Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Got too cocky... got in an argument with a branch...

Reaction score
I did what I said I wasn't going to do. I have stunt quads to play with but the Inspire is so smooth, I couldn't help but play a bit.

I was tossing and turning and when I whipped it around and went to go forward, it was still drifting back a bit.... a bit enough to catch a branch.

Needless to say, branch 1, Inspire 0.

Fortunately, the damage is hopefully minor. The arm for the gimbal broke, the plastic bracket it mounts to and a ribbon cable. (and a prop)

Hopefully I'm able to buy a replacement bracket and not an entire camera assy.

I told myself this is not a toy and if you want to play, you have cheap, disposable quads for that.

Lesson learned.

Now to try to buy parts.... That may be more painful than anything else.

Mark

You know.... This post is worthless without video. :D

Lesson learned I guess

LOL... funny thing is I just turned off the video.

So I contacted DJI and my worst fear was realized.... there is nothing you can do except return it to DJI and let them service it. I understand they'll have to go through it and calibrate this and that but had I not been such a newbie and thought about that, I would have never bought a product that I am forced to deal with the manufacturer only.

Another lesson learned.... buy something you can replace, fix or get spare parts for.

Once I get it back, I think I'll be selling it. I like it but I'm already forced to deal with Apple in this way and don't really want to be forced to send an entire craft across the country every time something happens.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

Mark

So after some searching, it might be repairable since apparently there are some parts available. Here's some pics.

IMG_0442_zpsrwm3bknb.jpg

Bracket for gimbal- available for about 80-100 bucks.

IMG_0441_zpsay64gbsk.jpg

Bottom of inspire is fine

IMG_0440_zpsggu9xoov.jpg

IMG_0437_zps0k3ap21d.jpg

Too bad this wasn't all that was damaged...

IMG_0438_zpsgvz4r7ki.jpg

Both ribbons are torn but apparently are available for $5 bucks.

IMG_0439_zpseygu2uox.jpg

The camera is the worst part because the bracket is broken which means I'm going to have to buy the entire camera assy. Still not the worst thing but...

Mark

On a positive note, at least you had your propeller locks on! :)...

I did what I said I wasn't going to do. I have stunt quads to play with but the Inspire is so smooth, I couldn't help but play a bit.

I was tossing and turning and when I whipped it around and went to go forward, it was still drifting back a bit.... a bit enough to catch a branch.

Needless to say, branch 1, Inspire 0.

Fortunately, the damage is hopefully minor. The arm for the gimbal broke, the plastic bracket it mounts to and a ribbon cable. (and a prop)

Hopefully I'm able to buy a replacement bracket and not an entire camera assy.

I told myself this is not a toy and if you want to play, you have cheap, disposable quads for that.

Lesson learned.

Now to try to buy parts.... That may be more painful than anything else.

Mark

So after some searching, it might be repairable since apparently there are some parts available. Here's some pics.

IMG_0442_zpsrwm3bknb.jpg

Bracket for gimbal- available for about 80-100 bucks.

Mark

Hey Mark

My Inspire had an argument with a rugby post when I was getting too cocky and your damage to the ribbon cables and mounting plate looks EXACTLY the same as mine ! Even your broken prop looks like mine.
The only difference is that my gimbal arm stayed in one piece and so the camera and gimbal are still serviceable.
I was about to pack mine off to DJI in Germany and not see it again for months and then I thought maybe I could replace the parts myself. I spent hours searching the internet for a ribbon cable and gimbal mounting plate. These are the two parts I eventually ordered from Toemen in Holland.
1 x DJI Inspire 1 Gimbal Mount & Plate (PART41) = €75,00
1 x DJI Inspire 1 Fast mounting Gimbal port cable (PART17) = €7,50

However it's 3 weeks since I ordered and they still haven't been dispatched. However the good news is that I've managed to make some repairs albeit it temporary and the bird is back flying again. Your plastic gimbal mounting plate broke in exactly the place as mine, so it must be a weak point. I superglued mine back together, and it's holding fine because the weight of the gimbal is taken by the grommets and not by the mounting plate. I managed to get the broken ribbon cable connected again and held in place by some silicon glue as the plastic catch that holds it in place was broken.

As a precaution I've put a couple of plastic cable ties through the front grommets , so if the mounting plate breaks again where it's been glued , the cable ties will hold the gimbal and camera in place.

Mossie,

Thanks for the reply, I did find the necc. parts but I obviously will need the gimbal which means buying the camera. Though I hate to spend 600-700 bucks repairing it, if parts are available, it's not too bad.

In this case, I'll probably send it to DJI because they have a better chance of having the parts than all these part companies that are showing it but not in stock.

I can see the two weak points is where the gimbal attaches to the aircraft and the flat bracket/plate. One needs reinforced, one needs to be aluminum.

Guess we'll see....

Mark

Last edited:
Dji Germany seems pretty fast although I haven't got it back yet. Three weeks or so and I should have it back. You might have been quicker sending to them. Not sure about price though I guess.

Endjinear, DJI Germany is fast......

Mine was sent in om the 28-2, arrived on 3-3 and on the 9-3 I heared that they could found out what caused the crash. So that day they sent me a brand new i1.

You can call them in you have your RMA and ask for the status of your repair.

Endjinear, DJI Germany is fast......

Mine was sent in om the 28-2, arrived on 3-3 and on the 9-3 I heared that they could found out what caused the crash. So that day they sent me a brand new i1.

You can call them in you have your RMA and ask for the status of your repair.

Yeah, somehow I don't think stupidity is something they'd send me a brand new Inspire from...lol.

I'm going to have to send it in. I just flew it and the spiral crank that raises and lowers the landing gear must be warped as when the landing gear goes up and down, it now has a shimmy to it.

Guess we'll send it in and start over...

Mark

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop