Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Hobbyist shouldn't be tracked by FAA

Should hobbyist be tracked?

• Yes

Votes: 23 65.7%
  • No

Votes: 12 34.3%

• Total voters
I don’t fly my drone at 35,000’. I don’t see commercial airliners or any other aircraft under my 400’ agl ceiling. Why am I being punished and losing my freedoms? Because someone else can’t be responsible? How is the act of one or a few good enough to overreach and regulate the vast majority of people who fly these things?

Just because there are laws sayings felons can’t have guns, it doesn’t stop them. Law abiding citizens aren’t the issue here. I don’t feel like I should have to pay a penalty because someone else can’t follow the rules.

If I do something stupid, I should be held accountable. Period. Not my neighbors, not my friends, nor should any strangers.

There is no way to legislate stupid people from being stupid. It just doesn’t work. Never has, never will.

Thank you.

Well let me add my 2 cents. I see manned aircraft under 400ft All The Time over my property. Usually either Helo's from 34th street heliport on ill-advised nap-of-the-earth sightseeing tours, or military aircraft doing mountain terrain training out of Stewart International. Your mileage may vary by location. However, if I had the choice to squawk ADS-B out from my drone or fixed wing, I would elect that option, for my safety and the safety of others. Should that be mandatory? It's certainly an issue that's debatable, especially for hobbyists. I think it will be a moot point with NexGen, however.

I feel like the vast majority of the members here are professional pilots, not hobbyists like myself. The Inspire is a professional model, not aimed at the consumer market. I for one dabble in videos and really like the capabilities of my Inspire. So for me, at least until I get my license, this is just an expensive hobby. So of course the votes here on Inspire Pilots will skew towards pros saying the hobbyists should be tracked and regulated just as they are. However, if you were to post this very same poll on a general DJI forum, I'll just about guarantee the opposite would happen. Don't ya think?

I completely agree with the sentiment that the few "hobbyists" are the ones causing us issues here, but I'll also bet that people pushing this are just afraid. They don't know what they don't know and are making a knee-jerk reaction to these "scary flying machines that spy on me." A few incidences just don't prove to me that this is such a huge problem as it's being made out to be. It's a reaction to fear. Laws and regulations will not fix that either.

Last edited:
Reactions: slim.slamma
I feel like the vast majority of the members here are professional pilots, not hobbyists like myself. The Inspire is a professional model, not aimed at the consumer market. I for one dabble in videos and really like the capabilities of my Inspire. So for me, at least until I get my license, this is just an expensive hobby. So of course the votes here on Inspire Pilots will skew towards pros saying the hobbyists should be tracked and regulated just as they are. However, if you were to post this very same poll on a general DJI forum, I'll just about guarantee the opposite would happen. Don't ya think?

I completely agree with the sentiment that the few "hobbyists" are the ones causing us issues here, but I'll also bet that people pushing this are just afraid. They don't know what they don't know and are making a knee-jerk reaction to these "scary flying machines that spy on me." A few incidences just don't prove to me that this is such a huge problem as it's being made out to be. It's a reaction to fear. Laws and regulations will not fix that either.

Different approach............

I'm a professional.......I perform topographic surveys for an engineering firm. I2
On three occasions this year 2017.... I had to disrupt autonomous flight to move out of the way for small aircraft. I was flying 325 ft AGL..very annoying. All legal flight areas. Who do I complain to?
Nobody. Wish I could have read their transponders to give me a heads up rather than swallowing my heart scrambling to get out of their way.......and time delays. I can get one for a 600 dollar investment. Sooner or later I will get one....or other similar device........just sain. When small aircraft fly low and slow it can be difficult to hear them coming up on you. Especially from behind.
Fly safe.. Have fun..Happy New Year..

Reactions: dieselshadow
A transponder isn’t airframe specific nor is it tied to a certain pilot. I call BS on the individual tracking nonsense. I wouldn’t mind a simple and generic transponder specific to drones, maybe. But I’m against the entire need to track individuals and their particular craft and flights. My car may be registered, I may have a license, but the government doesn’t track where I go and when, nor do they need to. Heck, you can fly a real plane and not file a flight plan if you so choose. The same applies to my drone. “They” don’t need that info and I don’t plan on giving it to them.
hi, keep believing that... my friend had 2010 Land Rover LR4 HSE stolen for joy ride, the cops had it overnight, ALL CARS ARE TRACKED. at least the nice ones. and so are the nice drones :) :)

i am just glad i was "forced" to learn to build one myself entirely from scratch, before this DJI nonsense became available. I hate my I1, and love it, at the same time. my senior thesis was passive radar tracking of suas, which was pretty easy to accomplish with some crafty antennas and software. as for hardware, it was a $20 software defined radio.

Well let me add my 2 cents. I see manned aircraft under 400ft All The Time over my property. Usually either Helo's from 34th street heliport on ill-advised nap-of-the-earth sightseeing tours, or military aircraft doing mountain terrain training out of Stewart International. Your mileage may vary by location. However, if I had the choice to squawk ADS-B out from my drone or fixed wing, I would elect that option, for my safety and the safety of others. Should that be mandatory? It's certainly an issue that's debatable, especially for hobbyists. I think it will be a moot point with NexGen, however.

FAA is requiring ADS-B in all maned aircraft by 2020. ADS-Bs are presently installed in the DJI 200 series. Uavionix has a $190.00 DJI SDK compatable. I believe one of their models is preinstalled in the 200s but not sure. I am inquiring to DJI to see id they can be installed into an I2 frame. I certainly would love to know where the low flying aircraft are around me when I fly. I too see manned aircraft under 400 feet all the time and it can be a little upsetting when they sneak up on you at treetop level. For less than 200.00 I will get one if possible.

airspaceclassification.jpg

Ok, couple of things here to clarify for the current time. Manned aircraft can legally fly below 400' if they are within the correct airspace and meet a number of criteria in the FARS (for ex. you cannot fly directly over people). Manned aircraft that legally and regularly fly below 400'- crop duster's, med vac, para gliders etc. With that, it is also perfectly legal to fly unmanned aircraft above 400' for recreational purposes. There are of course criteria that have to be followed to fly recreationaly as well. (for ex. you must see and avoid manned aircraft, certain airspace limitations, use a spotter etc.) RC aircraft regularly and safely fly above 400' for recreational/competition purposes. Rockets, gliders, large RC planes, turbine's etc. There is a long history of safe operation of RC aircraft for well over 50 years.
FAA to AMA: Yes, You Can Fly Over 400 Feet - Unmanned Aerial

Reactions: AVImagingllc
Reactions: g36pilot
Not getting the logic here. Irresponsible hobbyists are just that...

Flying your drone at an airport etc. is not only irresponsabile but nefarious. Nefarious individuals arent going to openly make themselves "available" to the authorities by regestering or any other incremental public control.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThaddeusKo