Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

GPS module for Inspire 2

Reaction score
I see the availability of the GPS module for the I2 radio, what's its purpose? I have a GPS receiver that I connect to my iPad mini via Bluetooth, will that accomplish the same thing? I'm not sure as there is no wire connection from GPS to radio, just iPad to radio.

Sent from my iPhone using InspirePilots

Reactions: kfeem05
Um, yes there is a connection for the gps device to the radio. Look on the back of your controller. No the thing you mentioned will not be the same. Gps module is for follow me modes and updated real time home point to where the controller is if you move from your take off point. Like if your on a moving boat the drone won't go back to where you previously where, it will come back to you where ever you are. Make sense?

Sent from my iPad using InspirePilots

Sorry didn't clearly explain...I realize there is a connection on the radio..I also have a P3P that in order for follow me, and dynamic home point to work, tablet GPS is required...that's what I used it for. So P3P could use GPS from tablet and I2 cannot? What is annoying is 3K aircraft should have the .50 cent GPS receiver built in to radio...sorry to go off topic..

Sent from my iPhone using InspirePilots

You can use your tablet, but by purchasing this $25 device, it will vastly improve the accuracy of the gps precision. Maybe they didn't put the gps inside the radio because it can cause interference. I am sure there is a good reason. The instruction manual for it says to keep it on top of the tablet holder, as far away from the antennas as possible.

Sent from my iPad using InspirePilots

The I2 remote does have built-in GPS but simply is not 100% reliable due to interference. This interference mainly comes from the GPS being built into the RC and then you've got the RC controls along with your viewing device mounted which can cause further interference. The goal of the Inspire 2 GPS Module is to have an external GPS that you can mount in clear view to the sky for the most accurate positioning possible.

You are correct that using the GPS built into your iPad or iPhone provides GPS positioning but from what we understand the Module will provide greater accuracy. Unfortunately we won't know for sure how well these modules perform until they begin shipping.

The I2 remote does have built-in GPS but simply is not 100% reliable due to interference. This interference mainly comes from the GPS being built into the RC and then you've got the RC controls along with your viewing device mounted which can cause further interference. The goal of the Inspire 2 GPS Module is to have an external GPS that you can mount in clear view to the sky for the most accurate positioning possible.

You are correct that using the GPS built into your iPad or iPhone provides GPS positioning but from what we understand the Module will provide greater accuracy. Unfortunately we won't know for sure how well these modules perform until they begin shipping.
A bit of a mixup here?
Inspire 1 has the GPS built in to the RC (albeit week), Inspire 2 RC does not have an GPS in RC as far as I know.

I just received my GPS module. Now I am thinking about the best way to mount and route the cables. The antenna goes on top obviously but the hub and cable routing... There does not seem to be any information on this. I hesitate to mount it on the rf module of the transmitter, and many parts of the transmitter are not smooth enough to hold the adhesives provided for mounting.

I just received my GPS module. Now I am thinking about the best way to mount and route the cables. The antenna goes on top obviously but the hub and cable routing... There does not seem to be any information on this. I hesitate to mount it on the rf module of the transmitter, and many parts of the transmitter are not smooth enough to hold the adhesives provided for mounting.
You mean the I/O panel? That has nothing to do with the RF, just video and usb...

fee571818be5551d5a8ef3cad75bbe9f.jpg

There ya go

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry