Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Hand catching the Inspire 1

Reaction score
Riding a boat , climbing mountain peaks and beach videos. There is simply no other way to land this bird.
Eagle handler glove required for safety .

Attachments

• inspire handcatch.jpg
    inspire handcatch.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 110
Riding a boat , climbing mountain peaks and beach videos. There is simply no other way to land this bird.
Eagle handler glove required for safety .
Yes this is something I've been wondering about. I hand catch my phantom 95% of the time, to a point where I don't feel comfortable landing it on solid ground. With the landing gear lowered on the Inspire 1, seems like we could get half our arm chopped off and that concerns me.

Is there a way to avoid the landing gear from coming down even if the optical flow sensors detect a close object like a hand. I would feel much more confident landing the Inspire when compared to a Phantom, but for mobile environments like boats and beaches, I would clearly prefer to hand catch.

Any details on this from first users?

Yes this is something I've been wondering about. I hand catch my phantom 95% of the time, to a point where I don't feel comfortable landing it on solid ground. With the landing gear lowered on the Inspire 1, seems like we could get half our arm chopped off and that concerns me.

Is there a way to avoid the landing gear from coming down even if the optical flow sensors detect a close object like a hand. I would feel much more confident landing the Inspire when compared to a Phantom, but for mobile environments like boats and beaches, I would clearly prefer to hand catch.

Any details on this from first users?

Romeo " Dji education director" demonstrate the UNOFFICIAL way of a hand catch .
I spoke to him and he was hesitant to elaborate for liability reasons obviously which I totally understand.

It's there is some room in the battery compartment area.

Hand catch,as I have said before will not be a big issue.
It is stable enough to have it overhead and reach up and grab it behind the camera.
Romeo's lips are sealed..I know.
We trade compliments and joke around etc. on facenbook all the time but with his new job his comments are very measured.
I have met Mark,his partner in crime..both of them are really nice guys.
They are pros and I look up to them as pilots and photographers greatly.

Reactions: hionbusa
Yesterday, we asked one of the "beta testers" about hand catching...his advice "DON'T! He said, "It could result in a really bad day at the office" and "That's an accident waiting to happen" I am paraphrasing, but that is the gist of his remarks.

Perhaps new owners can enlighten us with something: can we override the automatic lowering of the landing gear upon detection of close objects (our hand) by the optical flow sensor?

If we can keep the gear up, I think the safety concern drops significantly and hand catching won't be an issue. If there is no way to override (or prevent) the landing gear from lowering, I can imagine a 13 inch propeller rotating at 5000+ rpm can't feel too good across the face.

Reactions: hionbusa
I generally hand catch the Phantoms because of my concern for the low slung camera/gimbal.
I've the same concern about the I1, but the ground clearance seems to be better.
13" props can do much more damage than 9" props (actually the damage is bad regardless).
I'll probably have a sheet of plywood or masonite handy for landings until I am comfortable with some alternative...

T
I generally hand catch the Phantoms because of my concern for the low slung camera/gimbal.
I've the same concern about the I1, but the ground clearance seems to be better.
13" props can do much more damage than 9" props (actually the damage is bad regardless).
I'll probably have a sheet of plywood or masonite handy for landings until I am comfortable with some alternative...
That's all good if you happen to fly in the same region time and time again, but less practical when traveling around the world on a constant basis. Hope the hand catch is as easy to do as with the phantom.

Happy new year everyone, we just passed midnight here in Asia. Cheers.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla