraft and I need to do a reset on the controller. Appreciate any help

Donnie when I connect the iPad to the GL all I get is ‘how to connect’ screen . I’ve tried standard usb as well as OTG, nothing
There's a whole menu system you're missing. You need to swipe the screen to select the correct drone.

Wrong drone:

1660233774094.png

Wrong device:

1660233735403.png

Correct device/drone:

1660233819359.png

Is it because it was previously bound to an aircraft and I need to do a reset on the controller. Appreciate any help

The app will DEFAULT to the last connected device. Simply swipe to change to the correct device.

D

Attachments

• 1660233633406.png
    1660233633406.png
    209.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 1660233694577.png
    1660233694577.png
    81.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 1660233764620.png
    1660233764620.png
    227.2 KB · Views: 1
Donnie I’ve tried all options of drone and never get the camera option. I get the update database from the app but no options will connect. Remember I don’t have the inspire yet so wanted to check the second hand controller with the app before hand to make sure it works. The leds are all white with the very left staying red. I don’t understand why selecting a different drone would make a difference except maybe different controller protocols.

The only option which gives a camera option is Osmo Mobile and no Mavic option?

Donnie I’ve tried all options of drone and never get the camera option.
Send some screenshots.

I get the update database from the app but no options will connect.
There is no option to connect. Per my screenshots, it just says "Camera."

Remember I don’t have the inspire yet so wanted to check the second hand controller with the app before hand to make sure it works.

Yes. I'm well aware. I emphasized in my previous comment that the Inspire wasn't required.
1660240400726.png

The leds are all white with the very left staying red.
That is normal. The LED only changes color when it is linked to the drone.

I don’t understand why selecting a different drone would make a difference except maybe different controller protocols.
Correct. The software needs to be TOLD which drone (or controller) it's connecting to. It doesn't "auto-sense" the controller.

Send screenshots.

D

Sounds like my controller is faulty ? When I connect to Litchi or drone pilot, nothing . The main unit does ‘beep’ on button press and alarms when I don’t touch anything for a few minutes. All of these tests have been using 3 different iOS devices

Sounds like my controller is faulty ?
I don't know. You haven't replied to my suggestions, which leads me to believe that you didn't try them. And you didn't include any of the screenshots I requested.

When I connect to Litchi or drone pilot, nothing .
Inspire 1 uses the Go App. Your original post specifically asks about the Go App. But now you've switched gears to Pilot and Litchi. What happened to the Go App and the very complete, specific set of instructions I left for you complete with screenshots so even a monkey could do it????

The main unit does ‘beep’ on button press and alarms when I don’t touch anything for a few minutes. All of these tests have been using 3 different iOS devices
So safe to say it's not your iOS device. Did you change out the Thunderbolt (or Lightning...WTF it's called) cable??

I'm not sure why you are trying to use Pilot with an Inspire 1. Even if Pilot works, I don't know Pilot, which is why I left very comprehensive instructions for the Go App.

As long as you are a moving target, I can't help you. And honestly, I'm not interested in repeating myself and having my suggestions ignored. I'm out.

Good luck.

D

Donnie I’m sure a monkey could do it. I was just trying the other apps to just try anything. I’m sure the comms board on the back is faulty . I do appreciate your help, when a new person needs assistance and relies on others experience it’s always helpful if not always successful

Donnie I’m sure a monkey could do it. I was just trying the other apps to just try anything. I’m sure the comms board on the back is faulty . I do appreciate your help, when a new person needs assistance and relies on others experience it’s always helpful if not always successful
I assume you tried a different cable. But I don't know. Because you haven't mentioned it. I'm not convinced it's the USB board yet. I have 6 Inspire 1 controllers (A, B and C) and not one of them has a broken USB port. Some are used every week and some have sat for years.

D

Last edited:
D

Yes I’ve tried both a standard cable and a OTG in both usb and micro-usb. Last night I downloaded V1.3 controller firmware and the controller just sat with a red led nothing else. Any other suggestions you may have would be good please

Donnie I’ve downloaded the go app in an android tab and I get the camera option but under the app settings the controller info is blank . The developer options in android settings is enabled . The charge indicator on the tablet has a X

Attachments

• EAF0D8EC-8E88-4173-A1D3-A5B99FA6A35B.jpeg
    EAF0D8EC-8E88-4173-A1D3-A5B99FA6A35B.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • AA56E8FB-6A67-464E-BE9C-3F1B65CBB148.jpeg
    AA56E8FB-6A67-464E-BE9C-3F1B65CBB148.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
D

Yes I’ve tried both a standard cable and a OTG in both usb and micro-usb.
I don't know what an OTG is. And all cables should have a standard USB plug at one end and a Lightning plug at the other end. I assume you mean the micro USB jack on the controller. You won't use the micro USB jack on the controller.

Last night I downloaded V1.3 controller firmware and the controller just sat with a red led nothing else.
How did you attempt to install it? I've always upgraded and rolled back controller firmware via the Go App.

Any other suggestions you may have would be good please
Depending on the FW of your Inspire 1, either controller FW v1.6 or 1.7 should work with any iPad and any version of the Go App. Stick with the Go App. If it doesn't connect there, it's not going to connect anywhere. If your FW update fails, show screenshots or photos of the process and failure (not just the failure).

Of course, naturally, to upgrade your FW, you have to do it through the iPad. So naturally you iPad needs to connect to your controller. And an iPHONE doesn't count as an iPAD. Use an iPad. Not an iPhone.

Also stick with iOS (Apple) devices. An iPad is best. I have FOUR iPads ranging in age, iOS versions, capabilities and on and on, and all 4 work with all my birds. So stick with that. I know nothing about Android regarding drone apps.

Show your work.

D

Last edited:
Donnie I’ve downloaded the go app in an android tab and I get the camera option but under the app settings the controller info is blank . The developer options in android settings is enabled . The charge indicator on the tablet has a X
I already explained that the gray "Disconnect" at the top shows that you're not connected. We want to see a red "Aircraft Disconnected." Any other photos are moot.

D

Donnie I’ve sent the controller back to the seller. Let’s hope the next one works on the iPad . Appreciate the time

Reactions: Donnie Frank

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters