Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Hand Catching Bars

Reaction score
Website
www.hobbypiloot.nl
I often fly from boats and I think the hand catch procedures I saw on youtube look a bit risky. Nine out of ten times i will probably go fine. I'm just not to eager to be the 10th person to catch the I1 drone :)

Hence, for flights from boats or fine sand I'm thinking to -on a case by case- mount two 10 mm carbon tubes of 31 cm length each between the inspire's feet (at the end of the legs). The tube moves along with the legs/rotor blades so their will always be 15 cm between rotor blades and the tube which will be "grabbed". I have never seen the legs of the I1 in my camera view so the tube will most likely not be visible either. I use carbon, to avoid disturbance between the antenna cables that are mounted in the I1 legs and to keep the solution as light as possible, whilst being strong enough to do what I want it to do..

The solution will look something like this picture:

InspireHandRail.jpg

The tube can move a little to allow for the leg-dampers to do their work. The tube has 4 safety elastics on all ends of the tube-ends to prevent that the tube gets disconnected from one of the feet during flight or during landing. I intend to use 10 mm. hollow tube to reduce impact of side wind as much as possible. I will cut out a slice of 10 mm deep and 2-3 mm. wide so that the tube snugly fits on the feet. The weight of the tube will be approx. 30 grams. Total cost: 6 Euro...

The procedure I intend to follow when i have a brave volunteer with me: Switch off Auto Gear Down before taking off. When landing, place the drone 2 meters next to the "catcher" approx 60-80 cm above his/her head, front of the drone facing to the catcher. Then, slowly position the drone exactly above the catcher. Catcher grabs the drone. Pilot immediately shuts down the drone.

When i'm alone: Switch off Auto Gear Down before taking off. When landing, I place the drone 2 meters next to myself approx. 60-80 cm above my head, side of the drone facing to me. Then, I slowly position the drone 50 cm next to me. I grab the drone by the 10 mm. tube that is closed to me and immediately shut down the drone. Drone slowly tumbles around the tube, but by the time it is 90 degrees flipped, the rotors will have stopped.

Does this plan make any sense or have i overseen something?

Reactions: jon b
Personally, I would never want to risk trying and catch this, too risky, could end up looking like Frankenstein... maybe with a shark suit on and a full face helmet.... Just sayin'

Be careful when you hand catch the inspire (or any drone). It will hurt if you do it wrong.

R64sujq.jpg

What about attaching pool noodles to the gear and land in the water ???

Not sure, I would but I've seen videos on you tube of just that.

This has actually been done by a member here. @Kilrah has something like that.
Yep. Little correction, we used some plastic L-shaped profile. That's light yet doesn't bend much, we just sticked them with foamy double-sided tape.

The tests we did were fine, we lowered the gear before catching though. In comparison I'd NEVER accept to catch it by the battery.
We actually ended up removing them today because the boat-based gig unfortunately can't be done with an Inspire for other reasons.

Ok, I get the message: The people in this forum do not think this is a good idea.
Thanks for the feedback.
I do not get that feeling. I think it is an option for a solution. If you need an easy way to and catch on a boat and you can secure it tight enough and lower the gear first I think it works. I do not think the pilot should ever be the one to catch. This is something that could be practiced with two people in a way that works. Landing gear down and kept at arms length above the catcher makes sense to me.

I do not get that feeling. I think it is an option for a solution. If you need an easy way to and catch on a boat and you can secure it tight enough and lower the gear first I think it works. I do not think the pilot should ever be the one to catch. This is something that could be practiced with two people in a way that works. Landing gear down and kept at arms length above the catcher makes sense to me.
yup, totally agree, this is a way to do what you are trying. The poles have to be solid, then its the way to do it. I agree this is a 2 person deal

Coincidentally, I'm flying from a boat this weekend but I'm thinking of flying a phantom since they can be snatched from a boat single handed. Besides... Maybe just a little nervous to experiment with the Inspire.

Please take pictures or video and share your experiences

Reactions: lake_flyer
Coincidentally, I'm flying from a boat this weekend but I'm thinking of flying a phantom since they can be snatched from a boat single handed. Besides... Maybe just a little nervous to experiment with the Inspire.

Please take pictures or video and share your experiences
I was thinking the same thing. I will use my phantoms for risky catchings on a vessel. Inspire1 will always fly from a land based homepoint, even if filming around ships.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan