Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Hibernation strategy ...

Reaction score
I did some research on this forum, but haven't find a definitive advice in that matter. So, what will be the best strategy (aside obvious storage at 50% charge) to avoid potential issues with hibernating batteries?

I did some research on this forum, but haven't find a definitive advice in that matter. So, what will be the best strategy (aside obvious storage at 50% charge) to avoid potential issues with hibernating batteries?
Store at around 50-60%/3.86v per cell and check the charge on each pack by pressing the button on each battery approx once a month. If you see any pack has dropped to a level where you have 1 led illuminated and the second one is flashing, top the pack back up to 50% again.
In practice, you shouldn't need to top up the packs more than once in any 60 days or so.
The important thing is, just keep an eye on them - maybe in the diary and just check them every 3 weeks if poss.
Doing this will stop them going into hibernation state or depleting too low.

Reactions: John Archer
The battery manages that for you
You again?! :D ... Like The Editor said, the battery self-managing system is not the most reliable way of winter storing maintenance. Many pilots were reporting dead, bricked and uncoverable batteries after winter season. That was due to an ugly firmware bug, presumably fixed by now, but ...

You again?! :D ... Like The Editor said, the battery self-managing system is not the most reliable way of winter storing maintenance. Many pilots were reporting dead, bricked and uncoverable batteries after winter season. That was due to an ugly firmware bug, presumably fixed by now, but ...
Yeah, it is supposed to be fixed but I personally prefer to manage my batteries and keep an eye on them.
Utilising the method I mention above I have had zero problems with any one of my TBxx packs (and I have 12 of them). The early ones have a good count of charge/discharge cycles on them and are still serving me well. :)

Yeah, it is supposed to be fixed but I personally prefer to manage my batteries and keep an eye on them.
Utilising the method I mention above I have had zero problems with any one of my TBxx packs (and I have 12 of them). The early ones have a good count of charge/discharge cycles on them and are still serving me well. :)
I store my batts in an ammo box, which I leave a bit open so air can circulate. Would it be safe to seal it up tight?

Store at around 50-60%/3.86v per cell and check the charge on each pack by pressing the button on each battery approx once a month. If you see any pack has dropped to a level where you have 1 led illuminated and the second one is flashing, top the pack back up to 50% again.
In practice, you shouldn't need to top up the packs more than once in any 60 days or so.
The important thing is, just keep an eye on them - maybe in the diary and just check them every 3 weeks if poss.
Doing this will stop them going into hibernation state or depleting too low.
I have severe CRS and would like to find a way to mark post like this one (and several others) for future reference so I don't end up asking the same question over and over. Is there a way to do that?

I have severe CRS and would like to find a way to mark post like this one (and several others) for future reference so I don't end up asking the same question over and over. Is there a way to do that?
Not really via the forum tools however, a couple of options you could use.
  • You could follow the thread in which case you would get notification everytime someone replied on it
  • You could just use your browsers bookmark facility to bookmark the particular thread URL and then change the name of the bookmark to something meaningful like 'DJI Inspire storage/hibernation strategy'
Then you could make a separate folder for all the bookmarked threads for this forum. Or you can just get an Elephantine memory like me. :p

Not really via the forum tools however, a coupel of options you could use.
  • You could follow the thread in which case you would get notification everytime someone replied on it
  • You could just use your browsers bookmark facility to bookmark the particular thread URL and then change the name of the bookmark to something meaningful like 'DJI Inspire storage/hibernation strategy'
Then you could make a separate folder for all the bookmarked threads for this forum. Or you can just get an Elephantine memory like me. :p
Thank you once again Sir! I will indeed follow the thread. Tried eating peanuts once to give me that Elephantine memory you mentioned but they just made me gassy. :eek:

Reactions: The Editor

I have an Inspire 1, with 4 batteries. Haven't flown for about 6 months and when I went to charge the batteries three of the four were 'dead' .. no lights w. press or w. 5 sec. press. Batteries are about a year old and probably have less than 2 hr. flight time total. All were stored at about 60% charge. Tried the process of disconnecting the charging board from the batteries internally, let them sit for a few hours and then reconnected and charge --> all three still 'dead' .. Now I have $600 collection of paperweights ... what a farce. LiPo batteries should hold their charge for 12 months at least, with very little loss ... And, once over-discharged they are wrecked forever. The 'hibernation' feature obviously doesn't work. Anyone hear of DJI standing behind their batteries? Anyone repairing them? Just need new cells ... I'm sure electronics are fine ...

I was informed by a DJI reseller that if you start the battery without it being in a aircraft it cancels the auto drain for that designated number of days...wondering the best way to float 50% without topping it off.

If you start the battery it restarts the internal day clock.
So, you take the battery out of the drone, double-tap 'start' it .. and then double-tap 'stop' it and it will not auto-discharge at all?

There needs to be some way to remove ANY electrical drain on a LiPo battery in storage ... and it will hold its charge for years!!

Just heard back from DJI .. only help they offer is "your battery is out of warranty ... better buy some new ones.

My reply:

Jenny (DJI tech rep),

I said in my original email that the batteries were out of warranty … I’m just trying to find someway to save $600 worth of batteries that appear to have been destroyed by an electrical drain during storage, something that looks to be an error is design by DJI …

Maybe a class-action lawsuit is in order. Designing a LiPo battery with ANY electrical drain when it is in storage will destroy the battery .. and that apparently is what happened. These batteries had not been used for only 6 months and were destroyed … They should have held their charge for many more months.

I wasn’t looking for warranty support .. just TECHNICAL SUPPORT to figure out a way to get the batteries FIXED! Replacing the cells would not be a difficult task …

Rich

I wonder how many perfectly good batteries have been destroyed by a design that drains them during storage? It would be simple to study the design and determine the 'drain' ... which should not be there during storage ...

Just heard back from DJI .. only help they offer is "your battery is out of warranty ... better buy some new ones.

My reply:

Jenny (DJI tech rep),

I said in my original email that the batteries were out of warranty … I’m just trying to find someway to save $600 worth of batteries that appear to have been destroyed by an electrical drain during storage, something that looks to be an error is design by DJI …

Maybe a class-action lawsuit is in order. Designing a LiPo battery with ANY electrical drain when it is in storage will destroy the battery .. and that apparently is what happened. These batteries had not been used for only 6 months and were destroyed … They should have held their charge for many more months.

I wasn’t looking for warranty support .. just TECHNICAL SUPPORT to figure out a way to get the batteries FIXED! Replacing the cells would not be a difficult task …

Rich

I wonder how many perfectly good batteries have been destroyed by a design that drains them during storage? It would be simple to study the design and determine the 'drain' ... which should not be there during storage ...
Old news I'm afraid. Intelligent Flight batteries are anything but. If you follow my guidelines above you will not have issues with hibernation.
You have waived your rights to any class action when you accepted the EULA within DJI Go.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop