Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Go 4.1.7 Map View : blue "fan" / "wedge" and compass needle map views

Reaction score
I've been experimenting and searching for answer for an hour or so.

On the map view there is a compass needle icon. One tap on the compass icon shows the map "North up." T

Another tap on the compass needle shows the map angled at some arbitrary but fixed angle (in my case a heading of 045 up), but the compass needle itself moves as I rotate the RC, implying a relationship to the direction in which the RC is facing. FWIW I do have the Part 15 GPS dongle on the RC (but that typically would show position not heading). I see the same behavior without the GPS dongle.

I suspect that this second "up" mode should be an "RC heading up" view of the map.

However, the map itself does not move as I rotate the RC, nor does the "blue wedge" (or fan) (which on Go 3 / Inspire 1 shows you the direction that the RC is pointing).

Inspire 2 GPS signal 4 out of 5 bars, 10 sats.

Edit : Sorry, forgot to mention Compass showing 107, green.

Versions:
App: 4.1.7
RC 01.01.0001

Can anyone else confirm (a) what the second compass map view is supposed to be and (b) what the blue fan is supposed to depict?

Thanks in advance
Andy

Last edited:
I've been experimenting and searching for answer for an hour or so.

On the map view there is a compass needle icon. One tap on the compass icon shows the map "North up." T

Another tap on the compass needle shows the map angled at some arbitrary but fixed angle (in my case a heading of 045 up), but the compass needle itself moves as I rotate the RC, implying a relationship to the direction in which the RC is facing. FWIW I do have the Part 15 GPS dongle on the RC (but that typically would show position not heading). I see the same behavior without the GPS dongle.

I suspect that this second "up" mode should be an "RC heading up" view of the map.

However, the map itself does not move as I rotate the RC, nor does the "blue wedge" (or fan) (which on Go 3 / Inspire 1 shows you the direction that the RC is pointing).

Inspire 2 GPS signal 4 out of 5 bars, 10 sats.

Edit : Sorry, forgot to mention Compass showing 107, green.

Versions:
App: 4.1.7
RC 01.01.0001

Can anyone else confirm (a) what the second compass map view is supposed to be and (b) what the blue fan is supposed to depict?

Thanks in advance
Andy

The Blue Fan is, lets say the Artificial Horizon of the aircraft. It shows the pitch of the aircraft. When it is taking up half of the circle the I2 is in straight and level flight. When it is leaning to the left the I2 is pitching in that direction similar to leaning into the wind. If more of the circle is covered by blue to the front the I2 is pitching forward as it would in a faster forward speed. I hope this answers your question.

That's for the radar view, Mike. The blue semi-circle at the lower part of the radar view is indeed an artificial horizon and that works fine.

The one that's puzzling me is the one in the map view. I'll see if I can capture a screen shot.

Andy

Attached is a image showing the "blue fan" (or whatever one calls it). Note that the RC was rotated around to face West North West -- the compass needle reflects that, but the blue fan is pointing North East -- and the map shows North East Up.

Any idea what the blue fan is supposed to represent? As I said, I thought it was supposed to be the RC direction and the map was supposed to rotate to match the horizontal rotation of the RC but it is not doing that.

Thanks in advance for any info!
Andy

EDIT: First image posted was too small so I replaced it with a larger one. Let me know if it's still too small. My screen capture software (Capto, Mac OS Sierra) seems to have a very uneasy relationship with the screen on an iMac 5K).
Inspire 2 Go 4 app -- blue fan question.png

I just fired up my Inspire 1 and verified that the blue "fan" (a) does correspond to the direction in which the RC is pointed and (b) when the compass needle icon is tapped, the map view rotates to correspond to the direction in which the RC is pointed.

Looks like a bug in either the Go 4 app or perhaps a fault in the RC. I've a second RC so I'll try configuring that as the pilot's RC/Master and see if that changes anything. It it works correctly, then the problem's most likely in the RC, otherwise it will be the Go 4 app.

Andy

I just fired up my Inspire 1 and verified that the blue "fan" (a) does correspond to the direction in which the RC is pointed and (b) when the compass needle icon is tapped, the map view rotates to correspond to the direction in which the RC is pointed.

Looks like a bug in either the Go 4 app or perhaps a fault in the RC. I've a second RC so I'll try configuring that as the pilot's RC/Master and see if that changes anything. It it works correctly, then the problem's most likely in the RC, otherwise it will be the Go 4 app.

Andy

Hi Andy, Thanks for the update. I noticed that when I held my monitor vertically with reference to my face and then layed the monitor flat horizontally is where I saw the most movement in the compass pointer (give it a try). I have been going back and forth with the same results between my iPad Mini 4 and Crystalsky 5.5" monitor. I agree with you as this is some sort of app bug.

Hi Mike:
Yeah, what you're seeing are the horizontal and vertical components of the Earth's magnetic field. The difference can be quite significant. I believe it's called the "dip angle." See Magnetic dip - Wikipedia

Cheers
Andy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44