Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

GoPro reportedly planning to launch consumer drones next year

Well. well. Now we know why DJI wont make gimbals for the GP. Cant wait. You listening DJI? GP's customer service is exceptional. One must assume that they will be more accommodating to the various issues affecting their products then DJI is....let the games begin

Very happy about this, love the competition. With DJI moving away from GoPro to their own proprietary cameras, it makes sense for GoPro to get in this market.

The advantage that GoPro has over DJI is that DJI was never able to access the GoPro cameras to control them - start video, take photos, stop video, adjust settings, etc - from the transmitter on the ground. With a GoPro built UAV, obviously you'll be able to control a GoPro camera from the ground.

GoPro should steal Colin away from 3DR.

Last edited:
Reactions: lrwskyfilms
VERY excited about this. GP is an industry leader and while DJI wants to boast about being "the Kleenex of drones" their responsiveness to their customers is horrific! At this stage in the birth of the market, and with DJI's current dominant position, their utter lack of quality customer service will allow GoPro to catch up, surpass, and bury them. GoPro will ultimately thank DJI for building the market and then shooting themselves in the head by ignoring their foundational customer base.

Bring on a GoPro drone (and I say this as an owner of a P2V+ and Inspire 1 - and lots of accessories).

I congratulate them on the effort. Creating a drone is not as easy as it may appear. The FC and gimbal will be the deciding factor if they are successful.

I wish Sony would enter the market!

They have! Check out this awesome airborne Sony camera system. Dubbed the X3, it features a Sony EXMOR 1/2.3-inch type sensor with an f/2.8 20mm equivalent lens. The lens uses 9 elements in 9 groups, and contains an aspherical element, along with anti-distortion and UV filters. The X3 is capable of capturing 12MP JPEG and DNG Raw files and offers three capture modes including single shooting, burst shooting (3/5/7 fps options), and time lapse. Video capabilities include HD and UHD 4K (4096 x 2160) recording at 30 fps. It can be found on the DJI Inspire 1: http://www.dji.com/product/inspire-1

Agreed, the corner stone of every business model should be your customer base, how you treat them, listen to them, support them. You don't have to have the best product in the world, but if you treat your customer base with respect, you WILL reap the rewards. GoPro cameras are a very personal intimate window into our lives & passions. From staring at the nights sky in stunning time lapse or from dropping into a mountain of white powder in your snowboard. One extreme to another, if GoPro do their home work, it will be everything I'm looking in a camera platform.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Too right.... Consider this.... How many of the worlds population has knowledge of "DJI" ?. No offence towards "DJI". No how many of the worlds population has knowledge of "GoPro" ?

No competition.... I do not think GoPro would rush unless they had it right first time ;-)

Too right.... Consider this.... How many of the worlds population has knowledge of "DJI" ?. No offence towards "DJI". No how many of the worlds population has knowledge of "GoPro" ?

No competition.... I do not think GoPro would rush unless they had it right first time ;-)

I don't think they would rush either I'm sure they probably been in development for quite some time now and decided they official announce they are entering that arena with a release mid to late 2015 is not too far away.

Well if DJI can't get it right soon, I may well ask for my money back and save it for GoPro :)

Very happy about this, love the competition. With DJI moving away from GoPro to their own proprietary cameras, it makes sense for GoPro to get in this market.

The advantage that GoPro has over DJI is that DJI was never able to access the GoPro cameras to control them - start video, take photos, stop video, adjust settings, etc - from the transmitter on the ground. With a GoPro built UAV, obviously you'll be able to control a GoPro camera from the ground.

I agree. He knows his stuff.

.......The advantage that GoPro has over DJI is that DJI was never able to access the GoPro cameras to control them - start video, take photos, stop video, adjust settings, etc - from the transmitter on the ground. With a GoPro built UAV, obviously you'll be able to control a GoPro camera from the ground.

Only because DJI chose not to. It's easy enough to implement. Your video out (composite) feed is pin 2 but in order to get composite out of the GoPro there must also be a signal via ID3 and ID4 which are pins 21 and 22 respectively.
HD video out is via pins 1 through 3. It is able to supply composite video by pulling pins 20 and 21 low or Component (HD) video by just pulling pin 20 low. Also pins 5 and 6 double up the +5 volt USB bus to provide extra current capability while charging and in use at the same time
With regards to remote start/stop, this can easily be achieved through pin 17 which is the remote trigger pin.
DJI made a conscious decision not to exploit these capabilities via the GoPro interface!

As for Colin (Reality TV Show Contestant and Mobile/Cell phone salesman - No, neither of those are a joke....look it up !!!! ) Guinn. I think the UAV world is better off without him! (That's my own personal opinion but I pride myself on being a very good judge of character)

It will indeed be interesting...but i can't see GP going into drones like inspire 1 and better. GP will be direct competition to Phantom and Parrot.... Just my 2 cents on this.

Reactions: Jre and fizzviic

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool